Thorycal Issue with Improper Integrals

• Thread starter SclayP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: So, for an integral to converge, the function being integrated must be bounded on the interval of integration.In summary, for an integral to converge, the function being integrated must be bounded on the interval of integration. This means that there must be both an upper and lower bound for the function on that interval. In the example given, the function f(t) = 1/t is bounded on the interval [1, ∞), with an upper bound of 1 and a lower bound of 0.
SclayP
So, like i said in the Title this more of a theorycal question. In my university notebook i have written that an integral to converge has to happen the next:

1. The f has to be bounded (if not its just a dot)
2.The interval has to be finit.

[THIS IS WHAT IT'S WRITTEN IN MY NOTEBOOK]

See, my really issue is what it means to be bounded. If has to be in an interval, or if has to have Upper and Lower bounds. And why does it say that the interval has to be finit if there are integral that are definite betwen 0 and infinity, for example and converge.

------------------------------------------------------------------

For example:

[itex]\int^{infinty}_{1} \frac{1}{t} \, dt [/itex]

It's the function [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{t}[/itex] or [itex]ln|t| + C[/itex] that has to be bounded.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SclayP said:
So, like i said in the Title this more of a theorycal question. In my university notebook i have written that an integral to converge has to happen the next:

1. The f has to be bounded (if not its just a dot)
2.The interval has to be finit.

[THIS IS WHAT IT'S WRITTEN IN MY NOTEBOOK]

See, my really issue is what it means to be bounded.
Doesn't your book have a definition of this term? It doesn't have anything to do with dots, as you said above.
SclayP said:
If has to be in an interval, or if has to have Upper and Lower bounds. And why does it say that the interval has to be finit if there are integral that are definite betwen 0 and infinity, for example and converge.

------------------------------------------------------------------

For example:

[itex]\int^{infinty}_{1} \frac{1}{t} \, dt = ln|t| + C[/itex]
The above doesn't make sense. On the left side you have an improper definite integral. The right side is the antiderivative of 1/t. In other words
$$\int \frac{dt}{t} = ln|t| + C$$
SclayP said:
It's the function [itex]\int^{infinity}_{1} \frac{1}{t} \, dt[/itex] or [itex]ln|t| + C[/itex] that has to be bounded.
What has to

##\int_1^{\infty} \frac{dt}{t} ## is not a function. What has to be bounded is the integrand, the function you are integrating.

Mark44 said:
Doesn't your book have a definition of this term? It doesn't have anything to do with dots, as you said above.
The above doesn't make sense. On the left side you have an improper definite integral. The right side is the antiderivative of 1/t. In other words
$$\int \frac{dt}{t} = ln|t| + C$$

What has to

##\int_1^{\infty} \frac{dt}{t} ## is not a function. What has to be bounded is the integrand, the function you are integrating.

Sorry for my mistakes i confused, but thank you. But i ask you again, what really bothers me, if bounded means to be in an interval or ther have upper and lower bound. I know it sounds really stupid and maybe is obious but i don't get it. I wrote that integral beacuse the interval it's not finit, all the contrary, and i don't know if that function I'm integrating [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{t}[/itex] its bounded, again because i don't know what it really means.

Thanks and very sorry for my english.

SclayP said:
Sorry for my mistakes i confused, but thank you. But i ask you again, what really bothers me, if bounded means to be in an interval or ther have upper and lower bound. I know it sounds really stupid and maybe is obious but i don't get it. I wrote that integral beacuse the interval it's not finit, all the contrary, and i don't know if that function I'm integrating [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{t}[/itex] its bounded, again because i don't know what it really means.

Thanks and very sorry for my english.

On the interval [1, ∞), f(t) = 1/t is bounded. In fact it is bounded above by 1, because for any t ≥ 1, 1/t ≤ 1. On the same interval, f(t) is bounded below by 0, since f(t) > 0 for all t ≥ 1.

A function f is bounded above on an interval if there is some number M such that f(t) ≤ M for all t in that interval. The definition for bounded below is similar.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have both limits of integration as finite values or has a function that becomes unbounded within the limits of integration.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent improper integral?

A convergent improper integral is one where the limit of the integral exists and is a finite value. A divergent improper integral is one where the limit of the integral either does not exist or is an infinite value.

3. How do you determine if an improper integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral, we must evaluate the limit of the integral as the limits of integration approach infinity or negative infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, the integral is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is an infinite value, the integral is divergent.

4. What are some common types of improper integrals?

Some common types of improper integrals include integrals with an unbounded function, integrals with infinite limits of integration, and integrals with a discontinuity within the limits of integration.

5. How are improper integrals used in real-world applications?

Improper integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other areas of science to solve problems that involve infinite or unbounded quantities. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate areas under curves and determine probabilities of certain events.