Three blocks, two suspended, one on an incline

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving three blocks connected by ropes on an inclined plane with friction. The person is having trouble solving the problem and has provided various attempts at a solution. They finally ask for help with finding the correct answer and the tension in the ropes for two specific blocks. They eventually figure out the correct solution with the help of an expert.
lizzyb
Hi. I'm having a dickens of a time coming up with the correct answer for this.

I shall describe the question as it includes an image. There are three blocks altogether, b_1, b_2, b_3, each with a mass m_1, m_2, and m_3, respectively, and the blocks are all connected together by two ropes, T_1 between b_1 and b_2, and T_2 between b_2 and b_3. Blocks b_1 and b_3 are hanging from a pulley at the end an incline that has an angle of theta degrees (going up from left to right, b_1 on the left, b_3 on the right) and on this incline is b_2 which has a friction coefficient mu.

I've set it up a bunch of different ways but have not found the correct solution. Here is the last version:

m_1 g - T_1 = m_1 a
T_1 + sin(theta) m_2 g - mu cos(theta) m_2 g - T_2 = m_2 a
T_2 - m_3 g = - m_3 a (*)

For *, This was the last attempt to I made the acceleration negative (I tried it positive before).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx, lizzy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
let @ = incline angle (theta)
u = friction coefficient

(m1)g - T1 = (m1)a
T1 + (m2)gsin@ - u(m2)gcos@ - T2 = (m2)a
T2 - (m3)g = (m3)a

sum the three equations ...

(m1)g + (m2)g(sin@ - ucos@) - (m3)g = a(m1 + m2 + m3)

solve for "a" now?

thankx

Thank you for your response.

For m_1 = 7.5, m_2 = 2.7, m_3 = 2.5, @ = 24, u = 0.15, I came up with 3.91561. I entered it into the homework server but it said my answer was wrong and that was my last chance at the solution.

There are two other questions related to it though which I might be able to get right with your help:

What is the tension in the cord connected to the 2.5 kg block (b_3)?

* I answered 34.289 but that was wrong.

What is the tension in the cord connected to the 7.5 kg block (b_1)?

* I have not answered this one at all yet (but I have more than one shot of an answer, I think 7 altogether)

Thank you! :-)

using your data, I get a = 8.3 m/s^2

(m1)g + (m2)g(sin@ - ucos@) - (m3)g = a(m1 + m2 + m3)

==>
(m1)g + (m2)g(sin@ - ucos@) - (m3)g
a = -------------------------------------
(m1 + m2 + m3)

7.5 * 9.8 + 2.7 * 9.8(sin(24) - .15 cos(24)) - 2.5 * 9.8
= ------------------------------------------------------
( 7.5 + 2.7 + 2.5)

= ------------ = 4.42019

does that not look correct?

T2 = (m3)a + (m3)g = 2.5 * 4.42019 + 2.5 * 9.8 = 35.5505

** That's right according to the homework server **

T1 = (m1)g - (m1)a = 7.5 * 9.8 - 7.5 * 4.42019 = 40.3486

** right again! **

When I first tried to solve for a, I forgot to put in the g next to m2.

My original equations were just like yours but I tried to solve it by solving for T1 and T2 and then substituting those in - that must have been where I messed up I suppose - is there something special to summing the equations?

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited:

1. What is the setup of "Three blocks, two suspended, one on an incline" experiment?

The experiment involves three blocks: one on a flat surface, one suspended by a string, and one resting on an incline. The blocks are connected by a string, and the incline is adjustable to different angles.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the effects of forces and friction on objects in different positions and configurations. It helps us understand the principles of mechanics and how forces affect the motion of objects.

3. How does the placement of the blocks affect the results of the experiment?

The placement of the blocks can affect the results of the experiment as it changes the forces acting on each block. The suspended block will experience tension from the string, while the block on the incline will have the force of gravity acting on it at an angle.

4. What are some variables that can be manipulated in this experiment?

Some variables that can be manipulated in this experiment include the angle of the incline, the masses of the blocks, and the length of the string connecting the blocks. These variables can be changed to observe the effects on the forces and motion of the blocks.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Potential sources of error in this experiment include inaccurate measurements of the angles and masses, friction between the blocks and the surface, and external forces such as air resistance. These factors can affect the accuracy and consistency of the results.