Solving Blocks & Pulley Homework: Find Acceleration

In summary, the acceleration of the system is different depending on the equation used to solve for it.
Krappy

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1267/picture2ae.png

[tex]m_1 = 2kg[/tex]
[tex]m_2 = 6kg[/tex]
[tex]R = .25cm[/tex]
[tex]M = 10kg[/tex]
[tex]\theta = 30º[/tex]
[tex]\mu = 0.36[/tex]

Find the acceleration of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]m_1 a = T_1 - m_1 g \mu[/tex]
[tex]m_2 a = m_2 g \sin \theta - m_2 g \mu \cos \theta - T_2[/tex]
[tex]\tau = I a/R = R T_2 - R T_1 \cos \theta[/tex]I solved this system and the result is different from the solution.
What am I missing/doing wrong?Regards
Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Krappy said:
[tex]\tau = I a/R = R T_2 - R T_1 \cos \theta[/tex]
Why the cosθ factor?

Doc Al said:
Why the cosθ factor?

Because of the cross product. |r||F| * sin(x), but in that case, sin(x) is the cos(theta).

Krappy said:
Because of the cross product. |r||F| * sin(x), but in that case, sin(x) is the cos(theta).
When taking the cross product, the angle is between the vectors r and F. Since the ropes are tangential to the pulley, that angle is 90 degrees.

I have though about this and I think that T1 must equal to T2 because, if not, the string would be extending. Am I thinking right? I ask this since before I though that it was the difference between the two tensions T1 and T2 that would accelerate the pulley, but now, I don't think that's the case.

Now I have:

[tex]m_1 a = T - m_1 g \mu[/tex]
[tex]m_2 a = m_2 g \sin \theta - m_2 g \mu \cos \theta - T - \frac{Ia}{r^2}[/tex]

Which one is correct?

Krappy said:
I have though about this and I think that T1 must equal to T2 because, if not, the string would be extending. Am I thinking right?
No. Without a difference in string tension there would be no net torque to accelerate the pulley.
I ask this since before I though that it was the difference between the two tensions T1 and T2 that would accelerate the pulley, but now, I don't think that's the case.
You were right the first time. (Why did you change your mind?)

Now I have:

[tex]m_1 a = T - m_1 g \mu[/tex]
[tex]m_2 a = m_2 g \sin \theta - m_2 g \mu \cos \theta - T - \frac{Ia}{r^2}[/tex]

Which one is correct?
In addition to not reflecting the difference in tensions, the second equation looks odd since it has a term relating to the pulley. But the pulley only affects m_2 via the tension in the string that attaches to m_2.

You need three equations: one for each block and one for the pulley.

Thank you Doc Al.

I got confused since that with the last system I got the right answer. (Notice that if I substitute the equation T2-T1 = Ia/R^2 in the original second one, I get the same thing). The thing that I was missing in the first place was that both tensions were tangential to the pulley.

Thank you very much. ;)

Related to Solving Blocks & Pulley Homework: Find Acceleration

1. How do you calculate acceleration in a block and pulley system?

In order to calculate acceleration in a block and pulley system, you need to use Newton's second law of motion which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In a block and pulley system, the net force can be calculated by subtracting the weight of the block from the tension in the rope, and the mass can be calculated using the density and volume of the block. Once you have these values, you can use the formula a = F/m to calculate the acceleration.

2. What are the common variables used in solving block and pulley homework?

The common variables used in solving block and pulley homework include the mass of the block, the tension in the rope, the acceleration of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface it is on. Other variables that may be included depending on the specific problem could be the angle of the incline, the length of the rope, and the force of gravity.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the acceleration in a block and pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a block and pulley system does not affect the acceleration. The acceleration is dependent on the net force acting on the block, which is the difference between the weight of the block and the tension in the rope. The number of pulleys only affects the amount of force required to lift the block, not the acceleration.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a block and pulley system?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome in order to get an object to start moving, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already moving. In a block and pulley system, static friction would be the force that must be overcome to get the block to start moving, while kinetic friction would be the force that opposes the motion of the block as it moves along the surface.

5. How can you use the concept of work to solve block and pulley homework?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In a block and pulley system, work is used to calculate the change in kinetic energy of the block as it moves. By equating the work done on the block to the change in kinetic energy, you can solve for the acceleration of the block.