1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Charged Particles in an xy-plane

1. Aug 20, 2006 #1
    Question:

A particle of charge 4.96 nC is placed at the origin of an xy-coordinate system, and a second particle of charge -1.95 nC is placed on the positive x-axis at x = 3.99 cm. A third particle, of charge 6.04 nC is now placed at the point x = 3.99 cm, y = 3.05 cm.

Part A

Find the x-component of the total force exerted on the third charge by the other two.
    Use 8.85 * 10^(−12) C^2/(N*m^2)for the permittivity of free space.

I drew the first quadrant of an xy-plane and labeled the three particles. The force of one on three is 8.99*10^9)(4.96*10^(-9))(6.04\cdot10^(-9))/(.0502^2).
    which equals 1.07*10^(-4) N.

The x-component for this is 1.07*10^(-4)*(3.99)/(5.02). I believe there is no x-component for the second particle.

Am I right? I couldn't get the LaTeX to work, I apologize for that.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're saying the second particle exerts no force on the third particle in the x direction, then yes

4. Aug 20, 2006 #3
    Thanks

My professor uses Mastering Physics. I get five tries per part, and I usually start freaking out if I miss a few.

I got the entire question right. I just needed to calm down and consider a free-body diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?