Three Charged Particles in an xy-plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of three charged particles placed in an xy-coordinate system and the calculation of the x-component of the total force exerted on the third particle by the other two. The force is calculated using the permittivity of free space and the location of the particles. It is confirmed that the second particle exerts no force on the third particle in the x direction. The individual's experience with Mastering Physics and the importance of staying calm and considering a free-body diagram is also mentioned.
erik-the-red
Question:

A particle of charge 4.96 nC is placed at the origin of an xy-coordinate system, and a second particle of charge -1.95 nC is placed on the positive x-axis at x = 3.99 cm. A third particle, of charge 6.04 nC is now placed at the point x = 3.99 cm, y = 3.05 cm.

Part A

Find the x-component of the total force exerted on the third charge by the other two.
Use 8.85 * 10^(−12) C^2/(N*m^2)for the permittivity of free space.

I drew the first quadrant of an xy-plane and labeled the three particles. The force of one on three is 8.99*10^9)(4.96*10^(-9))(6.04\cdot10^(-9))/(.0502^2).
which equals 1.07*10^(-4) N.

The x-component for this is 1.07*10^(-4)*(3.99)/(5.02). I believe there is no x-component for the second particle.

Am I right? I couldn't get the LaTeX to work, I apologize for that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're saying the second particle exerts no force on the third particle in the x direction, then yes

Thanks

My professor uses Mastering Physics. I get five tries per part, and I usually start freaking out if I miss a few.

I got the entire question right. I just needed to calm down and consider a free-body diagram.

1. What are charged particles in an xy-plane?

Charged particles in an xy-plane refer to three particles with electrical charges that are positioned in a two-dimensional coordinate system known as the xy-plane.

2. How are the charges of the particles determined?

The charges of the particles are typically determined by conducting experiments or using mathematical equations based on their interactions with other particles and electric fields.

3. What is the importance of studying charged particles in an xy-plane?

Studying charged particles in an xy-plane can help scientists understand the behavior of electric charges and their interactions, which has numerous applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

4. How do the positions of the particles affect their electric potential energy?

The positions of the particles can affect their electric potential energy, as the potential energy is dependent on the distance between the particles and the strength of their electric charges.

5. Can the particles in an xy-plane have different charges or must they all be the same?

The particles in an xy-plane can have different charges, which can result in different interactions and potential energy values between the particles.