Three corollaries to a well-known theorem

• Thread starter snipez90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem and its proof that states the existence of integers x1 and y1 such that the greatest common divisor of integers a and b is equal to a*x1 + b*y1. Three corollaries are also discussed, with the first one being the least positive value of ax + by where x and y are integers. The conversation concludes with the realization that the corollaries are derived from the definition of the greatest common divisor.
snipez90
Hello, I need help verifying a few corollaries that follow from the following proof. I will attempt to reconstruct the proof as given in the textbook. Although the theorem is not particularly intuitive, at least to me, I think I fully understand it.

Theorem: Let g be the greatest common divisor of integers a and b and denote it (a,b). Prove that there exist integers x1 and y1 such that g = (a,b) = a*x1 + b*y1.

Proof:

Consider the linear combinations ax + by where x,y range over all integers. Fix a and b. This set of integers contains negative and positive values, as well as 0 by the choice x = y = 0. There must exist a least positive value L in the set and let L = a*x1 + b*y1.

Now we show that L|a and L|b. Assume on the contrary that L does not divide a. Then there exists positive integers q and r such that a = qL + r where 0 < r < L. Then we have r = a - qL = a - q(a*x1 + b*y1) = a(1-q*x1) + b(-q*y1). Hence r is also a member of the set ax + by, which contradicts the minimality of L. Thus L|a. Similarly, we can show that L|b.

Since g is the greatest common divisor of a and b, there exists integers A and B such that a = gA and b = gB. Then we have L = a*x1 + b*y1 = g(A*x1 + B*y1), which implies that g|L. Since g > 0, L > 0, g [tex]\leq[/tex] L. If g < L, then we have a contradiction since g is the greatest common divisor of a and b(remember, L|a and L|b). Thus g = L = a*x1 + b*y1. QED.

Now for the three corollaries:
1. The (a,b), the gcd of a and b, is the least positive value of ax + by where x and y are integers.
2. (a,b) is the common divisor of a and b that is divisible by every common divisor
3. If an integer h is expressible as h = ax + by, then h is not necessarily (a,b) but (a,b)|h and particularly if h = 1, then (a,b) = 1.

The second corollary is most intuitive I think. To prove it, suppose d is any common divisor of a and b. Then d|a and d|b which implies that d|(ax + by). Thus we can choose x and y such that d|(a,b).

In fact, now that I take a closer look, the proofs for the second and third corollary rely on essentially the same property I think? Let g = (a,b) then g|a and g|b so g|(ax+by). Since ax + by = h, g|h. If h = 1, and g > 0, then g = (a,b) = 1.

Then that just leaves the first corollary. I think I'm confused. Does it immediately follow from the proof? In the proof, I assumed L was the least positive linear combination ax + by and deduced that it equaled the gcd so logically the corollary must follow?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
corollaries

snipez90 said:
Then that just leaves the first corollary. I think I'm confused. Does it immediately follow from the proof? In the proof, I assumed L was the least positive linear combination ax + by and deduced that it equaled the gcd so logically the corollary must follow?

Hi snipez90! :smile:

Corollaries are usually such easy proofs that they don't deserve to be recognised as separate theorems.

In this case, it follows from the definition of g:

g divides both a and b, so it divides all ax + by, so they can't be less than g. :smile:

Hmm, thanks for that perspective. Now the theorem is intuitive after all and the motivation behind the initially mysterious proof is clear.

I think I'll try not to get too caught up on my "formal" textbook heh.

Related to Three corollaries to a well-known theorem

What is a corollary?

A corollary is a statement that follows directly from a previously proven theorem or statement.

What is a well-known theorem?

A well-known theorem is a mathematical statement or principle that has been widely studied and accepted by the scientific community.

What are the three corollaries to a well-known theorem?

The three corollaries to a well-known theorem are additional statements that can be derived from the original theorem, using the same assumptions and proof techniques.

Why are corollaries important in mathematics?

Corollaries allow for the extension of a theorem's applications and provide further understanding of its implications. They also demonstrate the interconnectedness of different mathematical concepts.

How are corollaries different from lemmas and propositions?

Corollaries are similar to lemmas and propositions in that they are all statements that follow from a previous theorem. However, corollaries are typically more straightforward and easier to prove, while lemmas and propositions are often used as intermediate steps in the proof of a larger theorem.