Three dimensional tracefree tensor?

• I
  • Thread starter Pencilvester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of shear in three dimensions in relation to geodesic congruences. The individual defines tensor B and questions how to make it tracefree in three dimensions. They suggest various possibilities, such as making the diagonal components equal with opposite signs or having one component equal 0, but it is ultimately concluded that the relationship between the diagonal components is irrelevant as long as their sum is zero. The conversation also includes a simple example using a cube with sides (1+a), (1+b), and (1+c) to illustrate the concept of tracefree and its connection to the expansion scalar.
Pencilvester
TL;DR Summary
I’m not sure how that works.
Hi PF, I’m working through “A Relativist’s Toolkit” by Poisson, and I’m in the section on geodesic congruances, subsection: kinematics of a deformable medium. I got through the section on the 2-dimensional example that introduced expansion, shear, and rotation just fine, but I’m having trouble with the generalization to three dimensions, specifically with shear.

I’ll have to start by defining tensor B as he does:$$\frac{d\xi^a}{dt}=B^a_b (t)\xi^b +O(\xi^2)$$where ##\xi## is the displacement vector. In the 2-dimensional example, shear was introduced as the case where B is symmetric and tracefree, so the top left and bottom right components were equal but with opposite signs. That’s fine. But how does that generalize to three dimensions? The only way I can think to make it tracefree is by making the diagonal components equal without varying signs, but scaling at least one of them by some coefficient in order to make them cancel out. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or I guess one component could equal 0?

The sum of the diagonal elements is zero. There is nothing else to it.

Likes vanhees71 and Pencilvester
Ha. So the relationship between the diagonal components is irrelevant if one even exists at all (other than they must all add to zero). I think the fact that in two dimensions one component equals the other (with opposite sign of course) threw me. I didn’t even think about the fact that that’s the only possibility when you’re only adding two things together. Well thanks!

Suppose you have a cube with sides (1+a), (1+b), (1+c). a,b, and c can be regarded as displacements of the faces. Then the volume of the cube is $$(1+a)(1+b)(1+c) \approx 1+a+b+c$$ to the first order.

So when a+b+c=0, the trace is zero, and the volume of the element doesn't change, which is consistent with the idea that the expansion scalar is zero.

Likes vanhees71

What is a three dimensional tracefree tensor?

A three dimensional tracefree tensor is a mathematical object used in the field of tensor analysis. It is a three-dimensional array of numbers that represents the transformation properties of a vector or other geometric object in three-dimensional space. It is called "tracefree" because the sum of its diagonal elements is always zero.

What is the significance of a tracefree tensor?

The tracefree property of a tensor is important because it allows for a more precise representation of the transformation properties of a geometric object. It also simplifies certain mathematical operations and allows for easier interpretation of results.

How is a tracefree tensor different from a regular tensor?

A regular tensor may have non-zero diagonal elements, while a tracefree tensor always has a sum of zero on its diagonal. This means that a tracefree tensor has fewer independent components than a regular tensor, making it more efficient to work with in certain calculations.

What are some applications of tracefree tensors?

Tracefree tensors are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful in the study of fluid mechanics, where they can be used to describe the deformation of a fluid in three-dimensional space.

How are tracefree tensors calculated?

Tracefree tensors can be calculated using a variety of methods, depending on the specific application. In general, they involve performing operations on vectors or other geometric objects in three-dimensional space, such as taking dot products or cross products. Advanced mathematical techniques, such as tensor calculus, may also be used.