Three lines two neurons and M×M receptors.

In summary, the individual is interested in AI and has raised a question about assigning neurons to different types of lines in the world. They are also looking for recommendations for books on statistics, probability, and neural networks, with a preference for shorter books. They have a background in mechanical engineering and are familiar with linear algebra and calculus. Suggestions for introductory books on probability, statistical inference, regression analysis, and applied probability are provided, along with a mention of more advanced materials for graduate studies. The individual is encouraged to ask specific questions for further assistance.
MacIntoShiba
Dear all, I have lately been interested in AI.

One of my thoughts has been as follows:

What if we have two 'neurons' and the world consists of vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines. How would we go about making sure only one neuron is assigned to either vertical or horizontal lines and that diagonal lines are neglected. Another related question would be the minimum amount of visual receptors which provide inputs to these two neurons. Let's say we need M×M recptors to spot a line. With M needs at least be 3×3, but maybe 4×4 would give better results. So there is a tradeoff between cost (number of receptors) and reward, certainty with which lines can be detected.Also I would like to start reading up on statistics/probability/neural networks. I have not studied these topics before so it needs to be an introduction. I am also a bit allergic to books with 1000+ pages so shorter is better. I have done a master in mechanical engineering,
so I do know about lin algebra, calculus etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey MacIntoShiba.

There are a number of books on the areas you are seeking and for probability and statistics you will first have to learn probability and after that do statistical inference, regression and applied probability.

First books on probability often look at the same thing and something like below is a good introduction:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0495110817/?tag=pfamazon01-20

After that you look at statistical inference, regression analysis and applied probability.

Here is a good applied probability model book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0124079482/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Graduate stuff goes into more abstraction and into different data types along with a more rigorous treatment of probability.

If you have specific questions on probability and statistics let us know in the thread so we can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are three lines two neurons and M×M receptors?

Three lines two neurons and M×M receptors refer to a scientific concept where three lines, representing three different types of neurons, interact with each other through M×M receptors. These receptors are specialized proteins that facilitate communication between neurons.

2. How do three lines two neurons and M×M receptors work together?

The three lines, or types of neurons, each have their own specific M×M receptors. When these receptors are activated by neurotransmitters released from other neurons, they allow for communication and signaling between the neurons. This communication is crucial for various functions in the body, such as movement, sensation, and cognition.

3. What is the significance of three lines two neurons and M×M receptors in neuroscience?

This concept is important in understanding how neurons communicate and how different types of neurons interact with each other. It also plays a role in the development of neurological disorders, as disruptions in the function of M×M receptors can lead to problems with neuronal communication.

4. Can three lines two neurons and M×M receptors be found in all organisms?

While this concept is primarily studied in mammals, similar mechanisms have been found in other organisms as well. For example, the roundworm C. elegans has been used as a model to study neuronal communication through M×M receptors.

5. How is research on three lines two neurons and M×M receptors being applied in real-world situations?

Understanding the function and interactions of three lines two neurons and M×M receptors has led to advancements in treatments for neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease. It has also provided insights into how drugs and medications can target these receptors to modulate neuronal communication.