Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three phase phasor proof or simplification

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    So I'm really rusty on phasors, I was reading that a space vector current was

i(t) = I(cos(wt)<0 + cos(wt - 120)<120 + cos(wt - 240)<240 ) = 3/2 * I < wt

and I couldn't figure out how that could be so (still can't, please help)

So I tried to go back to basics and I went back and read:

A = CosΘ.Cos(wt) + Cos(Θ - 120).Cos(wt - 120) + Cos(Θ + 120).Cos(wt + 120)
    = 3/2 * Cos(Θ - wt)

so I went back to Trig identities.....and pages of scribbling later still couldn't figure it out.
    Does anyone have a proof for either of these?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2015 #2
    A note: phasors and space vectors are two very different concepts.
    - A phasor is a representation of a sinusoidal function with parameters that are time-invariant.
    - A space vector is a transformation that maps a set of real-valued functions to a complex-valued function, which usually has some type of spatial interpretation (used a lot in electric machine theory).

Have you tried converting all the terms to their complex representation? Then do a bit of algebra.

4. Sep 20, 2015 #3
    Yeah as far as I remember a space vector is the addition of phasors through feeding a sineusoidally current to a sineusoidally distributed winding in space.
    Yeah I tried that thanks.
    As you can see in what you quoted the angle term becomes the frequency * time. It should be simple, I'm just not doing something right.

What about:
    no idea how it reduces to that?

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4
    No, phasors aren't involved at all when you're working with space vectors, which is a good thing, since you'd otherwise be limited to steady-state analysis.

If you have a function ##i(t) = A\sin(\omega t + \theta)##, where ##A, \omega, \theta## are constants, then its phasor representation is ##I = Ae^{j\theta}##.

If this:
    $$ \mathbf{i_s} = i_a(t) + i_b(t) \mathbf{a} + i_c(t) \mathbf{a}^2, \mathbf{a} = e^{2\pi/3}$$
    is the space-vector transformation, then, for instance, the term ##i_b(t) \mathbf{a}## is not a phasor, even though it is complex. ##i_b## is just an arbitrary real-valued function of ##t##, and ##\mathbf{a}## isn't a phasor representation of a sinusoidal function.

##i_a, i_b, i_c## aren't restricted to sinusoidal functions, and the space-vector transformation is just as useful for windings that aren't sinusoidally distributed.

I can help you with the algebra if you show your work.

Try doing the complex algebra first.

6. Sep 21, 2015 #5
    Could please you elaborate on that?

Anyway isn't what I've posted just phasors?

7. Sep 21, 2015 #6
    That was the purpose of the rest of my post. Can you be a bit more specific? :smile:

No, a phasor is a complex constant, i.e. they have no time dependency.

None of these terms are phasors.

Edit:
    Just to reiterate: a phasor is a complex constant, but not all complex constants are phasors. As I wrote, a phasor encodes the time-invariant amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal function.

You can have voltage and current phasors, but their complex ratio, the impedance, isn't a phasor, since it doesn't encode the parameters of a sinusoidal function.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  8. Sep 21, 2015 #7
    Oups, that should be ##\mathbf{a} = e^{j2\pi/3}##.

9. Sep 21, 2015 #8
    ok thanks, found the paper:

i(t) = I(cos(wt)<0 + cos(wt - 120)<120 + cos(wt - 240)<240 ) = 3/2 * I < wt

=[ei(wt)+e-i(wt)]/2 + [ei(wt +120)+ei(wt + 120)]/2 * (-1/2 + i√3/2) + [ei(wt -120)+ei(wt - 120)]/2 * (-1/2 + i√3/2) = ...

And

A = CosΘ.Cos(wt) + Cos(Θ - 120).Cos(wt - 120) + Cos(Θ + 120).Cos(wt + 120)
    = 3/2 * Cos(Θ - wt)

using: sin(wt).sin(Θ) = [Cos(Θ - wt) - Cos(Θ + wt)] / 2
    and Cos(a).Cos(b) = Cos(a - b) + sin(a).Sin(b)

cos(Θ - wt) + sin(wt).sin(Θ) + cos(Θ - 120 -(wt - 120)) + sin(Θ - 120).sin(wt - 120) + cos(Θ + 120 - (wt + 120) )+ sin(Θ + 120).sin(wt + 120)

cos(Θ - wt) + [Cos(Θ - wt) - Cos(Θ + wt)] / 2 + cos(Θ - wt) + [cos(Θ - wt) - cos(Θ + wt + 240)] / 2 + cos(Θ - wt) + [cos(Θ - wt) - cos(Θ + wt + 240)/2 = ...

cheers!

10. Sep 21, 2015 #9
    hmm,
    so are you saying the thing that makes it a phasor is that there is not 't', the 'wt' is implicit, you have to keep it in the back of your mind? Like a phasor has an invisible frequency, but the phasor itself just a complex value?

11. Sep 22, 2015 #10
    Not exactly. What makes a complex constant a phasor is the mapping it represents. It's just a compact way of representing a sinusoidal function with time-invariant parameters, which, in the framework of steady-state AC analysis, is very convenient mathematically to work with. But this is really getting away from the point I was trying to make:

Space vectors have nothing to do with phasors. There are no complex constants, like ##Ae^{j\theta}##, which maps to a sinusoidal function, present in this expression:
    $$
    i_a(t) + i_b(t) \mathbf{a} + i_c(t) \mathbf{a}^2, \mathbf{a} = e^{j2\pi/3}
    $$
    You're just working with complex numbers here. Phasors belong in a completely different framework.

There are similarities between space vectors and symmetrical components, in which you actually do work with phasors, but the theory of symmetrical components only deal with steady-state analysis, which is the crucial difference.

12. Sep 22, 2015 #11
    I sort of hear what you're saying, I'll endevour to think about it more, I think some specific maths would help. What did you think of the track I went down with my working for the initial two expression derivations?
    Cheers

13. Sep 22, 2015 #12
    Focusing on the first bit, I'd start with polar form. It'll make the algebra lot easier:
    $$
    \cos(\omega t) + \cos(\omega t + 2\pi/3)e^{j2\pi/3} + \cos(\omega t - 2\pi/3)e^{-j2\pi/3}
    $$

14. Sep 22, 2015 #13
    I can see in your script the last negative is there, but for some reason it didn't display on my browser.

Right, well, I suppose I could factor out the ej2pi/3

Cos(wt) + ej2pi/3[cos(wt + 2pi/3) + cos(wt - 2pi/3).e^-1]
    ...actually that didn't help
    So I suppose those trig relations were of no relevance?

Sorry, this is embarrassing

15. Sep 22, 2015 #14
    You were on the right track before by converting the cosines to their complex form. I just wanted you to start out with:
    $$
    \cos(\omega t) + \cos(\omega t + 2\pi/3)e^{j2\pi/3} + \cos(\omega t - 2\pi/3)e^{-j2\pi/3}
    $$
    instead.

No it's not :smile:.

16. Sep 22, 2015 #15
    I appreciate your tact.

So If I leave the Cosines in their current form, how can I simplify them?

Thank you

P.S also what about:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  17. Sep 22, 2015 #16
    Convert the complex exponentials to their rectangular form (like you did), i.e. ##e^{j2\pi/3} = -\frac{1}{2} + j\frac{\sqrt3}{2}, e^{j4\pi/3} = -\frac{1}{2} - j\frac{\sqrt3}{2}##, expand terms, and see what you get.

There's probably a more elegant way to show it, but I'd just use the angle sum identities, so you have, for instance:
    $$
    \cos\left(\theta - \frac{2\pi}{3}\right) = \cos(\theta)\cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right) + \sin(\theta)\sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right) = -\frac{1}{2}\cos(\theta) + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin(\theta)
    $$
    and expand terms.

18. Sep 22, 2015 #17
    Very well, here goes:
    i(t) = I(cos(wt)<0 + cos(wt - 120)<120 + cos(wt - 240)<240 ) = I[ cos(wt) + cos(wt + 120)*(-0.5 + j√3/2) + cos(wt + 240)*(-0.5 - j√3/2)]
    = .... what am I not seeing?
    = 3/2 * I < wt

19. Sep 22, 2015 #18
    Did you have a look at the angle sum identities?

20. Sep 22, 2015 #19
    Ah, I see:
    i(t) = I(cos(wt)<0 + cos(wt - 120)<120 + cos(wt - 240)<240 ) = I[ cos(wt) + cos(wt + 120)*(-0.5 + j√3/2) + cos(wt + 240)*(-0.5 - j√3/2)]
    = I[ cos(wt) + (j√3/2-0.5)*(-0.5*cos(wt) + √3/2*sin(wt) - 0.5*cos(wt) - √3/2*sin(wt))]
    =I[ 1.5*cos(wt) - j√3/2*cos(wt)] ....hmm I don't have a calculator on me atm, but if we just took the real part that'd be right?
    = 3/2 * I < wt

21. Sep 26, 2015 #20
    do you just take the real part?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook