Zero sequence braking of induction motor

In summary, zero sequence braking of induction motor involves connecting the stator phases in series and applying a single phase AC supply. This results in co-phasal currents, also known as zero sequence currents, which create a magnetic flux that produces a braking torque and stops the motor. Despite concerns about the cancellation of magnetic fields due to the co-phasal currents, the kinetic energy of the rotor is dissipated as I^2R losses in the squirrel cage due to the induced currents caused by the unequal proximity of the individual bars to the windings. This results in a net braking effect on the motor.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I recently read about zero sequence braking of induction motor.
In zero sequence braking of induction motor, the stator phases are connected in series and a single phase ac supply is connected across the series combination. Thus, the currents in all three phases are co-phasal, which are called zero sequence currents. The resultant magnetic flux linking with the rotor creates a braking torque and the motor stops.

But how can there be a magnetic field in the air gap if all three phase currents are co-phasal? Their intantaneous magnetic fields will be equal and 120 degrees apart in space. So if three equal phasors are 120 degrees apart in space, their resultant comes out to be zero.
Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Where will the kinetic energy of the rotor go when braking? Only one place I can think of; ##I^2R## losses in the squirrel cage.

So the individual bars in the squirrel cage at any moment in time will be closer to one winding than the others. So the three windings won't cancel locally. A current will be induced, causing ##I^2R## losses. It matters not if the currents in different places reverse themselves seemingly aimlessly. Any current in any direction for any duration causes ##I^2R##

Likes cnh1995

1. What is zero sequence braking of induction motor?

Zero sequence braking of induction motor refers to the process of stopping an induction motor by creating a zero sequence magnetic field in the stator winding. This magnetic field causes the rotor to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

2. How does zero sequence braking work?

In zero sequence braking, three-phase currents are passed through the stator windings in a specific sequence, creating a rotating magnetic field. This rotating field interacts with the rotor's magnetic field, causing the rotor to decelerate and come to a stop.

3. When is zero sequence braking used?

Zero sequence braking is commonly used in applications where it is necessary to bring an induction motor to a quick and controlled stop, such as in cranes, elevators, and conveyor systems.

4. What are the advantages of zero sequence braking?

Zero sequence braking offers several advantages, including quick and controlled stopping, reduced wear and tear on the motor, and improved safety by preventing the motor from coasting to a stop.

5. Are there any limitations to using zero sequence braking?

One limitation of zero sequence braking is that it can only be used on induction motors with a wound rotor. It also requires additional control equipment and can result in higher energy consumption compared to other braking methods.