Throwing a Softball: Examining Momentum and Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses a biomechanics unit where the assignment requires considerations of the momentum of a ball and its forward trajectory. One aspect focuses on explaining the throwing of a softball and the angle at which it is released. Gravity is identified as the main determining factor for the distance achieved by the throw. The conversation also addresses the conservation of momentum in the case of throwing a softball straight up, with air resistance and gravity acting on it. It is concluded that the net change in momentum of the ball and the Earth due to gravity is zero, with the Earth gaining an infinitesimal amount of momentum due to its extreme mass.
jhale18
I hav just begun a biomechanics unit in Year 9 Phys ed, and have received my assignment for the term. As part of the assignment we must consider the momentum of the ball and its forward trajectory. I didnt place this thread in homework, as there is no actual problem, just considerations. On aspect of biomechanics we must explain is throwing a softball, and the angle at which it is released. The main determining factor as to the distance which can be achieved by the throw, is gravity. My question is, if you threw the softball straight up, like 90 degrees to the horizontal, its momentum will be conserved moving the air around it with air resistance and all, but does the ball lose momentum to gravity? If so, how, as gravity does not move away from the ball, although the Earth does?

Physics news on Phys.org

jhale18 said:
My question is, if you threw the softball straight up, like 90 degrees to the horizontal, its momentum will be conserved moving the air around it with air resistance and all, but does the ball lose momentum to gravity? If so, how, as gravity does not move away from the ball, although the Earth does?
The momentum of the ball is not conserved since there are forces acting on it. Both air resistance and gravity.

I think you are saying that as the ball collides with the air, the total momentum of air and ball is conserved. Good! The same thing happens with gravity and the earth. The ball and the Earth exert equal and opposite gravitational forces on each other. So as the ball loses momentum, the Earth gains momentum. (Since the Earth is so vastly bigger than the ball, its tiny change in velocity is unmeasurably small.) The net change in momentum of ball and Earth due to gravity is zero.

Cool, I can understand that. So as the ball falls back towards the earth, the Earth can be seen to be gaining momentum, but due its extreme mass, acclerates at an infinitesimal rate. I hope I got that right. Thanks very much.

Exactly.

Cool, thanks.

Related to Throwing a Softball: Examining Momentum and Gravity

1. What is momentum and how does it affect a softball's flight?

Momentum is the measure of an object's mass and velocity combined. In the case of a softball, it refers to the mass and speed at which it is thrown. The greater the momentum, the further the softball will travel and the harder it will be to stop.

2. How does gravity impact the trajectory of a softball?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. In the case of a softball, gravity pulls it towards the ground. This force affects the trajectory of the softball by causing it to follow a parabolic path as it is thrown.

3. How does the mass of the softball affect its flight?

The mass of the softball directly affects its momentum and therefore, its flight. A heavier softball will have a greater mass and therefore a greater momentum, resulting in a longer flight. However, the mass of the softball also affects the force of gravity acting on it, which can also impact its flight path.

4. Are there any other factors besides momentum and gravity that affect a softball's flight?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect a softball's flight, such as air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the angle at which it is thrown. These factors can alter the trajectory and distance of the softball.

5. How can understanding momentum and gravity help improve a softball player's performance?

Understanding how momentum and gravity affect a softball's flight can help a player improve their performance by allowing them to make adjustments to their throwing technique. For example, a player could adjust the angle at which they release the ball or increase their throwing speed to maximize the momentum of the softball, resulting in a longer and more accurate throw.