Time Assumption for Newton Meter Projectile Velocity

• Thread starter Hypochondriac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: There are multiple ways to calculate the velocity. One way is to use the work-energy equation: W = mgh, where W is the projectile's weight, m is the mass of the projectile, g is the acceleration of gravity, and h is the height of the launch. Another way is to use the velocity of a projectile in a vacuum, which is equal to the speed of light multiplied by the mass of the projectile.
Hypochondriac
ok so perhaps not a calculation queery of sorts but a coursework question none the less.

in my investigation I'm using a Newton meter to fire projectiles and i need to know the initial velocity, to work it out i need the time it takes to travel up the runway as it were.
now I have the Newton meter infront of me and it isn't as simple as timing it because it is VERY fast.

so perhaps i should assume the time, (its relatively constant at different parts of the Newton meter because as you increase the distance it travels you also increase the average force on it)

so what should i assume it to be? 0.1s? 0.01s? although i can't tell the difference between 0.1s and 0.01s it changes my initial velocity value 10fold

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean you are using a spring and a Newton meter to fire projectiles? Perhaps a more descriptive account of your apparatus would be helpful.

Whatever you are doing, you should not estimate the time by any sort of visual cue or other human ability because we are really bad at that kind of thing.

sorry
the apparatus is a Newton meter which has a spring in it so when you put a weight on it the spring stretches to tell you the force being applied.
however i have a thing attatched to to the pointer which would tell you the force applied, this holds projectiles, i secure the Newton meter at an angle and pull it back 5N or so then let go, then the projectile is launched.

is there anthing that can measure it then?

I'm only familiar with the term "Newton meter" in the context of units. A Newton (N) is a unit of force, and a meter (m) is a unit of distance. Thus, the Nm is a unit of work, since work is force multiplied by the distance that an object is moved by the force.

As Mindscrape is asking, is the apparatus really a spring launcher? Why are you calling it a Newton meter? Is that just the whimsical name that was put on the spring launcher by some other student? If it is a spring launcher, and you know the spring constant k and the mass of your projectile, then you can calculate the projectile velocity in several different ways, and you can also calculate how long the spring is in contact with the mass as it is being launched.

its a Newton metER though not a Newton metRE, although spelling may be a UK thing.
yes a Newton metre Nm is an SI unit, but a Newton meter (or at least as far as I'm aware is a meter that measures force/weight, it is a spring basically yeah. and as force is applied by pulling the spring, a pointer points the the number of Newtons of force.

apologies for the language difference.

How can i calculate the k of the spring.
then what're these 'several different ways' to calculate the velocity.

I was going to get 2 light gates to measure the time an object took to go through the two.

any thoughts?

Last edited:
You can figure out the spring constant by measuring its length with a mass on the end, and its length when it is stretched by an additional masses. If Fsp = kx, then the sum of forces for the first part are kx_1 = m_1g, and the second part shows that kx_2 = (m_1+m_2)g, where x_1 and x_2 are amount stretched beyond the rest length. Then you can continue to add masses and record lengths to get the best calibration (average the spring constant, or a least a squares fit of gravitational force against displacement would be better if you know how).

FAQ: Time Assumption for Newton Meter Projectile Velocity

1. What is the definition of "Time Assumption" in relation to Newton Meter Projectile Velocity?

Time Assumption refers to the assumption made by scientists that the time taken for a projectile to travel a certain distance is constant. This assumption is essential in calculating the velocity of a projectile using Newton's law of motion.

2. How is "Time Assumption" used in calculating the velocity of a projectile?

Time Assumption is used in conjunction with the distance and acceleration of a projectile to calculate its velocity using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken to travel the distance.

3. Can the "Time Assumption" be applied to all types of projectiles?

Yes, the "Time Assumption" can be applied to all types of projectiles as long as the projectile is experiencing a constant acceleration. This assumption is a fundamental principle in Newton's law of motion and is valid for all types of projectiles.

4. Are there any limitations to the "Time Assumption" in calculating projectile velocity?

Yes, there are limitations to the "Time Assumption" in calculating projectile velocity. This assumption is based on the assumption of a constant acceleration, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Factors like air resistance and varying gravitational forces can affect the acceleration of a projectile, thus affecting the accuracy of the calculated velocity.

5. How can the accuracy of the "Time Assumption" be improved in calculating projectile velocity?

The accuracy of the "Time Assumption" can be improved by reducing the margin of error in measuring the time taken for the projectile to travel a certain distance. This can be achieved through the use of advanced technology and precise measurement techniques. Additionally, considering external factors such as air resistance and varying gravitational forces can also improve the accuracy of the calculated velocity.

Back