1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Time constant and capacitors

1. Jun 6, 2016 #1
    So the rate at which a capacitor charges and discharges is dependent on resistance in a circuit and the magnitude of capacitance of the capacitor? So the time constant is equal to RC. So using this equation where Q=Qoe-t/RC ,time constant is the time taken (when the capacitor is discharging) for charge on a capacitor (Q) to decrease to 37% of Qo ( i.e. charge on the capacitor when it is is fully charged). But I've been reading around and what I don't get is how the time constant is also equal to the time taken for the charge (Q) on a charging capacitor to increase by 63% of Qo . If this makes any sense, would be good if someone could maybe explain it mathematically aswell i.e. how 'e' is involved?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Have you studied calculus?

4. Jun 6, 2016 #3
    Um haven't studied it in much detail, but I could give it a go

5. Jun 6, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Well, KVL equation for an RC circuit is a differential equation. Solving that differential equation, you get exponential expressions for charge, current and voltage.

6. Jun 6, 2016 #5
    Ok so... how does this relate to the 63% of Qo?

7. Jun 6, 2016 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Or in other words, time taken to lose 63% of Q0.
    You can see that the time taken to gain a charge of 0.63Qo (while charging) is equal to the time taken to lose the same charge of 0.63Q0(while discharging). It's obvious, isn't it?

8. Jun 6, 2016 #7

cnh1995

Homework Helper

If you are asking where 63% comes from, it comes from the constant 'e-1' in the solution to the differential equation of the RC circuit.

9. Jun 6, 2016 #8
    the time constant is the time taken to get to within 37% of the final value.
    In decay the final value is 0%!
    In growth the final value is 100%

10. Jun 6, 2016 #9
    Ok that was pretty obvious now I look at it, thank you for explaining it otherwise I probably wouldn't have got there lol

11. Jun 6, 2016 #10
    Yep this makes sense, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted