Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dependence in quantum theory

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to elucidate certain concepts about time dependence and perturbation theory in quantum mechanics and QFT.
    I get the impression that most of the important results that in principle can be considered to have a time dependence can actually be calculated in terms of time-independent perturbation methods. I'm thinking for example about the case of scattering both in QM and QFT particle physics, where most of the important calculations like scattering cross-sections, decay rates, energies of bound states, etc can be made by matching the asymptotic states of the time-independent Hamiltonian in the context of the S-matrix.
    Or the use of the Dyson series in the context of the Feynman diagrams in QED perturbative renormalization.
    And Fermi's golden rule wich is a time-dependent perturbation derivation that can also be used in the context of time-independent problems.

It seems the strict time-dependent perturbation is only needed to obtain the quantum transition probabilities under a external perturbation.

Is the above impression correct, or is it wrong and if so can someone give examples of applications or physical problems where the time-dependent perturbation is used in the everyday practice either within the formal obtention of transition probabilities or beyond?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, it's correct. By definition, scattering theory is about transition probabilities between asymptotically free in and out states. Although the time-dependent approach with wave packets is the most intuitive and physically correct way to derive the definition of the corresponding S-matrix elements, you can also entirely work in terms of time-independent perturbation theory. See, e.g., S. Weinberg, The Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. 1, where this is very well explained in the context of relativistic QFT.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook