Time dependent problem with a delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses a time dependent problem described by a Hamiltonian of the type $$ \mathcal{H}(t) = H_0 + V \delta(t) .$$ The person is struggling to solve the Schrödinger equation with ##H_0 = p^2 / 2m## and is seeking recommendations for books on this topic. The expert recommends two books - "Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory" by L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths - both of which cover the Dirac delta potential in detail.
Paul159
Hello,

I try to solve a time dependent problem described by a Hamiltonian of the type $$ \mathcal{H}(t) = H_0 + V \delta(t) .$$

I started by trying to solve the Schrödinger equation with ##H_0 = p^2 / 2m##, but I'm getting a bit stuck.

I would like to know if you know of any books that deal with this kind of problem?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. The type of Hamiltonian you are dealing with is known as a Dirac delta potential, and it can be quite tricky to solve. One book that I would recommend for understanding this type of problem is "Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory" by L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz. Chapter 9 specifically deals with the Dirac delta potential and provides a detailed explanation and solution to the problem.

Another useful resource is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, which also covers the Dirac delta potential in Chapter 2. Both of these books are commonly used in undergraduate and graduate level quantum mechanics courses and should provide a solid foundation for understanding and solving your problem.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!