Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time derivative of an observable

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    According to my book:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \langle Q \rangle = \frac{i}{\hbar} \langle [\hat{H}, \hat{Q}] \rangle + \langle \frac{\partial \hat{Q}}{\partial t} \rangle [/tex].

No derivation for this is given. How can derive you this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

This is nothing else but the quantum mechanical translation (Poisson bracket of phase space function replaced by operator commutation relation) of the equation of motion in the Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3

kith

Science Advisor

You can use the product rule for the derivative of <Q(t)>=<ψ(t)|*Q(t)*|ψ(t)> and then apply Schrödinger's equation two times.

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4
  6. Jan 25, 2012 #5

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

oh, sorry, I missed the <.>; yes, it's Ehrenfest´s theorem, not the operator equation itself

7. Jan 25, 2012 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be fair, the equation for the time derivative of a Heisenberg operator looks pretty much exactly like that. lol.

8. Jan 25, 2012 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The full derivation has been given in 2009 by 2 German guys. You can find it by searching arxiv.org for the name <Ehrenfest>.

8. arXiv:1003.3372 [pdf, ps, other]
    Title: A sharp version of Ehrenfest's theorem for general self-adjoint operators

9. Jan 25, 2012 #8
    Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook