Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dialation and Biological systems

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    Can anyone prove that Time Dialation affects biological systems?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

How would you like it proven?

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Why wouldn't it apply to biology?

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4
    Beyond reasonable doubt

6. Jul 25, 2012 #5
    Biological systems work differently

7. Jul 25, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

To what and in what way?

8. Jul 25, 2012 #7

Dale

Biological systems function based on the EM force, EM time dilates, therefore biological systems time dilate. QED.

9. Jul 25, 2012 #8
    The beam of say a light clock is affected by acceleration and thus the measurement of time is affected but is time itself affected?? I think not IMHO

10. Jul 25, 2012 #9

Ryan_m_b

So you deny that relativity is true?

11. Jul 25, 2012 #10
    Perhaps as true as Quantum Mechanics is compatible with Relativity.

12. Jul 25, 2012 #11

Ryan_m_b

You're not making much sense. Could you articulate exactly why you think that biological systems would be exempt from the effects of time dilation?

13. Jul 25, 2012 #12
    I am no scientist. The beam of a light clock measuring time is affected by motion and the time measured slows down. How does biological time slow down when the principles of biology are totally different?

14. Jul 25, 2012 #13

Ryan_m_b

What principles are you talking about? What is "biological time"?

15. Jul 25, 2012 #14
    A biological system works presumably to its own time within certain parameters - say 60 beats of a human heart per minute for homo sapiens. How is biological metabolism affected by velocity since excessive velocity would result in blackouts and eventually death. Surely this makes time travel impossible?

I also fear that whilst the measurement of time devices are affected by velocity, time itself isnt.

16. Jul 25, 2012 #15

Dale

No, the principles are not totally different. In fact, they are exactly the same. Both are based entirely on EM. See post 7.

17. Jul 25, 2012 #16

Ryan_m_b

From the point of view of the traveller their heart still beats at ~1 beat per second. From the point of view of someone in a different frame of reference it may be beating at a far slower rate.

18. Jul 25, 2012 #17
    How does the EM force affect our bodily functions? I can see it changing the environment but with change of environment a bioligical system will live or die...... not slow down surely?

19. Jul 25, 2012 #18

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All you are telling us so far is that you refuse to accept the "Theory of Relativity". And, since there are few theories that have been confirmed by experimental evidence, that makes me suspect that you do not understand what the "Theory of Relativity" says. In particular, the theory says that if you observe a system moving at close to light speed, relative to you, you will observe that time has slowed in that system, relative to you. All processes, biological and non-biological, will have slowed down becasuse time itself has slowed down for that system. It is NOT a matter of "EM forces" causing processes to slow down- it is time itself that has slowed down.

20. Jul 25, 2012 #19

BruceW

Homework Helper

Your response is very natural. I think most people have the same reaction to relativity when they first learn about it. The fact is that every clock that has been tested, has acted in accordance with relativity. So with all the evidence we have so far, we can indeed say that time itself is affected.

Now if we did some experiment where we would expect to see time dilation in biological processes, and we did not see such time dilation, then relativity would be disproven. Relativity is just a theory, so we cannot rule out such a possibility. But it is highly unlikely, since relativity has had such success so far, and because its theoretical basis is so compellingly simple. (The most likely explanation is the most simple, remember).

21. Jul 25, 2012 #20
    Surely a biological system moving at nearly the speed of light relative to oneself wouldn't survive the slowing down process? Everything would have to operate at a virtual standstill! This is why I cant see how one can reconcile biology with time travel and relativity.

I will have to adjourn for a while, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook