Time Dialation and Biological systems

In summary, according to the theorist of relativity, time itself slows down in the presence of motion. This is why biological systems function differently than clocks that measure time.
ghwellsjr said:
So you think that it is generally understood that "your frame of reference" means "an observer that was moving"?
Point me to where I said this.
And you think that it is generally understood that "rest frame" means "an observer free-falling in empty space"?
I really don't know how else I could put this. I simply meant an observer who wasn't moving. I acknowledged that this was sloppy, because there is no such thing as being 'at rest' without specifying a FoR in special relativity. I fail to see how it has any relevance to the point.
In Special Relativity, all velocities are defined with respect to the frame we are speaking of. How can an observer be moving with less velocity than the frame?
What do you mean? If I'm moving 100 m/s in someone's FoR then they're moving with less velocity. This is trivial.
Nobody ever feels the effects of time dilation just like nobody feels the effects of velocity
Correct.
But, at the same time, nobody else observes time dilation in another observer. How could they? If it is an effect of a particular FoR and the effect can change for the exact same scenario with a different FoR, then how would you account for any observer being able to observe different time dilations in another observer, just because different FoRs were being used?
I really can't make sense out of this. If I observe some moving observer holding a clock that is ticking slower than normal, then I think I'd be justified in saying that time dilation is occurring.

Finally, I don't understand the point of your posts. Do you disagree that time dilation is an effect seen by observers? I simply stated that although another observer observers someone's clock ticking slower, that person measures their time normally.

Physics news on Phys.org
ghwellsjr said:
This is the classic Twin Paradox. After the spaceship returns to Earth, the crew will be much younger than the people who remained on Earth. Is that all you want to know?

How does a biological system survive life slowed to a virtual standstill in a spaceship traveling at the near speed of light?

indirachap said:
I'm afraid things things are getting too technical for me.

If a spaceship travels from Planet Earth to a Plant X and back at the near speed of light would the clock onboard the spaceship run considerably slower than the clock at the spaceship station on Earth? If the answer is yes would this not mean that the crew lived their lives onboard in actual slowmotion - indeed a virtual standstill?

The clock is slower in the ship. They had to undergo an acceleration to h their velocity, so they are the ones in motion. See the twin paradox.

They, according to the observers on earth, lived in slow motion. But they measure time in their FoR as ticking perfectly normally.

Mark M said:
The clock is slower in the ship. They had to undergo an acceleration to h their velocity, so they are the ones in motion. See the twin paradox.

They, according to the observers on earth, lived in slow motion. But they measure time in their FoR as ticking perfectly normally.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Surely if the clock on board runs slow, biological systems "must" run slow as well?

indirachap said:
Are you absolutely sure about this? Surely if the clock on board runs slow, biological systems "must" run slow as well?

Everything on the ship runs slower according to the observers on earth. In the ship, time is normal. It takes me the same time to brush my teeth in the morning, for a clock to tick, for anything. However, observers on Earth see everything aboard the ship moving in slow motion. It is all dependent on which frame of reference you are in.

Mark M said:
Everything on the ship runs slower according to the observers on earth. In the ship, time is normal. It takes me the same time to brush my teeth in the morning, for a clock to tick, for anything. However, observers on Earth see everything aboard the ship moving in slow motion. It is all dependent on which frame of reference you are in.

But in the ship time is not normal in its own frame of reference because the clock on the wall is showing that time is running slow.

indirachap said:
But in the ship time is not normal in its own frame of reference because the clock on the wall is showing that time is running slow.

No, it only appears slow to the observers on earth. This is a key concept in special relativity - different observers disagree on the passage of time. The clock appears slow because the ship, in Earth's frame of reference, is moving. In our frame of reference on the ship, everything in the ship is normal.

Mark M said:
No, it only appears slow to the observers on earth. This is a key concept in special relativity - different observers disagree on the passage of time. The clock appears slow because the ship, in Earth's frame of reference, is moving. In our frame of reference on the ship, everything in the ship is normal.

How can everything in the ship traveling at the near speed of light appear normal to those onboard when everything is at a virtual standstill ?

indirachap said:
How can everything in the ship traveling at the near speed of light appear normal to those onboard when everything is at a virtual standstill ?
Remember, all of the biological functioning is at a virtual standstill. Their wall clocks are slowed down and so are their heartbeats, their nerve impulses, their muscle contractions, etc. everything slowed by the same amount. How would they notice anything?

Right now there exists a reference frame where YOU are traveling at .999999 c and are slowed down by an enormous amount. Do YOU notice that time seems slow right now?

Btw, did you understand my post 21?

indirachap said:

It is only in a virtual stand still according to the observers on earth. Not to the observers on the ship.

Are you aware why time dilation occurs in the first place? It occurs to ensure that different observers agree on the speed of light in a vacuum. Hence, different observers must disagree on the passage of time and the length of objects. The key word there is 'disagree'. Time in your own frame of reference is always normal, you see other observer's time adjusting.

I have to ask, how much have you studied special relativity?

indirachap said:
Everything on the ship is not at a virtual standstill. It is proceeding at its normal rate, including clocks' tick rates, and human heart rates. But, to people back on earth, and for observers at rest with respect to the earth, the clocks and biological processes on the ship seem to be running slow. There is no test that the people in the Earth's frame of reference can perform to convince them that the processes taking place on the spaceship are running anything but slow.

Chet

Thank you both for your input - its much appreciated. Its just I have received conflicting info from different scientists such as: When traveling at the near speed of light every would come to a virtual standstill. Cheers until later.

indirachap said:
Thank you both for your input - its much appreciated. Its just I have received conflicting info from different scientists such as: When traveling at the near speed of light every would come to a virtual standstill. Cheers until later.

If this scientist you speak of knows what he is talking about, he did NOT say everything WOULD come to a virtual standstill, he said it would APPEAR (to someone in a different frame of reference) to be at a virtual standstill.

There is no conflict here, it just that you are trying to understand something that requires knowledge of relativity and apparently you have no understanding of relativity.

I will try the explanation for you one more time, and I guarantee you no one with an understanding of relativity will contradict this:

When someone is traveling close to the speed of light, everything seems perfectly normal to them. Their hearts beat at the normal speed. In their frame of reference they are not moving at all (I'm not talking now about periods of acceleration).

Someone in a different frame of reference, the one from which it appears that they are traveling close to the speed of light will see them doing everything in slow motion.

EDIT: Google the "Twin Paradox"

I have read various articles on relativity and and am happy with the idea of FORs. However I feel somewhat under pressure from the science community to just accept the idea without question - especially counterintuitive issues. This evokes suspicion in the layman who then looks for chinks in the armour of theoretical science and then what does he find out? He finds out that science, for quite sometime now, has not been able to reconcile the theory of the everyday world with the theory of the very small in a theory of everything which subsequently begs the question wether certain parts of scientific theory has not been fudged over so as to speak in order to make other parts of theory work.

Nothing has been fudged over. That is the great thing about science. For example, we had non-relativistic mechanics for ages, and it was very useful to make lots of predictions. But eventually relativity came along, and we realized that non-relativistic physics was not theoretically 'correct', but of course it was approximately correct in the limit of low speeds, and low gravity. So from this example, I'm trying to make the point that even though relativity is not a 'theory of everything' (whatever that might be), relativity is still a useful theory.

About accepting relativity - It is a very good idea to question the physics. For example, the twin paradox. It was only when I really had a good think about the twin paradox that I started to get more familiar with the idea of world lines and the spacetime interval. So it is by questioning the theory that you can start to learn it. And this is by a positive kind of questioning. You must actively try to find the answer. This will mean that you start learning the maths and physics of relativity, and this leads to understanding relativity. I guess I'm saying don't be too hasty to dismiss it.

indirachap said:
I have read various articles on relativity and and am happy with the idea of FORs. However I feel somewhat under pressure from the science community to just accept the idea without question - especially counterintuitive issues.
No idea where you are getting that feeling from, certainly not here. I can't find any examples of someone admonishing you for questioning and plenty of people trying to help you to understand. To suggest otherwise is to be a severe distortion of the facts and would be quite insulting.
indirachap said:
This evokes suspicion in the layman who then looks for chinks in the armour of theoretical science and then what does he find out? He finds out that science, for quite sometime now, has not been able to reconcile the theory of the everyday world with the theory of the very small in a theory of everything which subsequently begs the question wether certain parts of scientific theory has not been fudged over so as to speak in order to make other parts of theory work.
Yes science is incomplete, if it wasn't we would have stopped. This is not a hidden fact but a foundation of modern scientific enquiry. You're framing this as though there is a conspiracy amongst scientists to cover up the fact that we don't know everything, I'm sorry but like most conspiracy theories it's all in your head.
indirachap said:
Only from the perspective of someone in another frame of reference. Put it this way:
Alice and Bob are sitting in spaceships at rest relative to each other. Alice fires up her engines and blasts away, measuring her speed relative to Bob to be .9c. Bob looking through his spaceship's telescope will see everything on Alice's ship happening slowly; the clock will tick slower than his, her breathing will be slower, heart rate etc. However for Alice nothing has changed. Time seems to pass exactly as it did when she was at rest.

Ryan_m_b said:
No idea where you are getting that feeling from, certainly not here. I can't find any examples of someone admonishing you for questioning and plenty of people trying to help you to understand. To suggest otherwise is to be a severe distortion of the facts and would be quite insulting.

No insult intended. By pressure I mean not pressure from scientists on this board but pressure from science in general on the layman to conform to conventional scientific thought.
Only from the perspective of someone in another frame of reference. Put it this way:
Alice and Bob are sitting in spaceships at rest relative to each other. Alice fires up her engines and blasts away, measuring her speed relative to Bob to be .9c. Bob looking through his spaceship's telescope will see everything on Alice's ship happening slowly; the clock will tick slower than his, her breathing will be slower, heart rate etc. However for Alice nothing has changed. Time seems to pass exactly as it did when she was at rest.

"However for Alice nothing has changed". Is this phrase not pure supposition? Surely for Alice everything has changed. Bob can see that Alice is virtually frozen in time by traveling at the near speed of light. Supposing that biological systems are affected by time dialation, Alice by being virtually dead would not percieve anything like normality and would not even if she were functioning normally

The question is (a) what is the actual physical state of Alice's biological system when Bob saw her through his telescope and (b) does this violate some basic a priori principles of life as we know it. If the answer is yes, then surely science is irrational?

indirachap said:
No insult intended. By pressure I mean not pressure from scientists on this board but pressure from science in general on the layman to conform to conventional scientific thought.
I'm not going to dispute that you feel that way and I can't really comment on it more without knowing more about your background.
indirachap said:
"However for Alice nothing has changed". Is this phrase not pure supposition? Surely for Alice everything has changed. Bob can see that Alice is virtually frozen in time by traveling at the near speed of light. Supposing that biological systems are affected by time dialation, Alice by being virtually dead would not percieve anything like normality and would not even if she were functioning normally
From Alice's point of view nothing has changed. Even from Bob's perspective she is not virtually dead, he could record his observations of her and play them at a faster speed and she would seem to behave exactly as she was when they were stationary.
indirachap said:
The question is (a) what is the actual physical state of Alice's biological system when Bob saw her through his telescope and (b) does this violate some basic a priori principles of life as we know it. If the answer is yes, then surely science is irrational?
Alice's biology is behaving in exactly the same manner as it was before she accelerated away, just slower from Bob's perspective. There is nothing inconsistent here.

indirachap said:

YOU ARE NOT LISTENING !

As stated previously by me and others, Alice experiences NOTHING untoward. Everything is perfectly normal to her. Time dilation is an artifact of frames of reference. It is NOT experienced by the Alice, it is observed by Bob. It is an artifact of relativity. Get over it and move on.

EDIT: I see Ryan beat me to it (and with less vehemence :smile:)

Last edited:
indirachap said:
I feel somewhat under pressure from the science community to just accept the idea without question
This is an absurd comment. We are not asking you to accept the idea without question. We are asking you to accept the boatloads of experimental evidence that supports the idea:

http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

It isn't science applying pressure on you to change your way of thinking, it is nature. Yes, our classical/intuitive worldview is hard to relinquish, but it has been experimentally disproven. Nature simply doesn't work in the way you want it to.

indirachap said:
You are currently traveling at .9999999 c in some reference frame. Do you notice anything abnormal? Are you virtually dead?

indirachap said:
(a) Alice is "actually" slowed down IN BOB'S FRAME. (b) no it doesn't violate any principles of biology. I already explained to you in great detail why not, but it seems that you either did not understand the answer or you understand it but don't want to acknowledge it.

indirachap said:
If a spaceship travels from Planet Earth to a Plant X and back at the near speed of light would the clock onboard the spaceship run considerably slower than the clock at the spaceship station on Earth? If the answer is yes would this not mean that the crew lived their lives onboard in actual slowmotion - indeed a virtual standstill?
indirachap said:
I have read various articles on relativity and am happy with the idea of FORs.
indirachap said:

Let's say Bob stays on Earth and Alice travels at high speed toward Planet X where Carl lives. In the FoR where Earth and Planet X are both at rest, Alice will be experiencing time dilation. When Bob looks at Alice through his telescope, he sees her in slow motion. However, when Carl sees Alice take off through his telescope and start her journey toward him, he sees her in fast motion. Furthermore, when Alice looks back at Bob on Earth, she sees him in slow motion and as she looks ahead at Carl on Planet X, she sees him in fast motion. All these different observations from different points of view are not what we call time dilation. You have to make a distinction between what is observed by different observers and what is assigned by the specified Frame of Reference.

Now let's consider a different FoR, one in which Alice is at rest while she is "traveling" toward Planet X. Now Alice is experiencing no time dilation but both Bob on Earth and Carl on Planet X are experiencing time dilation. They are the ones that are traveling at near light speed and are "virtually frozen in time", as you like to say.

But again, as Alice looks back at Bob on Earth, she sees him in slow motion and as she looks ahead at Carl on Planet X, she sees him in fast motion, just as before. And when Bob looks at Alice, he sees her in slow motion and Carl sees her in fast motion. The selected FoR has no bearing on what observers see.

So if you are really happy with the idea of Frames of Reference, then you should have no problem understanding that time dilation is relative to the selected FoR and has nothing to do with what observers see.

Do you understand all this? Do you have any questions?

Last edited:
Thank you ghwellsjr and everybody else for their kind replies.

[Do you understand all this? Do you have any questions?]

I am unhappy about the idea that Alice would have aged less than Bob on her return to Earth. Does this not violate some basic a priori principles of biology?

indirachap said:
Does this not violate some basic a priori principles of biology?
No, it does not.

indirachap said:
I am unhappy about the idea that Alice would have aged less than Bob on her return to Earth. Does this not violate some basic a priori principles of biology?

No. Alice is away for five years, she ages fives years, celebrates five birthdays (assuming that she celebrates a birthday every 365*24*3600 seconds according to her wristwatch), her wristwatch records the passage of five years, if she brings a sample of radioactive material with a five-year half-life with her it will be decay by 50% during the journey. No paradox or contradiction there, she's just lived through five years and aged accordingly just as any other chemical, biological, physical, or mechanical system would age over five years.

Bob stays at home for ten years, ages ten years, celebrates ten birthdays, his wristwatch records the passage of ten years, his sample of the radioactive material will be 75% decayed because that's two half-lives. There's no paradox or contradiction there, he's just lived through ten years and aged accordingly just as any other chemical, biological, physical, or mechanical system would age over ten years.

It's just a bit surprising when they meet each other.

indirachap said:
What is an "a priori principle of biology"?

indirachap said:
Which principles of biology? All principles of biology have to be consistent with the more fundamental principles of physics.

indirachap said:
Thank you ghwellsjr and everybody else for their kind replies.

[Do you understand all this? Do you have any questions?]

It seems as though you have no problem with the purely physical devices such as clocks ticking at different rates and that Alice's wristwatch would run slower while she is on the trip so that it accumulates less time, say, five years vs ten years, to use Nugatory's example, during the course of the trip, but you are concerned that our biological clock's would not be subject to the same effects of time dilation, is that correct?

indirachap said:
Can anyone prove that Time Dialation affects biological systems?

Time is purely a measure of a change of entropy. The pointers of a clock indicate, that from one moment to the next the entropy of the spring has changed. A biological system is in no way different. The beating of the heart and the lines around the eyes are measuring the change of entropy and give an arrow or direction to time. But here is a thought: The pointers of the clock, from its relative frame of rest, are communicating to the rest of the Universe, its state of entropy at the speed of light. Indeed the clock would continue to do so in darkness and without pointers. Biological systems also communicate their entropy state at the speed of light. Thus C is the speed of information communication, whether electro-magnetic in type, or some other form related to the exchange of entropy information with the rest of the Universe. It should not surprise us, therefore, that movement at high relativistic velocities will affect the way we perceive the changes of time and entropy of bodies in other frames of reference. The same applies if we are at rest and observing the half life of a very unstable particle moving close to C.

A.T. said:
Which principles of biology? All principles of biology have to be consistent with the more fundamental principles of physics.

Do they? Do all the principles of biology have to be consistent with the more fundamental principles of Quantum Mechanics?

indirachap said:
Do they? Do all the principles of biology have to be consistent with the more fundamental principles of Quantum Mechanics?
Of course they do, why wouldn't they? Just because quantum effects don't manifest on the macroscale why would you think that the moment an atom or sub-atomic particle becomes part of a biological system it suddenly becomes different?

Ryan_m_b said:
What is an "a priori principle of biology"?

I should imagine an a priori principle of biology would be the requirement that Planet Earth conditions (be they artificial or natural) be maintained throughout the lifetime of a biological system.

This would be particularly applicable when dealing with the passage of time.

indirachap said:
I should imagine an a priori principle of biology would be the requirement that Planet Earth conditions (be they artificial or natural) be maintained throughout the lifetime of a biological system.

This would be particularly applicable when dealing with the passage of time.
Two important things:

1) Look up the term a priori, it does not mean what you seem to think it does.

2) As has been repeatedly pointed out for the traveller and their biology the passage of time stays the same.

Ryan_m_b said:
Two important things:

1) Look up the term a priori, it does not mean what you seem to think it does.

2) As has been repeatedly pointed out for the traveller and their biology the passage of time stays the same.

1) I am quite happy with the term denoting "without research" or indeed "obvious"

2) Surely nowhere on Earth would a traveller return from a journey having aged less than the twin he left behind? Does this not violate the example of a principle of biology that I gave?

I must adjourn

indirachap said:
Yes, definitely. Furthermore, as I explained previously, all principles of biology are governed essentially exclusively by EM, so biology must specifically be consistent with Quantum Electrodynamics.