Time Dilation in a Galaxy: Calculating Mass Effects

In summary: Actually the question is not really about the galaxies. But more about the time dilation in general. As another example we can take a planet.To calculate the time dilation near the surface of the Earth we can use the equation:For any radius "outside" the planet: M = total mass of the Earth.
sha1000
TL;DR Summary
Time dilation as a function of distance from the center of galaxy.
Hello everyone

- The gravitational force near the edge of the galaxy at point A (see attached image) can be calculated by assuming that all the galactic mass is located in the center of the galaxy.
- In order to calculate the gravitational force in the middle of the galaxy (point B) we take into account only the inner volume mass and we can neglect all the mass in outer volume.

time dilation galaxy.png

Can we apply the same logic for the gravitational time dilation?
What is the mass which I must use for the calculation of the time dilation at the point B? Do I need to take into account only the inner mass?

Thank you in advance.

Likes marcosdb
Physics news on Phys.org
sha1000 said:
Summary:: Time dilation as a function of distance from the center of galaxy.

The gravitational force near the edge of the galaxy at point A (see attached image) can be calculated by assuming that all the galactic mass is located in the center of the galaxy.
Are you thinking of galaxies that are roughly spherical? I don’t think this is true for disk shaped galaxies.

Dale said:
Are you thinking of galaxies that are roughly spherical? I don’t think this is true for disk shaped galaxies.
Thanks for the response.

Actually the question is not really about the galaxies. But more about the time dilation in general. As another example we can take a planet.

To calculate the time dilation near the surface of the Earth we can use the equation:
equation.png

For any radius "outside" the planet: M = total mass of the Earth.

But what mass must be considered to calculate the time dilation in the "middle of the Earth" or "near the center"?
Is it only the inner volume mass, like in the case of the gravitational force?

P.S. Let us consider that the density of the Earth is constant.

sha1000 said:
Thanks for the response.

Actually the question is not really about the galaxies. But more about the time dilation in general. As another example we can take a planet.

To calculate the time dilation near the surface of the Earth we can use the equation:
View attachment 289027

For any radius "outside" the planet: M = total mass of the Earth.

But what mass must be considered to calculate the time dilation in the "middle of the Earth" or "near the center"?
Is it only the inner volume mass, like in the case of the gravitational force?
That's the same question that was asked in the link I gave. The reference there is to Wald, section 6.2 for the "interior" metric. It gets complicated, even for a perfect fluid.

Likes sha1000
PeroK said:
That's the same question that was asked in the link I gave. The reference there is to Wald, section 6.2 for the "interior" metric. It gets complicated, even for a perfect fluid.
If I understand correctly the complication arises from the compressibility issues etc.

But my question is about oversimplified cases.

For example, inside a sphere: one need to take into account only the inner volume mass for the calculation of the gravitational force.
So is it same for the time dilation? (Without considering mass distribution, pressure, compressibility etc).

sha1000 said:
If I understand correctly the complication arises from the compressibility issues etc.

But my question is about oversimplified cases.

For example, inside a sphere: one need to take into account only the inner volume mass for the calculation of the gravitational force.
So is it same for the time dilation? (Without considering mass distribution, pressure, compressibility etc).
The simple answer is no, it's not the same for gravitational time dilation.

The result you quote is the shell theorem for Newtonian gravity. And, where the Newtonian solution is a close approximation of the GR solution, it's logical that the shell theorem applies in GR as well.

Gravitational time dilation, however, is fairly negligible for these cases where the Newtonian approximation applies. The redshift from the surface of the Sun is very small and gravitational time dilation across the galaxy must be almost negligible. Moreover, the galaxy is not a sphere in the first place, so any calculation that is not simply a gross approximation is going to be difficult. The calculations you propose will be in that category of gross approximations.

If you want to go beyond this, then (as evidenced by the reference to Wald's GR book) an analytic solution for the metric inside a region of mass (whether that is the interior of a planet, star or galaxy) gets very complicated even for the simplest case of a perfect fluid.

sha1000 said:
Yes, but the only reason we can use that equation is because the Earth is roughly spherical and doesn't rotate much. That equation wouldn't hold for a disk galaxy.

1. What is time dilation in a galaxy?

Time dilation in a galaxy refers to the phenomenon where time appears to pass at a different rate for objects in different gravitational fields. This is due to the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

2. How is time dilation calculated in a galaxy?

The calculation of time dilation in a galaxy involves using the equation Δt' = Δt√(1 - (2GM/rc^2)), where Δt' is the time experienced by an object in a stronger gravitational field, Δt is the time experienced by an object in a weaker gravitational field, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the galaxy, r is the distance from the center of the galaxy, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the relationship between mass and time dilation in a galaxy?

The relationship between mass and time dilation in a galaxy is that the greater the mass of the galaxy, the stronger the gravitational field and therefore the more significant the time dilation effect. This means that objects closer to the center of the galaxy will experience a greater time dilation compared to objects further away.

4. Can time dilation in a galaxy be observed?

Yes, time dilation in a galaxy can be observed through various methods such as measuring the time difference between two clocks placed at different distances from the center of the galaxy or through the observation of changes in the frequency of light emitted from objects in different gravitational fields.

5. How does time dilation in a galaxy affect space travel?

Time dilation in a galaxy can have a significant impact on space travel as it means that time will pass at a different rate for astronauts in different parts of the galaxy. This can result in astronauts experiencing different rates of aging, making it important for space missions to take into account the effects of time dilation when planning travel routes and schedules.