1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Evolution for particle with potential suddenly removed

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a problem from my Statistical Mechanics book by Pathria.

At ##t=0##, the ground state wavefunction of a one-dimensional quantum harmonic oscillator with potential ##V(x)=\frac{1}{2}\omega_0^2 x^2## is given by,

[tex]\psi(x,0)=\frac{1}{\pi^{1/4} \sqrt{a}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}[/tex]

where ##a=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m \omega_0}}##. At ##t=0##, the harmonic potential is abruptly removed. Use the momentum representation of the wavefunction at ##t=0## and the time-dependent Schrodinger equation to determine the spatial wavefunction and density at time ##t>0##.
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi=\hat{H} \psi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So first I took the Fourier transform of the wave function given at ##t=0## to get,

[tex]\Phi(k,0)=-\frac{\sqrt{a}}{\pi^{1/4}}e^{\frac{1}{2}i a ^2 k^2}[/tex]

So now that at ##t>0## the potential is removed, the new Hamiltonian is that of a free particle. I want to see how the original wave function evolves with time with this new potential. So I will multiply it by the time evolution operator.

[tex]\Phi(k,t)=\Phi(k,0)e^{-i \frac{\hat{H}t}{\hbar}}=\Phi(k,0)e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}[/tex]

Generally, we can write this as,

[tex]|\psi(t)>=e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}|\psi_0>[/tex]

The whole goal is to find the spatial wave function so lets project it onto ##x##.

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=<x|e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}|\psi_0>[/tex]

What is given in the beginning of the problem is ##<x|\psi_0>## so I do the following.

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=\int <x|e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}|x'><x'|\psi_0>dx'[/tex]

Now, the Hamiltonian in the exponential purely depends on the momentum operator, so it would be easiest to deal with momentum eigenkets. So I will insert two more identities in there.

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=\int <x|p'><p'|e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}|p><p|x'><x'|\psi_0>dx'dpdp'[/tex]

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=\int <x|p'>e^{-i \frac{p^2 t}{2m\hbar}}\delta(p'-p)<p|x'><x'|\psi_0>dx'dpdp'[/tex]

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=\int <x|p>e^{-i \frac{p^2 t}{2m\hbar}}<p|x'><x'|\psi_0>dx'dp[/tex]

My problem is, I do not know what ##<x|p>## and ##<p|x'>## are. I remember back when I took quantum mechanics dealing with these types of terms but for the life of me I cannot remember what their value is or why! If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

EDIT:
    A ha! I just realized that these terms are simply the plane wave solution to the free particle! I will go though it now to make sure I have no other issues.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2015 #2
    Hi. I think you're taking a detour here...
    You obtained the full wave function in momentum space:
    Φ(k,t ) = Φ(k,0)⋅exp(–ik2t/2m)
    (remember in momentum space p-hat is just p, not a differential operator)
    So to get the spatial wave function, just take the inverse Fourier transform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted