Time Evolution for particle with potential suddenly removed

That will give you ψ(x,t). Then you can get the probability density from |ψ(x,t)|^2In summary, the problem involves a one-dimensional quantum harmonic oscillator with an initial ground state wavefunction. At time t=0, the harmonic potential is abruptly removed and the momentum representation of the wavefunction is used to determine the spatial wavefunction and density at time t>0. By taking the Fourier transform of the initial wavefunction, the momentum representation is obtained, and by applying the time evolution operator, the new Hamiltonian is found to be that of a free particle. The inverse Fourier transform is then taken to obtain the spatial wavefunction, and the probability density is obtained from the magnitude of the wavefunction.
Xyius

Homework Statement

This is a problem from my Statistical Mechanics book by Pathria.
[/B]
At ##t=0##, the ground state wavefunction of a one-dimensional quantum harmonic oscillator with potential ##V(x)=\frac{1}{2}\omega_0^2 x^2## is given by,

[tex]\psi(x,0)=\frac{1}{\pi^{1/4} \sqrt{a}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}[/tex]

where ##a=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m \omega_0}}##. At ##t=0##, the harmonic potential is abruptly removed. Use the momentum representation of the wavefunction at ##t=0## and the time-dependent Schrodinger equation to determine the spatial wavefunction and density at time ##t>0##.

Homework Equations

[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi=\hat{H} \psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I took the Fourier transform of the wave function given at ##t=0## to get,

[tex]\Phi(k,0)=-\frac{\sqrt{a}}{\pi^{1/4}}e^{\frac{1}{2}i a ^2 k^2}[/tex]

So now that at ##t>0## the potential is removed, the new Hamiltonian is that of a free particle. I want to see how the original wave function evolves with time with this new potential. So I will multiply it by the time evolution operator.

[tex]\Phi(k,t)=\Phi(k,0)e^{-i \frac{\hat{H}t}{\hbar}}=\Phi(k,0)e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}[/tex]

Generally, we can write this as,

[tex]|\psi(t)>=e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}|\psi_0>[/tex]

The whole goal is to find the spatial wave function so let's project it onto ##x##.

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=<x|e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}|\psi_0>[/tex]

What is given in the beginning of the problem is ##<x|\psi_0>## so I do the following.

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=\int <x|e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}|x'><x'|\psi_0>dx'[/tex]

Now, the Hamiltonian in the exponential purely depends on the momentum operator, so it would be easiest to deal with momentum eigenkets. So I will insert two more identities in there.

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=\int <x|p'><p'|e^{-i \frac{\hat{p}^2 t}{2m\hbar}}|p><p|x'><x'|\psi_0>dx'dpdp'[/tex]

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=\int <x|p'>e^{-i \frac{p^2 t}{2m\hbar}}\delta(p'-p)<p|x'><x'|\psi_0>dx'dpdp'[/tex]

[tex]<x|\psi(t)>=\int <x|p>e^{-i \frac{p^2 t}{2m\hbar}}<p|x'><x'|\psi_0>dx'dp[/tex]

My problem is, I do not know what ##<x|p>## and ##<p|x'>## are. I remember back when I took quantum mechanics dealing with these types of terms but for the life of me I cannot remember what their value is or why! If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

EDIT:
A ha! I just realized that these terms are simply the plane wave solution to the free particle! I will go though it now to make sure I have no other issues.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. I think you're taking a detour here...
You obtained the full wave function in momentum space:
Φ(k,t ) = Φ(k,0)⋅exp(–ik2t/2m)
(remember in momentum space p-hat is just p, not a differential operator)
So to get the spatial wave function, just take the inverse Fourier transform.

1. What is "Time Evolution for particle with potential suddenly removed"?

"Time Evolution for particle with potential suddenly removed" refers to the mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a particle that has its potential energy suddenly removed. This model is often used in quantum mechanics to study the dynamics of particles in different energy states.

2. How does the potential energy affect the particle's behavior?

The potential energy affects the particle's behavior by determining its energy states and the probability of finding it in a certain location. When the potential energy suddenly changes or is removed, the particle's energy states and behavior will also change accordingly.

3. What are the main equations used in "Time Evolution for particle with potential suddenly removed"?

The main equations used in this model are the Schrodinger equation and the time-dependent wave function. These equations describe the evolution of the particle's wave function in time, taking into account the sudden change in potential energy.

4. What are the applications of "Time Evolution for particle with potential suddenly removed"?

This model has various applications in quantum mechanics, such as in studying the behavior of atoms and molecules, the dynamics of particles in a magnetic field, and the behavior of particles in different energy states. It is also used in engineering and technology, particularly in the development of quantum computing algorithms.

5. Are there any experimental validations of "Time Evolution for particle with potential suddenly removed"?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments that have validated the predictions of this model. For example, studies on the behavior of electrons in a potential well have confirmed the time evolution of the wave function predicted by this model. Additionally, experimental observations of quantum tunneling and quantum superposition also support the validity of this model.