1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time for ball to stop bouncing

1. Jan 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello!
    A ball is dropped and falls to the floor (no horizontal velocity). It hits the floor and bounces with inelastic collisions. The velocity after each bounce is [itex] \mu [/itex] times the velocity of the previous bounce (here [itex]\mu [/itex] is the constant of restitution). The velocity of the first bounce is just [itex] v_0[/itex]. Find the time it takes for the ball to stop bouncing.

2. Relevant equations
    Newtons Laws

3. The attempt at a solution

Well:
    I know this will turn into a convergent geometric series. Im just trying to find what that series will look like.

using the formula [itex]h=x_0+v_0t+1/2at^2 [/itex] its easy to see that the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground is:

[itex] h=1/2gt^2[/itex] so [itex] t=\sqrt{2h/g}[/itex].
    Using energy I also have: [itex] mgh=1/2mv_0^2[/itex] so [itex]gh=1/2v_0^2 [/itex]

Time for the next bounce: well, the ball now has an upward velocity of [itex] \mu v_0[/itex] and the height of the first bounce is [itex] h'=\mu v_0t-1/2gt^2[/itex].

I realize this is a simple problem but for some reason i'm not seeing it. If I solve this equation for time, (using quadratic formula) the resulting series for the times [itex]t=t_1+t_2+... [/itex] isn't geometric and actually quite complicated. Is my approach right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    You don't want the height of the next bounce, but the time for the ball to reach the ground again. Easier to solve, too!

4. Jan 25, 2016 #3
    I solved the quadratic for the time. Is this not the right approach?

5. Jan 25, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Should lead to the same answer - with a lot more work.
    What did you use for ##h'## ?

6. Jan 25, 2016 #5
    Ahh, I see what you mean. So after the first bounce, I have:

Time for ball to reach ground again: [itex]0= \mu v_0 -1/2gt^2 [/itex] solvig for t yields: [itex] 2 \mu v_0/g[/itex] so

[itex]t_1 =2 \mu v_0/g[/itex]

Time for ball the reach the ground the third time:

[itex]t_2= 2 (\mu)^2 v_0/g[/itex]
    and so on. Is this the right direction?

7. Jan 25, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And there you have your geometric sequence !
    Make sure you have the right summation: the first t is only 'half a bounce'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted