Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time invarient pdf but nonstationary process

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    I am wondering if there exist some solution to the general stochastic differential equation (SDE) such that I get a time independent pdf(x) while the stochastic process Xt is nonstationary.. I really need some help with that..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you mean by a general stochastic diff. eq. However, it is possible to have a stochastic process with a constant distribution function, but where the correlation function is dependent on both values of the independent (time) variable, and not just the difference - therefore not stationary.

4. Feb 1, 2007 #3
    OK, forget about the SDE .. can u give me example of a stochastic process such that the pdf (dosen't depend on time == > dp/dt=0) but the correlation has a time variable (nonstationary)? this will helpso much..

5. Feb 1, 2007 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gaussian process (mean=0, s.d=1) with a correl. dep. on both variables. For example f(s,t)=1/(1+|s2-t2|).

6. Feb 1, 2007 #5
    what's f(s,t)..
    can u please tell me how to compute this correlation? if the pdf has not time in it, how come time appears in the correlation function?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?