cdux
- 187
- 0
If airplanes' highest speed depends directly on the air it is moving through and not the ground, does it mean we can build a time machine if only the air moves near the speed of light?
cdux said:If airplanes' highest speed depends directly on the air it is moving through and not the ground, does it mean we can build a time machine if only the air moves near the speed of light?
I had the impression time dilation is consensus accepted.HallsofIvy said:Sorry but I can't make heads or tails of this! First there is no clear evidence that "moving near the speed of light" will help you build a time machine!
Time dilation is well established, but it only goes in one direction.cdux said:I had the impression time dilation is consensus accepted.
cdux said:I had the impression time dilation is consensus accepted.
I thought it was accepted that any object moving faster than another is effectively in a time machine going into the future in relation to the slower object. It's also seen experimentally and on GPS satellites.Nugatory said:Both consensus-accepted and well and thoroughly experimentally verified. But that has absolutely nothing to do with building a time machine - at least what most people are thinking of when they say "time machine".
cdux said:I thought it was accepted that any object moving faster than another is effectively in a time machine going into the future in relation to the slower object. It's also seen experimentally and on GPS satellites.
Yes.sophiecentaur said:By your argument, everything is a time machine because SR always applies to moving objects.
cdux said:Yes.
cdux said:I thought it was accepted that any object moving faster than another is effectively in a time machine going into the future in relation to the slower object. It's also seen experimentally and on GPS satellites.
Why do you say that?Nugatory said:You may have the sense of the dilation backwards as well?