In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the time period and identifying an error in a solution related to potential energy and a mass-spring oscillator. The error may be due to not taking into account the potential energy of the spring at its resting position. The relevant equations for this problem may include Hooke's law and the relationship between angular frequency and period.
LoveBoy

Homework Statement

3072650.png

Homework Equations

Find Time Period.
Find the error in my solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

59d3a83.png

Where i am wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I strongly suspect that the phrase, "The potential energy of a harmonic oscillation if mass 2 kg in its resting position is 5 joules", is meant to convey that the at the equilibrium position the spring (or spring-like component of the oscillator) has a displacement from its relaxed position resulting in 5 joules of potential energy stored in the spring.

Think of a vertically arranged mass-spring oscillator. When the system is at rest with the mass hanging at the equilibrium position the spring will be stretched from its relaxed state. So during oscillations there will be some PE in the spring even as the mass passes through the equilibrium point.

LoveBoy said:

Homework Equations

Find Time Period.
Find the error in my solution.
By the way, the Relevant equations portion of the template is not for more problem statement or questions. It's meant for you to list equations that you believe are pertinent to the type of problem being solved. For this problem you might list Hooke's law, your energy equation, the relationship between angular frequency and period, and so forth.

LoveBoy said:
Where i am wrong ?
i think you have to include the resting position of potential energy -5 J
from rest position if it gets disturbed it oscillates. so your measurement of energy may include the rest energy.
in oscillations only extra energy from this rest is being utilised- so total energy = resting energy + oscillatory energy

1. What is the formula for the time period in harmonic oscillation?

The formula for the time period in harmonic oscillation is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time period in seconds, m is the mass in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in newtons per meter.

2. How does the mass affect the time period in harmonic oscillation?

The time period in harmonic oscillation is directly proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that as the mass increases, the time period also increases.

3. What factors affect the time period in harmonic oscillation?

The time period in harmonic oscillation is affected by the mass, spring constant, and amplitude of the oscillation. It is also affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

4. How does the spring constant affect the time period in harmonic oscillation?

The time period in harmonic oscillation is inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the time period decreases.

5. Can the time period in harmonic oscillation be changed?

Yes, the time period in harmonic oscillation can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the mass, spring constant, and amplitude. It can also be changed by external factors like temperature and air resistance.