Time period of a periodic function

Homework Statement:

Relevant Equations:

Consider the following periodic function:
## f(t) = \sin(ωt) + \cos(2ωt) + \sin(4ωt) ##
What is the time period of the above periodic function?
The following is given in my book:

Period is the least interval of time after which the function repeats. Here, ##\sin(ωt)## has a period ##T_o = \frac{2π}{ω}##, ##\cos(2ωt)## has a period ##\frac{T_o}{2}## and ##\sin(4ωt)## has a period of ##\frac{T_o}{4}##. The period of the first term is a multiple of the periods of the last two terms. Therefore, the smallest interval of time after which the sum of the three terms repeats is ##T_o##, and thus, Time period is ##T_o##.

I don't understand what the above lines mean.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What don't you understand?

Likes Kaushik
What don't you understand?
Oh wait! So by the time the ##\sin(ωt)## function finishes one oscillation the other two finishes more than one i.e, 2 and 4 respectively. Is that what they mean when they say multiple? So we need the shortest time at which all three terms of the function ##f(t)## are in the initial position and that time is ##T_o##. Is it?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Oh wait! So by the time the ##\sin(ωt)## function finishes one oscillation the other two finishes more than one i.e, 2 and 4 respectively. Is that what they mean when they say multiple? So we need the shortest time at which all three terms of the function ##f(t)## are in the initial position and that time is ##T_o##. Is it?
Yes.

Likes Kaushik