Time Required Engineering Studies?

In summary, most people study 4-5 hours per day, with the average curve being at the end of the semester. The books should be so exciting that you read them all the way through a few days after you by them. If you start slogging through two hours a day on random days, its quite possible the time could add up to nothing.
Umer_Latif
How much time on average is required for Engineering studies? I mean hoe much time per day should an average student normally dedicate for Electrical Engineering studies?

Physics news on Phys.org
2 hrs study average

The real quick and smart ones might be able to do well on 2 hours per day, but many of us study much more then that.

I usually take 4-5 classes per semester and I tend to study closer to 4 hours per day including writing lab reports.

For most of my EE classes, the average is curved at the end of the semester. If I'm putting in more time then the average student, I can usually count on doing better then most when it comes to tests, homework, labs, and final grades.

The books should be so exciting that you read them all the way through a few days after you by them. Then you go to class and listen carefully.

With this method the only time spend out of class is for doing assignments, and of course that varies with how many assignments are in your class.

If you start slogging through two hours a day on random days, its quite possible the time could add up to nothing. I measure a class by how long it takes to learn the subject, e.g. 20 hours, and then concentrate on that for just a few days and relax the rest of the time.

It fluctuates. You'll spend more time on homeworks than you will on exams, usually. The problem sets are where you really learn the material. The exams are just a procedure to grade the students. I've never really learned new stuff from studying for an exam, I just reinforced the things I already knew.

However, be prepared to spend 10-14+ hours on problem sets. Especially if you work alone on some of them.

1. How long does it typically take to complete engineering studies?

The length of time required to complete engineering studies can vary depending on several factors, such as the specific type of engineering program, the student's course load, and any breaks or interruptions in the student's academic career. Generally, a bachelor's degree in engineering takes around 4-5 years to complete, while a master's degree may take an additional 2-3 years.

2. Can engineering studies be completed faster through accelerated programs?

Yes, there are some accelerated engineering programs that allow students to complete their studies at a faster pace. These programs often require a heavier course load and may have shorter breaks between semesters. However, it's important to carefully consider the workload and potential impact on academic performance before enrolling in an accelerated program.

3. Are there any prerequisites or requirements for enrolling in engineering studies?

Yes, most engineering programs have specific prerequisites or requirements that students must meet before enrolling. These may include completing certain math and science courses, achieving a minimum GPA, or having relevant work or volunteer experience. It's important to research and understand the requirements for the specific engineering program you are interested in.

4. Can engineering studies be completed online?

Yes, there are some engineering programs that offer online courses or even fully online degrees. However, these programs may have limited availability and may not be accredited. It's important to thoroughly research the program and its accreditation before enrolling in an online engineering program.

5. Are there any options to shorten the time required for engineering studies?

Some students may be able to shorten the time required for engineering studies by taking summer courses, enrolling in an accelerated program, or transferring credits from previous coursework or work experience. However, it's important to carefully consider the academic workload and potential impact on academic performance before pursuing these options.