Analyzing Wall Thickness vs Force Data Sets

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving extracting data from a .CSV and .MDB file, which has been done but not correctly. The data sets show 'Wall Thickness vs. Time' and 'Force vs. Time' and there is a figure that plots both at the same time. The goal is to prove a correlation between higher wall thickness and higher drag force, but there is an issue with synchronizing the time format in MATLAB.
Nusc
Attached are three figures. The problem in question essentially involves extracting data from a .CSV (MS Excel) file and .mdb (MS Access) file which I have done already but not correctly.

Data set #1: gives me 'Wall Thickness vs. Time' ( [3400 - 8200] s , [0,1] in.) as shown in figure3.jpg.
Data set #2: gives me 'Force vs. Time' ( [ 0 - 17,000] lbs. , [3.8x10^4, 3.86x10^4] s) as shown in figure2.jpg

figure1.jpg is the figure that plots both at the same time. In the Wall Thickness vs. Time graph, I had only selected the first step function within figure3.jpg.

Physically we expected that higher wall thickness requires higher drag force. The idea is to prove this correlation.

The issue is with the time format in MATLAB. I cannot synchronize them together.

I hope that is clear.

Thanks for your help,

Attachments

• figure1.jpg
    figure1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 568
  • figure2.jpg
    figure2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 583
  • figure3.jpg
    figure3.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 573
Physics news on Phys.org
One data set is measured over the time interval [3400, 8200] whereas the other is over the interval [38000, 38600]. Why would you expect them to be synchronized?

1. What is the purpose of analyzing wall thickness vs force data sets?

The purpose of analyzing wall thickness vs force data sets is to understand the relationship between these two variables and determine how changes in wall thickness affect the amount of force a structure can withstand. This information is crucial for designing and engineering safe and efficient structures.

2. What methods are used to analyze wall thickness vs force data sets?

There are a few different methods that can be used to analyze wall thickness vs force data sets, such as regression analysis, statistical modeling, and data visualization. These methods help to identify patterns and trends in the data and make predictions about the relationship between wall thickness and force.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the analysis?

The accuracy of the analysis can be affected by various factors, such as the quality and quantity of the data, the chosen method of analysis, and the assumptions made during the analysis. It is important to carefully consider these factors and use appropriate techniques to minimize potential errors.

4. How can the results of the analysis be applied in real-world situations?

The results of the analysis can be applied in real-world situations to inform engineering decisions and improve the design and construction of structures. For example, the data can be used to determine the appropriate wall thickness for a given force requirement, or to identify potential weaknesses in existing structures.

5. Can wall thickness vs force data sets be used to predict the lifespan of a structure?

While wall thickness vs force data sets can provide valuable information about the strength and durability of a structure, they may not be the only factor in determining its lifespan. Other factors such as maintenance, environmental conditions, and material quality also play a significant role. Therefore, the data should be used in conjunction with other considerations to make accurate predictions about the lifespan of a structure.