1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time to Travel to One Infinity and Back?

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the ODE x' = x2 + ε, where ε is a small number. Find the time T = T(ε) it takes for the solution to travel from x = -∞ to x = ∞.

Let T1 = T1(ε) be the time it takes the particle to travel to x = -1 to x = 1. Show that T/T1 → 1 as ε → 1.

2. Relevant equations

Uhmm... we haven't really learned any yet. This is qualitative analysis of ODEs.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea where to start really. I thought that to find time, we could treat x' as a velocity, and find the position function by integrating x'. Once we had this position function, I thought it would be okay to divide position by velocity to find time... but I don't even know what that would represent! From negative infinity to infinity, no less...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this case you have to solve the ODE before you start making statements about the qualitative behavior. Start with the second part. Solve the ODE with initial conditions x=(-1) at t=0 and figure out how long it takes you to get to x=1.

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    Are the initial conditions arbitrarily set? As in it's just convenient to use -1 at t=0 because... well I don't know... :/

I mean, how exactly did you come to the conclusion that that was the best course of action to start with?

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's the best course of action because I don't see how else you would do it. And no, the initial conditions aren't particularly arbitrary. If x(0)=(-1) then if you can find the value of t such that x(t)=1 (or at least the limit of that as epsilon goes to 0) then that value of t is the time required to go from x=(-1) to x=1.

6. Jan 19, 2012 #5
    So I am trying to solve it now, but I am a little put off by the ε. I mean, I understand how to solve an ODE with just x' = x2... but when you say the limit of ε → 0, is that a final step or something? I'm just having trouble getting this problem off the ground.

EDIT: I'd like to add that my professor "kind of" went over this question today. He stated that if ε > 0, then there would be no equilibrium solutions, but if ε < 0, then there are two equilibrium solutions on a "bifurcation line" thing. I remember the term "saddle node bifurcation" and that if ε < 0, then the two equilibrium solutions are -√ε and √ε. I feel that I should use this information to solve this question... but to be honest I didn't really understand any of this bifurcation stuff.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. Jan 19, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You really need to be able to solve differential equations to understand them. Forget all the other stuff for now. Just concentrate on that. Put ε=1. Try and solve x'=x^2+1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook