Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time travel and energy

1. Nov 16, 2003 #1
    Suppose time travel is possible. Then will it violate the law of conservation of energy??
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2003 #2
    Time travel is possible - into the future anyway.

And No, it doesn't.
  4. Nov 16, 2003 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

why is time travel possible? dont you have to move faster than light to time travel?
  5. Nov 16, 2003 #4

I'm pretty sure I am not moving FTL right now....
  6. Nov 16, 2003 #5
    Maintaining a constant velocity in terms of time seems to be relatively simple. But, I am having a problem with accelerating in a positive or negative direction.

7. Nov 16, 2003 #6
    I was under the impression that it is possible to build a time machine, but it would be useless since you would need a power source greater than a star's.
  8. Nov 17, 2003 #7
    In answer to Chrono and Jimmy, time travel into the future is not just a possibility, but occurs whenever one body moves with a velocity wrt another. It was described by Einstein and is a consequence of the speed of light being constant for all observers. It is only really noticeable at high velocities (ie close to c)
    When you fly to New York from London you actually travel about a billionth of a second into the future! This has been measured with Atomic clocks and agrees with Einstein's predictions.

So, travel quickly - see the future!
  9. Nov 17, 2003 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

Yeah guys there is no need to get sarcastic !! Thank you Adrian!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?