Timer based switch for a power capacitor

In summary, a capacitor contactor will be needed to cover transformer loss, and a digital timer will be used to control it.
Harsh864
TL;DR Summary
Switch On in evening and off at night
To cover transformer loss at no load and maintain pf, we are needing 6kvar at day time and 9 kvar at evening.

Is there any time based switch available, such that it can switch ON 3 kvar at evening, say 8:00pm and turn off automatically at 8:00AM morning

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you studied the features of the circuit breaker you are currently using? It may have capabilities for remote logic inputs.

No it doesn't have logic input

Harsh864 said:
Summary: Switch On in evening and off at night

To cover transformer loss at no load and maintain pf, we are needing 6kvar at day time and 9 kvar at evening.

Is there any time based switch available, such that it can switch ON 3 kvar at evening, say 8:00pm and turn off automatically at 8:00AM morning
Sure, plenty of ways to do this, but it is difficult to say without a better understanding of the specifics. For example, if this is a 600V bank then size a contactor to suit (check the contactor manufacture's recommendations) and control the contactor with a 24 hour timer along the lines of the Intermatic pictured below, or program an intelligent relay such as a Siemens Logo! to do the job.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff and anorlunda
Asymptotic said:
Sure, plenty of ways to do this, but it is difficult to say without a better understanding of the specifics. For example, if this is a 600V bank then size a contactor to suit (check the contactor manufacture's recommendations) and control the contactor with a 24 hour timer along the lines of the Intermatic pictured below, or program an intelligent relay such as a Siemens Logo! to do the job.
View attachment 244848
I considered this things, but this all are rated at 240vac, whereas our line is 415vac, 50hz, 3 phase.
The transformer is 500kva rating.

Harsh864 said:
I considered this things, but this all are rated at 240vac, whereas our line is 415vac, 50hz, 3 phase.
The transformer is 500kva rating.
Add a transformer to step down from 415V to whatever control voltage you desire.

Asymptotic said:
Add a transformer to step down from 415V to whatever control voltage you desire.
Sir, this may sound good but how that tiny transformer will handle incoming current if there's is some load required at any time.?

I am more inclined towards the intermatic mechanical switch but the voltage should 415v-440v

Harsh864 said:
415 VAC, 3 Phase is actually three lines, each 240 VAC relative to the neutral, separated by 120° phase.

Likes Ganesh1199, Asymptotic, anorlunda and 1 other person
Control voltage transformer need only be sized large enough to handle contactor coil inrush current (plus whatever else may be connected to it - indicating pilot lamps, timer, and whatnot).

Work back from the contactor specifications, for example, if the contactor coil is rated 220V, 70 VA inrush and the timer consumes 5VA, a transformer rated 150 VA will easily handle the load.

Have you looked into any Intermatic timer specs? I don't know what they may offer in 415V/50 Hz, but their 60 Hz timer product line includes 480V timer motor supply with 20 amp contacts rated for up to 480V AC operation, and will easily handle a contactor coil. Be sure if you use a motor-based timer like this that the motor is rated 50 Hz, or the timing will be thrown off.

Can I go without adding any transformer, sir.?

Things I need -
1. Capacitor duty contactor
2. Digital Timer
3. 3 kvar capacitor

Digital timer will be connected to contactor and will control it. It will turn on/off the contactor and Therefore the capacitor.
Digital timer will be connected to 1live wire and neutral phase.
Am I Right..??

We have these products available here -

https://www.havells.com/en/consumer.../digital-weekly-programmable-time-switch.html
https://www.bestomart.com/products/l-t-crono-digital-time-switch-1000010836?variant=9605099520057
https://www.bestomart.com/products/l-t-gic-time-switch-j648b1analog-version-1000009126?variant=33729359630&currency=INR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5aHc4b_h4gIVAmoqCh1Z7Q0EEAQYByABEgIV1fD_BwE

Harsh864 said:
Can I go without adding any transformer, sir.?
Sure, if you have a neutral line available, and the control components are rated 240V/50Hz.
You'll want to fuse the control circuit to prevent damage in case a short circuit failure of the timer or contactor coil occur.

Before you order parts and build the KVAR capacitor bank and controls have a qualified electrician look over your plans.

Asymptotic said:
Sure, if you have a neutral line available, and the control components are rated 240V/50Hz.
You'll want to fuse the control circuit to prevent damage in case a short circuit failure of the timer

Yes neutral line available and will provide MCB.
Capacitor and it's contactor will be 415V/50hz
I hope that's not a issue.

Edit - sorry, I got your point. The contactor coil should be 230 vac, along with fuses/MCB.

Am I right.?

Is there any contactor available for such a low capacitor - 3kvar.?

Last edited:
Harsh864 said:
Is there any contactor available for such a low capacitor - 3kvar.?

Search "capacitor contactor selection", pick a manufacturer (ABB, Schneider, Siemens, etc) and study their catalogs.

Harsh864 said:
Am I right.?
Best advice I can give you is have a qualified electrician look over your plans, and do the wiring. I think you have the general idea, but the nature of your questions suggest limited background in electrical applications.

Sure, I will be having a electrician doing the work.
Thanks a lot for helping me out @Asymptotic

Likes anorlunda

1. What is a timer based switch for a power capacitor?

A timer based switch for a power capacitor is a device that controls the activation and deactivation of a power capacitor based on a predetermined time interval. It is used to improve the power factor of an electrical system by reducing the reactive power and increasing the efficiency of the system.

2. How does a timer based switch for a power capacitor work?

A timer based switch for a power capacitor works by using a timer to turn the power capacitor on and off at specific intervals. The timer is usually set to turn the capacitor on during peak demand periods and off during low demand periods. This helps to improve the power factor of the system and reduce energy costs.

3. What are the benefits of using a timer based switch for a power capacitor?

The main benefit of using a timer based switch for a power capacitor is improved power factor and increased energy efficiency. This can result in reduced energy costs and improved performance of electrical equipment. Additionally, it can help to extend the lifespan of the power capacitor by preventing it from being overworked.

4. How do I choose the right timer based switch for my power capacitor?

When choosing a timer based switch for a power capacitor, it is important to consider the voltage and current ratings of your electrical system, as well as the size and type of power capacitor you are using. You should also consider the timer interval and the number of switching cycles the switch can handle in a given time period.

5. Can a timer based switch for a power capacitor be used in all types of electrical systems?

Timer based switches for power capacitors can be used in a variety of electrical systems, including single-phase and three-phase systems. However, it is important to ensure that the switch is compatible with your specific system and that it is installed correctly to avoid any potential safety hazards or damage to equipment.