Tips for freshman taking physics ?

In summary: Try to think through everything they're saying before trying to solve them. Pay attention in class and try to take notes on what you don't understand. Do past problems to try and get a better understanding of the concepts.People with poor memorization don't do as well in biology. But if you're having trouble doing word problems then it seems like you dont know the concepts. Try to think through everything they're saying before trying to solve them. Pay attention in class and try to take notes on what you don't understand. Do past problems to try and get a better understanding of the concepts.In summary, the freshman in the Physics I class struggles to pay attention in class and learn the concepts. She suggests trying to think
myaaxcore
Okay so, I'm a freshman in a Physics I class. I must admit, it's not the easiest thing ever and I really want to pass this class. Physics doesn't come naturally for me but most other people in my class seems to understand all the information bieng taught. I'm however mostly clueless.

One reason is probably that i daydream alot. Physics doesn't come naturally for me like biology did. And i think physics would be a lot easier if i took trig but i take geometry.. very few freshman actually take trigonometry.

Any tips for learning this stuff?? How did you guys learn all the formulas and where and when exactly to use them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do past problems.
Learn the code words in questions, ie smooth slope (ignore friction), massless spring etc
Check units, always write the units on both sides of the equation and check they balance.
Do an order of magnitude estimate first, especially for astronomy or molecular scale problems where you have very large or small numbers in the answer

mgb_phys said:
Do past problems.
Learn the code words in questions, ie smooth slope (ignore friction), massless spring etc
Check units, always write the units on both sides of the equation and check they balance.
Do an order of magnitude estimate first, especially for astronomy or molecular scale problems where you have very large or small numbers in the answer

Hm, code words(:
i'll try to notice as many code words as possible thank you for your advice ^_^

What specifically are you having trouble with?

Feldoh said:
What specifically are you having trouble with?

Paying attention in class and i never know what formula to use in word problems.

myaaxcore said:
i never know what formula to use in word problems.
Then you certainly do not understand the physics at all. Read the book, think through everything they say, picture everything happening in your head, then associate that with formulas. Then when you get a word problem picture yourself what is happening, then it gets obvious what formulas to use.

Nobody is going to be able to tell you the secret to physics.

myaaxcore said:
Paying attention in class and i never know what formula to use in word problems.

Perhaps these two things are directly related?

Always think about what you know and you don't know. For example, if you are given the time it takes to get to the final velocity and the acceleration (the rate of velocity's change), can you find the final velocity? Before looking at those kinematic equations, think about what you would need to know before knowing the final velocity, final position..et c.

It sounds like you know your trouble is paying attention. I am afraid that we can't help you much here - that's something you have to do yourself.

myaaxcore said:
Okay so, I'm a freshman in a Physics I class. I must admit, it's not the easiest thing ever and I really want to pass this class. Physics doesn't come naturally for me but most other people in my class seems to understand all the information bieng taught. I'm however mostly clueless.

One reason is probably that i daydream alot. Physics doesn't come naturally for me like biology did. And i think physics would be a lot easier if i took trig but i take geometry.. very few freshman actually take trigonometry.

Any tips for learning this stuff?? How did you guys learn all the formulas and where and when exactly to use them?

... biology comes naturally to everyone, that's the nature of definitions and facts that people just have to memorize and not really think about.

Heresy said:
... biology comes naturally to everyone, that's the nature of definitions and facts that people just have to memorize and not really think about.

Well that's not entirely true. People with poor memorization don't do as well in biology.

-----------------

But if you're having trouble doing word problems then it seems like you dont know the concepts.

1. What are some tips for studying physics as a freshman?

Some tips for studying physics as a freshman include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing problems regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and forming study groups with classmates.

2. How can I succeed in my physics lab as a freshman?

To succeed in your physics lab as a freshman, make sure to read the lab instructions carefully, arrive prepared with all necessary materials, follow safety protocols, and work collaboratively with your lab partners. Also, take time to review the concepts and theories behind the lab before and after completing it.

3. What resources are available for freshman taking physics?

There are many resources available for freshman taking physics, such as textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and academic support centers. Your university may also offer tutoring services or supplemental instruction for physics courses.

4. How can I prepare for exams in my freshman physics class?

To prepare for exams in your freshman physics class, make sure to review all lecture notes, textbook readings, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to create flashcards or study guides, work on practice exams, and attend review sessions offered by your professor or teaching assistants.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in freshman physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid in freshman physics include not attending lectures or not taking thorough notes, waiting until the last minute to study or complete assignments, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to avoid relying on memorization and instead focus on understanding the underlying concepts and principles.