Should I Drop or Stick with my Statics Course?

• Thread starter Dougggggg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop
In summary, the student is currently in a Statics course, but is not interested in being an Engineer. He got a B on his first test but is worried about his next test because he doesn't want to make any mistakes. The professor said that he should be done by 5pm, which is 4:35pm, but the student is not able to finish the problem. The student decides to stay in the class and talk to other students to see if they think he should drop the class.
Dougggggg
I'm currently in a Statics course, even though I am not really interested in being an Engineer (nothing against them, it's just not my favorite thing in the world). I go to a small school that doesn't have a lot of Physics courses so I just take them all. So the first test in the class didn't go great, I got a B, but I made some silly mistakes. I thought to myself, not going to let that happen again on this next test. Now a little thing, I usually just try to find a way to solve just about every problem, though there are tricks to get to the answer quicker, I am better off just letting my math skills get to work on a harder problem than to try and memorize a bunch of tricks (that holds true to an extent of course, I do learn some of them). So I am taking my time, making sure there are not mistakes being made on this test. Now with every other teacher in the Math and Physics department I have had to this point (4/5, this was my first time having this particular professor, the only one I hadn't had yet), you can take as long as you need on a test. He has to leave, but he trusts us to finish the test on our on (it's just 3 of us, none of which are the kind to cheat, we actually would prefer to beat the other 2 more than anything, all in fun, we are really the best of friends). He says put it under his door when we finish. Then as he is leaving he says, just make sure your done by 5. I was like, wait what? Why? He says that shouldn't need much more time than that. It is like 4:35 at this point. I am on number 4. At this point I'm stressing due to that and that isn't making things easier, in fact, it is stealing part of my concentration. I slowly realize, I'm not going to be able to finish this problem by then, I start looking through, there are none I can finish at this point and it is 4:50. I turn in the test, I am not very happy with how it went, I know I got the first 3 right and probably could have gotten a 100, I understood what I was doing.

So now, this below 50, along with a B, the class is not looking like it will help my 4.0 in Math and Physics courses (granted it's still early in my undergrad). I don't really want a bad grade in the class, to be honest, I didn't even really want to take the class, it was out of pressure from not just one but two academic advisors. I am not really enjoying it that much to be honest, but I don't want a W for it either.

Other things that might help you guys give me informed opinions, I am in my 3rd semester as a Math and Physics major, currently in Physics II, Calc II, Abstract Algebra, then just research and an easy gen ed. 3.7 cum GPA, 4.0 in my major course. I am NOT required to take this course. I have 3 dropped courses already from when I dropped an education major.

So should I drop it like it's hot, or stick it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I can't answer your question. I'm too jealous of being able to take as much time as you need to write tests.

I don't have a problem with a time limit, I just want to be warned ahead of time. Even the professor saying as he hands it out would be fine. Pulling it out of nowhere was not cool. I talked to a few people, I'm going to stay in the class until the drop date at the very least, if things look better then I will stay in. For now, it is spring break.

1. Should I drop my statics course if I am struggling?

It depends on your specific situation. If you are struggling because you are not putting in enough effort, dropping the course may not be the best solution. However, if you are genuinely struggling despite putting in your best effort, it may be worth considering dropping the course to avoid a failing grade.

2. Will dropping my statics course affect my GPA?

Yes, dropping a course will affect your GPA. However, it may be better to have a "W" (withdrawal) on your transcript instead of a failing grade, which can have a more significant impact on your GPA.

3. Can I retake the statics course if I drop it?

Yes, you can retake the statics course if you drop it. However, it is essential to check with your academic advisor to ensure that it will not affect your progress towards graduation or any other degree requirements.

4. What are the consequences of dropping a statics course?

The consequences of dropping a statics course may include financial implications, such as not receiving a tuition refund, and academic implications, such as delaying your graduation. It is crucial to consider all the potential consequences before making a decision.

5. How can I decide if I should drop or stick with my statics course?

The decision ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. Consider factors such as your current grade, your effort and understanding of the material, and your long-term academic plans. It may also be helpful to speak with your professor or academic advisor for guidance.