Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To: The Terrorists

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, we have all heard the terrorists expressing their feelings about the west, so turnaround seems to be fair play. What would you like to say to them?

Here is my message.

You don't scare me. You may have tricked a good number of people into thinking that you are more than a bunch of penny thugs, but I know you for who you are. You are all a bunch of nuts who would have followed any cause that provides a common enemy. You need to hate and kill because that's who you are - any excuse would do. You may have had legitimate issues with US policy in the Middle East, but when you chose to attack the innocent, you proved yourselves to be unworthy of our sympathy or understanding. It is no longer about us, it is all about you.

Perhaps Prozac or anti-psychotic medications would help. In either case, you and your cause will die because you seek to destroy the human spirit and freedom, and that is a battle can that never be won. In the end, all good people will recognize you as vermin that you are.

I am laughing in your face.

Go crawl back into your cave and eat some bugs. As wild animals, that's where you belong.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2

J77

"Most of us don't all agree with Mr Blair."

In response to the above post - they haven't tricked us, the Western press tries to tick us. The West attacked them [Iraq]. Why should the US have a Middle East policy? Eat some bugs?!?!?!?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  4. Sep 8, 2006 #3
    they are here for the camels, have you not heard?

5. Sep 8, 2006 #4
    I can't believe what I'm hearing.

You're saying that terrorism is the result of the US invasion of Iraq? Were you born yesterday?

WE got drawn into this fight BY THEIR ATTACK on our soil!

People such as yourself, who fail to see the situation as it really is, are the reason we will lose this war. As soon as more attacks on our soil come, such people will cry out "Oh please mr. terrorist, please don't hurt us! spare us our snivelling pathetic lives! We'll do whatever you want! We'll make our women walk 5 paces behind us, we'll chop off hands for theft, we'll leave women in their house to die if we can find 4 witnesses to testify to their lewdness"

6. Sep 8, 2006 #5

Huh?

You do realize that islamic terrorism has been ongoing since the 70s, right?

Or are you as ignorant of history as most people?

7. Sep 8, 2006 #6
    I think YOU are a VICTIM of the US Media....the US government has no business imposing thier beliefs or laws in other countries, just look at Cuba, it is a great example...the same is with siding with Israel and doing every possible thing to take away the power from the oil countries (ie Most of Middle East).

Before making any further judgements and replying back, just do a bit of reading...I don't mean the entirely false USA Today or NY times, those are very biased papers.....just think about the power that the media has...
    TAKE A LOOK at fringe papers, or articles that don't often get published because their truths go against what the government wants us to think....it really is a conspiracy.....www.whatreallyhappened.com

it is a great site that will offer you some insight into global perspectives on all the same issues....

www.whatreallyhappened.com <-- Check it out!

8. Sep 8, 2006 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That link is not a valid news source and is most definitely slanted viewpoints. :rolleyes:

I'm with Ivan, the terrorists are a blight on this earth.

9. Sep 8, 2006 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree.

Unfortunately, that kind of attitude is in the minority now a days. The prevailing attitude is that the idea of terrorism is scary enough to justify anything and everything - including warrantless surveillance and torture. The fear of terrorism has even extended to include the fear of anyone and anything from the Middle East, as exhibited when DP World bought the company performing US port operations.

Terrorism is a real threat and increasing security is only common sense, but some of the reactions to the threat of terrorism have gone way beyond the actual threat posed.

10. Sep 8, 2006 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't believe this thread isn't locked.

11. Sep 8, 2006 #10
    "slanted viewpoints" is exactly it.....its information and points of view that are being hidden and kept from us. aren't we intelligent enough to sort through information ourselves, why not provide us with all the information so that we may decide for ourselves...

I agree that terrorism is wrong and does not justify a cause or vice versa, but I do not agree with the way the United States imposes and enforces its views on other countries. Of course people will fight back, and terrorism is just one of those ways.....unfortunately, it has violent consequences.

12. Sep 8, 2006 #11

Evo

No, unfortunately crazy terrorists chose to do violence to innocent people.

13. Sep 8, 2006 #12
    Well I think you covered it nicely.

I would just add, that your philosophy (terrorists) is flaud, because we are all human, and humans cant be perfect...

14. Sep 8, 2006 #13
    because we might offend the terrorists ?:confused:

regardless of the beliefs a terrorist follows, the actions that are used in the pursuit of those beliefs cannot be justified under any circumstances. Nor can the genocide of innocents. How many of those lost on 9/11 were directly responsible for any US middle eastern policies? Ever? How about zero? Terrorists are scared bullies who are taking the beatings they got from their fathers out on the rest of the school kids unable to defend themselves. They can't attack the true target of thier anger, so they lash out at whoever they can get to, which happens to be innocent civilians.

I don't pretend to know the mind of a terrorist, but I know that killing innocent people will not change america's freedoms. If anything it only serves to reinforce the resolution and faith in a system that favors equality. I don't personally believe it's our business to force the rest of the world to follow our belief system, but interference in our business justifies self preservation. We didn't pick the fight (as a whole not just our government) but we're not going to stand around and take a beating like a red headed step child.

People think it's about making people become like america. It's not. It's about freedom of choice, plain and simple. The ideal is bigger than any country. Slavery has many forms. I'd rather die a countryless free man then spend one second under tyranny and oppression, IMHO.

/rant off

15. Sep 8, 2006 #14
    Huh? Dont you mean 40's? :rolleyes:

16. Sep 8, 2006 #15

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He meant 700s, as in 8th century.

17. Sep 8, 2006 #16

russ_watters

9/11 (not to mention the Cole and the first WTC bombong) happened before Iraq and Iraq wasn't directly about terrorism.
    Every country needs foreign policy.

For the OP, though, I more or less agree with everything in it, with the main objection being that "penny thugs" don't often kill more than a few people at a time.

18. Sep 8, 2006 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Terrorists are so screwed up I can't even begin to understand their logic. A couple of weeks ago I saw this interview with the mother of a "martyr" (a suicide bomber, I think) and she was talking about how proud she was of her son, and how mothers of martyrs have special places of honor, and how pleased Allah was, and yadda yadda yadda. It was the anniversary of her son's death. At one point in the interview she started to cry. She said she was crying tears of happiness.

These people are completely mentally warped.

19. Sep 8, 2006 #18

russ_watters

That's what scares me the most about terrorism. It is easy to dismiss guys like OBL as unique psychopaths, but the reality is that the way of thinking that supports terrorism is widespread. Brainwashing? Mass psychosis? I don't know, but watever it is, it is very difficult to deal with.

Anyone see "American History X"? It seems to be the same type of thing, to me (racism caused by a poor living environment). What gets the main character thinking in the movie is when someone he respects asks him: "what have you done to improve your situation?" It is easy to blame external sources, but trying to fix your issues yourself is hard. It is simple blame-shifting, and it seems like it is a common component of the human psyche.

20. Sep 8, 2006 #19
    Well, the earliest thing that popped into my memory was the Munich olympics, and the cruise ship in the mediterranean(just checked, that was actually '85, the Achille Lauro). The first Arab-Israeli plane high jacking was '68.

I don't recall, nor can I find any incidents of islamic terrorism predating that though (no, I'm not going to count the wars of the caliphates pre 1500 AD, that was organized state warfare). Of course, the act of terrorizing civilians to gain power has been around for millennia.

edit: Oh, i found what you were talking about. During British occupation of egypt in WWII, yes?

21. Sep 8, 2006 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And in equal opportunity?

One thing different about the terrorist threat in the US is that there haven't been any home grown terrorist groups spring up in sympathy with the world wide movement. It makes it a lot easier to defend against terrorism if you're defending against an outside threat instead of an inside threat.

Which emphasizes the point that the US shouldn't respond to the threat of terrorism by forgetting who it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?