Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #3,816
I had some vegetable leftover: a red bell pepper, some tomatoes, and onions. Cut them and gave them with some olive oil into the pan. I used almost all the spices and herbs I could find to add some taste to it, and finally some PB. I was surprised that it not only gave some flavor but also made a perfect consistency which prior to it was only water and oil.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,817
fresh_42 said:
I used almost all the spices and herbs I could find to add some taste to it...
Have you considered getting tested for Covid-19? :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, mfb, Tom.G and 2 others
  • #3,818
fresh_42 said:
I had some vegetable leftover: a red bell pepper, some tomatoes, and onions. Cut them and gave them with some olive oil into the pan. I used almost all the spices and herbs I could find to add some taste to it, and finally some PB. I was surprised that it not only gave some flavor but also made a perfect consistency which prior to it was only water and oil.
That is almost exactly the recipe for a satay sauce :-p

Likes Klystron, rsk, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
  • #3,819
pbuk said:
That is almost exactly the recipe for a satay sauce :-p
I ate it with rice (basmati), and it made sense.

Likes pbuk
  • #3,820
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ransomware-attack-paralyzes-hundreds-u-232413623.html
WASHINGTON (AP) — A ransomware attack paralyzed the networks of at least 200 U.S. companies on Friday, according to a cybersecurity researcher whose company was responding to the incident.

The REvil gang, a major Russian-speaking ransomware syndicate, appears to be behind the attack, said John Hammond of the security firm Huntress Labs. He said the criminals targeted a software supplier called Kaseya, using its network-management package as a conduit to spread the ransomware through cloud-service providers. Other researchers agreed with Hammond's assessment.
That sucks. :nb) :wideeyed::nb)

Likes KingGambit
  • #3,821
Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 9.10.27 PM.png

TIL (from here) that staghorn ferns can form colonies (in nature) of many individual plants. Different members of the colony can take on different functions to benefit the colony.
This is called eusociality and was thought to be limited to colonial animals like bees and ants (workers, queens, soldiers).

• Informative
Likes rsk, strangerep, hmmm27 and 3 others
  • #3,822
TIL that "sick pay" doesn't mean the job pays really well.

• Haha
Likes rsk, mfb, pbuk and 3 others
  • #3,823
ergospherical said:
TIL that "sick pay" doesn't mean the job pays really well.
"Sick" in the sense of "weak and feeble", however...

Likes rsk and ergospherical
  • #3,824
TIL that "splat" is a term for asterisk, as in:
jbriggs444 said:
It appears that you are using multi-character variable names with splats ("*") for multiplication.
I like it.

• #3,825
gmax137 said:
I like it.
So does Rotten Tomatoes

Likes BillTre
  • #3,826
gmax137 said:
TIL that "splat" is a term for asterisk, as in:

I like it.
Ever since it was in the parodying film 'Modesty Blaise' whenever someone in a film falls off a building or a cliff I wait a second and then say in a flat voice 'SPLATT!'

• #3,827
epenguin said:
Ever since it was in the parodying film 'Modesty Blaise' whenever someone in a film falls off a building or a cliff I wait a second and then say in a flat voice 'SPLATT!'
And, appropriately enough, Modesty Blaise got a splat:

1625594958034.png

Likes epenguin
  • #3,828
In the same vein as '*' is sometimes spoken as 'splat', '#' is sometimes spoken as 'crunch' and '!' is 'bang'.

--diogenesNY

• #3,829
diogenesNY said:
In the same vein as '*' is sometimes spoken as 'splat', '#' is sometimes spoken as 'crunch' and '!' is 'bang'.
! universe #

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY and phinds
  • #3,830
diogenesNY said:

--diogenesNY
"Bang" I know. What's the connection between "#" and "crunch?"

When I was a kid, "#" was "number" or "pounds." Lately it's "hash" or more annoyingly "hash tag" from twitter. As far as I know, "hash" in this sense is a variable type, like integer "I" or "F" floating point. Wasn't "H" Hollerith type in FORTRAN, similar to # today in PERL? I'm no programmer. Obviously.

• #3,831
gmax137 said:
"Bang" I know. What's the connection between "#" and "crunch?"

When I was a kid, "#" was "number" or "pounds." Lately it's "hash" or more annoyingly "hash tag" from twitter. As far as I know, "hash" in this sense is a variable type, like integer "I" or "F" floating point. Wasn't "H" Hollerith type in FORTRAN, similar to # today in PERL? I'm no programmer. Obviously.

I am familiar with the more descriptive names of hash, pounds, etc for '#'. Crunch, along with splat and bang can be found in the MIT 'Jargon File' as spoken vocalizations of those symbols when reading certain sorts of programming source code.

I _think_ that the term 'crunch' is some sort of throwback to 'adding machines' of the electro-mechanical sort that were ubiquitous in the mid-twentieth century, where the # key would total (crunch) all the previous entries.

--diogenesNY

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Ibix, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
  • #3,832
gmax137 said:
Wasn't "H" Hollerith type in FORTRAN, similar to # today in PERL?
A Hollerith literal was a way of encoding string values in a program, for instance, 3HABC. The leading digit gives the string length, the H identifies it as a Hollerith literal and the remaining characters are the string value. e.g.
Fortran:
I = 3HABC
It was before my time. I started on VAX Fortran-77 which had perfectly good (*) fixed length character strings, string literals with double quotes and a slice notation for sub-strings.

(*) Well, almost perfectly good. Null strings were not well supported. You could not do an empty string literal. If you compiled with bounds checking enabled, a null slice such as mystring(1:0) was disallowed. My code made liberal use of null slices to denote empty strings. It worked fine with bounds checking disabled.

Last edited:
  • #3,833
Italy has 34 separate languages, all of which evolved independently from Latin. Modern Italian is a single dialect of Tuscan that was chosen in the late 19th century, after unification and independence, to be the national language.

• Informative
Likes Stavros Kiri, Klystron, jasonRF and 2 others
  • #3,834
Today I learned, why aliens never visit us.
Forget about Fermi paradox, Filter, Goldilocks, etc...

When I try to see if there's some discussion about cosmology from an enginner view as opposed to a scientist view (not that I regard Bill Nye is not a scientist).
And I type
Bill Nye Degrasse Tyson Big Bang I got this.

Likes Stavros Kiri
  • #3,835
Today I learned that Earnst A. Guillemin, who was an EE prof at MIT and wrote a number of books on circuits and networks, earned his PhD under Sommerfeld.

I have had his Mathematics of Circuit Analysis for 25 years and never knew anything about him. That book was written in the late 1940s and features a truly excellent semi-rigorous presentation of complex analysis. It also has some good chapters on matrix algebra, including things like simultaneous diagonalization of two matrices, although the notation and language is a little different than modern treatments.

Likes Astronuc, Stavros Kiri, Klystron and 1 other person
  • #3,836
TIL that I'm related to a Richard Nixon (England, 1700s), not the Richard M Nixon (37th President of US), whose Nixon ancestry goes back to Cappagh, Tyrone, Ireland. So I have to go back further, which is a challenge.

Likes rsk, jasonRF and Stavros Kiri
  • #3,837
Astronuc said:
TIL that I'm related to a Richard Nixon (England, 1700s), not the Richard M Nixon (37th President of US), whose Nixon ancestry goes back to Cappagh, Tyrone, Ireland. So I have to go back further, which is a challenge.
Have you tried using the LDS Geneology Records/Files? ... (It works - independent of religion)

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #3,838
Stavros Kiri said:
Have you tried using the LDS Geneology Records/Files? ... (It works - independent of religion)
Yes, that was one of the first databases I used. Since then though, I have used church records, government records and some historical publications from the 1800s.

Edit/update: I should add that I prefer to find independent sources. Sometimes, different online databases use the same original source, which may be incorrect. At least, that is what I found in my case. It's best to go to original archives, e.g., church records, or government census documents, or for recent family members, newspaper articles. Going back into the 1800s, or 1700s and earlier, church records, or family letters or documents, may be the only reliable source. I just happened to discover some old texts from the early 1800s, that I could cross-reference with other records for independent confirmation. Some churches were much better in records than others. I've also found spelling errors in various census documents.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and Stavros Kiri
  • #3,839
Astronuc said:
Yes, that was one of the first databases I used. Since then though, I have used church records, government records and some historical publications from the 1800s.
Combination of all available sources is always the best idea. Good luck in your research! ...

• #3,840
TIL the astonishingly beautiful musical movements incorporated by Stanley Kubrick into "A Clockwork Orange" were based on excerpts from "Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary" by Purcell. With all the emphasis on 'Ludwig van' in "Clockwork", I assumed Kubrick had adapted phrases from Beethoven.

Wanting to hear orchestral versions I sifted through Beethoven recordings, aurally searching for the distinctive phrases; surely in the glorious Ninth. While a great excuse to listen to Beethoven, the elusive piece escaped my searches. J.S. Bach, perhaps? Mozart?

IK, read the movie credits; but that felt like cheating. Luckily I watched a Polish movie about Native American exploitation that climaxed in a mock funeral featuring a rendition of the music I sought. The credits following that movie listed Purcell's "Funeral Music for Queen Mary". Case closed. I am listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony even as I type.

Last edited:
Likes rsk and BWV
  • #3,841
Klystron said:
TIL the astonishingly beautiful musical movements incorporated by Stanley Kubrick into "A Clockwork Orange" were based on excerpts from "Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary" by Purcell. With all the emphasis on 'Ludwig van' in "Clockwork", I assumed Kubrick had adapted phrases from Beethoven.

Wanting to hear orchestral versions I sifted through Beethoven recordings, aurally searching for the distinctive phrases; surely in the glorious Ninth. While a great excuse to listen to Beethoven, the elusive piece escaped my searches. J.S. Bach, perhaps? Mozart?

IK, read the movie credits; but that felt like cheating. Luckily I watched a Polish movie about Native American exploitation that climaxed in a mock funeral featuring a rendition of the music I sought. The credits following that movie listed Purcell's "Funeral Music for Queen Mary". Case closed. I am listening to the Beethoven's 9th Symphony even as I type.
Rossini's Thieving Magpie is also in the film

Likes Klystron
  • #3,842
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/politics/eviction-moratorium-house-vote/index.html
(CNN)An eviction moratorium for renters from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is on track to expire Saturday night, after the House of Representatives adjourned for August recess without passing an extension.
Democratic leaders scrambled throughout the day Friday to try and find enough votes to extend the moratorium beyond the July 31 deadline to no avail. Just after 6 p.m. ET on Friday, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer attempted to pass a bill to extend the eviction moratorium by unanimous consent, but it was rejected by Republicans. The House adjourned shortly thereafter. . .

The end of the moratorium could affect the estimated 11.4 million adult renters are behind on rent, https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-and-inequality/tracking-the-covid-19-recessions-effects-on-food-housing-and
Short of a miracle, it looks like the eviction ban will wear off this weekend.

The Supreme Court is unlikely to support a CDC extension of the ban, given Brett Kavanaugh's opinion on the last extension (essentially saying he was doing a one-time okay, given the short period of the extension). And Congress is tied up with infrastructure negotiations and will be out of session after next week until September - making a hearing and vote difficult.

Looks like August will see a lot of evictions. For those in badly COVID surging states, I feel for you.

• #3,843
TIL that Billie Eilish is only a few days older than me, but whilst she's won 7 Grammys and has a net worth in the millions, I didn't even have enough money in my account to buy a chicken wrap from Pret this morning. 😂

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian and pinball1970
  • #3,844
ergospherical said:
TIL that Billie Eilish is only a few days older than me, but whilst she's won 7 Grammys and has a net worth in the millions, I didn't even have enough money in my account to buy a chicken wrap from Pret this morning. 😂
Yeah, but you have a deeper appreciation of the physical world around you.

Likes pinball1970
  • #3,845

Don't know if this qualifies as something "I learned," but I thought this graphic was pretty neat!

• #3,846
Today I learned that the effectiveness of sticky fly-traps can be easily boosted...
... by sticking a piece of dry cat-food in the middle of the sheet.

o0)

Likes BillTre
  • #3,847
Rive said:
Today I learned that the effectiveness of sticky fly-traps can be easily boosted...
... by sticking a piece of dry cat-food in the middle of the sheet.

o0)
And then - what? ... the flies are attracted to the stuck cats?

1627927991501.png

• Haha
Likes Stavros Kiri, pinball1970, Bystander and 6 others
  • #3,848
DaveC426913 said:
flies are attracted to the stuck cats?
To get rid of a wasp nest in a tree, go out at night when they are asleep and put a piece of fish on the nest.

• Skeptical
Likes DaveE
  • #3,849
Keith_McClary said:
To get rid of a wasp nest in a tree, go out at night when they are asleep and put a piece of fish on the nest.
Because the wasps will stick around gorging themselves on the fish (and, bonus!, they'll leave you alone). Then after a while they'll figure out that they'll never make it onto the centerfold of PlayWasp magazine unless they start a diet. Eventually, and with great reluctance, they will depart and build a nest in a healthier location. Kind of like why I won't buy ice cream at the grocery?

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #3,850
DaveE said:
Because the wasps will stick around gorging themselves ...
No, it was meant to be a nasty trick to play on a cat.

Likes DaveE