Is Today's Date a Special One for Foreigners?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know why.In summary, the US uses the dd-mm-yy format for dates because it is more natural to say. This is because when it is sorted alphabetically, it also sorts chronologically. Some people object to yyyy-mm-dd because it can be confusing.
Jimmy Snyder
Or 12/11/11 for foreigners. Actually, I opened this thread for Russ who seems to need that extra push over the cliff. By the way, this won't happen again for another hundred years. Or next month if you're a foreigner.

Physics news on Phys.org
You anglosaxons are so lucky.

A whole quasi-palindromian month! :cry:

Out of curiousity, what is the reason for the day/month inversion for dates in the US?

dd-mm-yy seems ... really natural, mm-dd-yy is confusing!

Adyssa said:
Out of curiousity, what is the reason for the day/month inversion for dates in the US?

It goes all the way back to the battle at Stamford Bridge.
A story too long to tell.

Adyssa said:

yyyy-mm-dd makes the most sense since when it sorts alphabetically, it also sorts chronologically.

Jimmy Snyder said:
yyyy-mm-dd makes the most sense since when it sorts alphabetically, it also sorts chronologically.

I have no problem with yyyy-mm-dd nor dd-mm-yyyy, at times it is little bit confusing when it is dd-mm-yy or yy-mm-dd, what I was never able to understand was yy-dd-mm. This is something only WASPs could come with (and yes, I know it is a racist comment :tongue2:).

What abut dydymymy??

It is how we speak. Occasionally we will say things like "the fourth of July," but that is for emphasis and affectation. Generally we express dates as "July 4th" or "July 4" for short. For example, The Declaration of Independence starts with "IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776" rather than "IN CONGRESS, on the fourth day of July in the year of our Lord 1776."

D H said:
"IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776"

It makes sense to write how you say it, but it doesn't make sense to then convert a word into a number. For the benefit of my erstwhile US colleagues, I used to write, e.g., 12NOV90, thus eliminating ambiguity.

What makes sense is to open your eggs at the big end, yyyy-mm-dd. Big-endian is the principle adopted by the ISO standard dating system, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601" .

(Edit: I changed the example date, due to later comments observing that it is not unambiguous for some years of the century.)

Last edited by a moderator:
cmb said:
I used to write 12NOV11, thus eliminating ambiguity

Eliminating ambiguity?

Borek said:
Eliminating ambiguity?
There is no ambiguity regarding whether 11 identifies a day of the month versus a month if the rule is to name the month (in full or in abbreviated form) rather than to number it.

D H said:
There is no ambiguity regarding whether 11 identifies a day of the month versus a month if the rule is to name the month (in full or in abbreviated form) rather than to number it.
So, is today 11NOV12, or 12NOV11?

Jimmy Snyder said:
So, is today 11NOV12, or 12NOV11?
Fair point. But when I used to use this format, it was the 80's/90's, and I believe not many calendar months have more than 80 days. I use ISO8601 now, anyway.

I occasionally still write my birth date in this format, and as I am less than 70 years old, there is little ambiguity unless people were to believe I am a lot more than 100 years old.

The choices. The choices.
Pick a date style in MS Excel, and then an hour-minute second format for complete going mad-hatters.

I use the Julian Date myself. It's just a count of days since a time long ago when nothing in particular happened. Today's date (UT) is 2,455,878.5.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/JulianDate.php

It does upset people for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the significance of the date 11/12/11?

The date 11/12/11 is considered a "palindrome date" because it can be read the same way forwards and backwards. It is also the last repeating date until the year 2101.

Is there any scientific significance to the date 11/12/11?

No, the date 11/12/11 does not hold any scientific significance. It is simply a unique date that occurs once every century.

What is the significance of the numbers 11, 12, and 1 in the date 11/12/11?

The numbers 11, 12, and 1 do not have any specific significance in the date 11/12/11. They are simply the month, day, and year that the date falls on.

Is 11/12/11 a lucky date?

This is subjective and based on personal beliefs. Some people may consider it a lucky date due to its palindrome nature, while others may not see any significance in it.

Will there be any special events or celebrations on 11/12/11?

There are no known special events or celebrations specifically for 11/12/11. However, some people may choose to celebrate the unique date in their own way.