Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today is 11/12/11

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Or 12/11/11 for foreigners. Actually, I opened this thread for Russ who seems to need that extra push over the cliff. By the way, this won't happen again for another hundred years. Or next month if you're a foreigner.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You anglosaxons are so lucky.

A whole quasi-palindromian month! :cry:

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    Out of curiousity, what is the reason for the day/month inversion for dates in the US?

dd-mm-yy seems ... really natural, mm-dd-yy is confusing!

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It goes all the way back to the battle at Stamford Bridge.
    A story too long to tell.

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5
    yyyy-mm-dd makes the most sense since when it sorts alphabetically, it also sorts chronologically.

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have no problem with yyyy-mm-dd nor dd-mm-yyyy, at times it is little bit confusing when it is dd-mm-yy or yy-mm-dd, what I was never able to understand was yy-dd-mm. This is something only WASPs could come with (and yes, I know it is a racist comment :tongue2:).

8. Nov 12, 2011 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What abut dydymymy??

9. Nov 12, 2011 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is how we speak. Occasionally we will say things like "the fourth of July," but that is for emphasis and affectation. Generally we express dates as "July 4th" or "July 4" for short. For example, The Declaration of Independence starts with "IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776" rather than "IN CONGRESS, on the fourth day of July in the year of our Lord 1776."

10. Nov 12, 2011 #9

cmb

It makes sense to write how you say it, but it doesn't make sense to then convert a word into a number. For the benefit of my erstwhile US colleagues, I used to write, e.g., 12NOV90, thus eliminating ambiguity.

What makes sense is to open your eggs at the big end, yyyy-mm-dd. Big-endian is the principle adopted by the ISO standard dating system, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601" [Broken].

(Edit: I changed the example date, due to later comments observing that it is not unambiguous for some years of the century.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  11. Nov 12, 2011 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Eliminating ambiguity?

12. Nov 12, 2011 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no ambiguity regarding whether 11 identifies a day of the month versus a month if the rule is to name the month (in full or in abbreviated form) rather than to number it.

13. Nov 12, 2011 #12
    So, is today 11NOV12, or 12NOV11?

14. Nov 12, 2011 #13

cmb

Fair point. But when I used to use this format, it was the 80's/90's, and I believe not many calendar months have more than 80 days. I use ISO8601 now, anyway.

I occasionally still write my birth date in this format, and as I am less than 70 years old, there is little ambiguity unless people were to believe I am a lot more than 100 years old.

15. Nov 12, 2011 #14
    The choices. The choices.
    Pick a date style in MS Excel, and then an hour-minute second format for complete going mad-hatters.

16. Nov 13, 2011 #15
    I use the Julian Date myself. It's just a count of days since a time long ago when nothing in particular happened. Today's date (UT) is 2,455,878.5.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/JulianDate.php [Broken]

It does upset people for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook