Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tone Generator Connected To Speaker

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    First, let me just say that I am very new to electrical engineering. It is something that I started teaching myself mere months ago. So, basically, it is probably best that you guys assume I know nothing.

As I have expanded my knowledge, I have built some little things. For instance, an LED light, an electro-static (Van de Graaff) generator, a "brushless" DC motor, et cetera...

Most recently, I have been trying to make a little tone-generating circuit. I originally thought I could just connect an LC circuit to a speaker, and run a current through it. Upon researching why that did not work, I came across Hartley and Colpitts circuits, both of which used a transistor to keep the oscillations going.

So, I got a transistor. Still, no tone. I have tried numerous simple circuits that I have seen online. Any tones should have been within the audible range. Yet, I have heard none.

Thinking I might need to amplify the signal, I have tried connecting some of my circuits to the Line In on my computer, rather than directly to a speaker. Typically when connecting to Line In, I would get my power directly from one of my computer's 5V connectors. Such seemed easier than using a battery.

Basically, I was wondering if you guys could show me a circuit that should work. Maybe then I can figure out what I am doing wrong...

I currently have two capacitors of 10 µF each and one that is 470 µF. My three inductors are each 100 µH. I also have an MPS2222A transistor and a plethora of 1/4 W resistors.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

I have a small circuit which makes a surprising level of noise in a speaker.

It needs an NPN and a PNP transistor and this means you have to be careful about which leads go where.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/NPN%20PNP%20OSC.PNG [Broken]

This has the waveform shown, so it sounds a bit rough, but it will certainly make some noise. It runs off a 1.5 volt battery and is OK for such things as a door buzzer.
    The speaker is shown as an 8 ohm resistor in the circuit.
    As it stands, it would oscillate at about 140 Hz, but this could be changed by varying the 100 K and the 0.1 uF capacitor.

It is possible that your oscillator was not oscillating. An LC oscillator has to have components whose reactances were carefully selected.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook