Top Interview Tips for Nailing Your Next Job - Expert Advice and Strategies"

In summary, In my experience, when an employer schedules an interview they REALLY want to hire you. I have heard my supervisors and others feel upset when they extend job offers and it is not taken or when the interview doesn't work out. So realize the people interviewing you want you to do well.
_N3WTON_
Hello all, I am making this thread because I have just bombed yet another job interview (for a job I very much wanted) so I want to ask for some advice. First, I should say my qualifications (IMO) are very good, I double major in MechE and Mathematics at a prominent university and hold a 3.8 GPA. However, when it comes to job interviews I am just terrible. I always come prepared and if I get asked a question I prepared for I do reasonably well, but for questions I haven't prepared for I usually sound like a rambling idiot. I tend to get anxious and I think the anxiety comes out in my voice. I was hoping someone could give me some interview tips. Also, the tip everyone usually gives is relax; however, this is much easier said than done. Also, is it possible that an employer would overlook a bad interview because the candidate has excellent qualifications? Thanks for any advice/tips

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes some employers will look beyond the interview or they may schedule a second one if they are unsure. It's usually a commitee like decision with the hiring manager ultimately deciding things.

For some jobs you may go thru a battery of interviews and they will collect everything learned and say yay or nay. The hiring manager thinks about you would fit in with team and makes the call.

One way to get over interview anxiety is to journal down your fears and thoughts a few minutes before the interview. During the interview don't just sit there and the interviewer run the show. You must start a dialog ask questions about the job and the work environment. Imagine you work there already ask him/her toshow you around. During the conversation look for where you can inject your ideas about helping the company succeed.

Last edited:
In my experience, when an employer schedules an interview they REALLY want to hire you. I have heard my supervisors and others feel upset when they extend job offers and it is not taken or when the interview doesn't work out. So realize the people interviewing you want you to do well.

I think not being able to answer questions you haven't prepared for is a serious hindrance. First off, if you can only answer questions you have reviewed prior, it may sounds like you have memorized an answer rather than answered truthfully. I recall an interview where the first question asked was "How many gold balls do you think can fit in this room. Give me a number and your justification." How do you prepare for something like that? Granted being nervous makes things worse, but I think you have to focus on interacting with people rather than memorizing answers, if that is what you are doing. And quite frankly, if I was interviewing someone and saw they had a really high GPA but sounded "scripted" when they answered my questions, I would suspect they studied for the test rather than learned the material.

jedishrfu said:
Yes some employers will look beyond the interview or they may schedule a second one if they are unsure. It's usually a commitee like decision with the hiring manager ultimately deciding things.

For some jobs you may go thru a battery of interviews and they will collect everything learned and say yay or nay. The hiring manager thinks about you would fit in with team and makes the call.

One way to get over interview anxiety is to journal down your fears and thoughts a few minutes before the interview. During the interview don't just sit there and the interviewer run the show. You must start a dialog ask questions about the job and the work environment. Imagine you work there already ask him/her toshow you around. During the conversation look for where you can inject your ideas about helping the company succeed.
For the job I just interviewed for I find out tomorrow if I will be asked back for a second interview, but I am not holding out much hope. One of my biggest problems is I sometimes freeze during an interview. Do you think it would be allowable to bring a notepad so I can take notes and also so I can check my script?

HuskyNamedNala said:
In my experience, when an employer schedules an interview they REALLY want to hire you. I have heard my supervisors and others feel upset when they extend job offers and it is not taken or when the interview doesn't work out. So realize the people interviewing you want you to do well.

I think not being able to answer questions you haven't prepared for is a serious hindrance. First off, if you can only answer questions you have reviewed prior, it may sounds like you have memorized an answer rather than answered truthfully. I recall an interview where the first question asked was "How many gold balls do you think can fit in this room. Give me a number and your justification." How do you prepare for something like that? Granted being nervous makes things worse, but I think you have to focus on interacting with people rather than memorizing answers, if that is what you are doing. And quite frankly, if I was interviewing someone and saw they had a really high GPA but sounded "scripted" when they answered my questions, I would suspect they studied for the test rather than learned the material.
Personally, I do much better on the Google style questions (golf balls in a room), I struggle with questions about "soft skills"..

_N3WTON_ said:
For the job I just interviewed for I find out tomorrow if I will be asked back for a second interview, but I am not holding out much hope. One of my biggest problems is I sometimes freeze during an interview. Do you think it would be allowable to bring a notepad so I can take notes and also so I can check my script?
Also, just because I memorized an answer doesn't mean I'm not being truthful, right?

Thanks for the advice so far

No, memorizing an answer is bad. You should know the answer without having to have it written down in front of you. What are you going to do when you are tasked with calling a client/vendor/etc? Write down an anticipatory script of how the conversation will go?

HuskyNamedNala said:
No, memorizing an answer is bad. You should know the answer without having to have it written down in front of you. What are you going to do when you are tasked with calling a client/vendor/etc? Write down an anticipatory script of how the conversation will go?
Ok, Thank you for the advice. Your answer sort of surprises me, can I ask how you typically prepare for an interview?

Make it a dialog, interview the interviewer. After all you're not desperate for the job and you want to know if you'll like the place.

You have to change your mindset. You're not a student visiting a professor. Don't sit there without asking questions? If they give a problem to ponder ask questions as you think thru it. They're really looking for the one who can express their thinking verbally and if you're on the right track the interviewer will often help it along. In the end, if you don't get ask the interviewer to explain it for future experience.

The interviewer is a peer who's looking to buy something and you're looking to sell something.

Don't forget to get emails and send thankyou notes where you can once again mention how you can help the company succeed.

Likes donpacino
To prepare for an interview look at your resume and job application. What did you say? Where are the gaps? the Interviewer will look for these and ask about them.

If you say you worked on some project then have a simple one line description of it. Be prepared though if its a team project to clearly delineate what the team did "big picture" and what you did.

If they ask about the toughest thing you've done have an answer it doesn't have to be the toughest only the one with a simple and short one-line explanation.

Basically, tell them what they want to hear, no more no less. Try to limit questions as a goal. Ask questions yourself to break the oneway interview process.

Last edited:
_N3WTON_ said:
Ok, Thank you for the advice. Your answer sort of surprises me, can I ask how you typically prepare for an interview?

You know it is funny, I never had any direct preparation. Yes, it is always important to familiarize yourself with the company and your job. To that effect I looked on websites like glassdoor, spoke with friends who are familiar with the company, read through the website, looked through news articles, etc. I also prepared a set of questions (which I did bring in) that were generally interesting to me and relevant to my job description.

But as for actual practicing, I got a lot of this along the way when I was looking for jobs. Rather that apply online I made calls to companies. If it was a small company I made a point to contact the CEO or somebody high up and express my interest in their work. Yes, it was frustrating and I did screw up a few times, but I also made some good contacts and met some great people. I spoke with one CEO for an hour (his company has grown considerably and he is now a director of one division) and a director who was working to start an airliner repair facility in northern New York. Almost all of the employeers were honest with me. If they didn't have a position, they let me know on the spot, if they were interested they gave me their email and asked me to send them a resume. Ultimately I ended up working for a large company. Not my first choice but I had been unemployed a long time and I did not want to stay with my family. I learned a lot by taking that initiative.

_N3WTON_ said:
Speaking for myself, my preparation in the past has been trying to find out what the company (or research group) does and identifying points I want to have clarified in the interview. I don't really prepare presenting myself or my previous work since I usually feel confident enough about both topics to present them without preparation.

(btw., since HuskyHamedLala mentioned it in the form of a rhetorical question: I do write down important points I want to have clarified before calling a client, project partner or sometimes even colleagues)

There is nothing wrong with bringing a pad and paper. no will fault you in any way for that.
The key to a good interview is to make a connection. Make that person want to work with you.

Make sure you know what you are talking about. know your resume and every single detail about it. don't say you understand a subject if you barely understand it.
Like others have said the key is confidence. You want to go in there, figure out what is required of someone who works that job, then prove you fit (or redefine) that mold.

Maybe if you have a clear idea of how you fit into the company you are being interviewed for, and what you can do for them (and hopefully be able to communicate it to them), you may be able to feel more at ease, more confident , in the interview.

1. Practice. Sit down with a friend and have that person ask you some questions. Most of your education will have focused on allowing you to arrive at a correct answer when presented with a problem, but it's rare that you spend much time figuring out the verbal articulation of that answer. To do this you need to practice, and ideally practice with feedback so that someone can tell you if your message is getting across.
  2. Spend time thinking about possible questions and points that you can use to respond to them. I have been on the other side of the interview table dozens of times now and often I'm surprised at how little prepared people are for very common questions such as:
    - What do you know about this company/position?
    - Why do you think you will be a good fit with us?/ Why do you want to work here?
    - What are some examples of experience you have that's relevant to the position?
    - What do you know about the field?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years?
  3. It's okay to be nervous. Everyone gets nervous when they are being evaluated and this is a sign that you want the position. Practice can help to mitigate your nerves. For some people, breathing exercises or positive visualization can help too. Also, your interviewers will expect a little nervousness and in general they are willing to forgive some of it.
  4. You mentioned bringing in a pad of paper. I would also bring in documents that summarize relevant projects that you've completed and are particularly proud of (a professional portfolio). These can give you visual aids if you just want to show something and serve as cue's for further discussion. These days this can be done electronically as well. I would highly recommend a tablet that can be opened/turned on quickly if you go the electronic route. I've been in interviews where candidates have pulled out cell phones to show us things, but I would strongly avoid this because (i) the display is often too small to really show much of anything and (ii) you're pulling out a cell phone in the middle of an interview.
  5. Prepare questions to ask the interviewer. All interviews should be a two-way street. You have to decide if this is the right position for you as well. If you have a list of questions prepared, you won't fumble around when they pass the ball to you. If they have answered them and you haven't thought of new ones, you can ask them to expand. Or, you can ask an open ended-question such as what advice they might have for someone starting in that position.
  6. Follow-up. Usually a follow up email within 24 hours of the interview is appropriate. Thank them for the interview and let them know that you're available for any further questions.
  7. Interviews are generally not the best moments to make personal statements about wardrobe or personal style. Researching the company's dress policy can help with this. But it's not uncommon for people to lose out on positions because they wore the wrong shoes or whatever. (I'm not saying I support this idea necessarily, just relaying that it happens).

jedishrfu said:
You have to change your mindset. You're not a student visiting a professor. Don't sit there without asking questions? If they give a problem to ponder ask questions as you think thru it. They're really looking for the one who can express their thinking verbally and if you're on the right track the interviewer will often help it along. In the end, if you don't get ask the interviewer to explain it for future experience.
I always ask questions at the "end" of the interview, but you're saying I should be asking throughout the entire process?

Likes Mark Harder
Choppy said:
  1. Practice. Sit down with a friend and have that person ask you some questions. Most of your education will have focused on allowing you to arrive at a correct answer when presented with a problem, but it's rare that you spend much time figuring out the verbal articulation of that answer. To do this you need to practice, and ideally practice with feedback so that someone can tell you if your message is getting across.
  2. Spend time thinking about possible questions and points that you can use to respond to them. I have been on the other side of the interview table dozens of times now and often I'm surprised at how little prepared people are for very common questions such as:
    - What do you know about this company/position?
    - Why do you think you will be a good fit with us?/ Why do you want to work here?
    - What are some examples of experience you have that's relevant to the position?
    - What do you know about the field?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years?
  3. It's okay to be nervous. Everyone gets nervous when they are being evaluated and this is a sign that you want the position. Practice can help to mitigate your nerves. For some people, breathing exercises or positive visualization can help too. Also, your interviewers will expect a little nervousness and in general they are willing to forgive some of it.
  4. You mentioned bringing in a pad of paper. I would also bring in documents that summarize relevant projects that you've completed and are particularly proud of (a professional portfolio). These can give you visual aids if you just want to show something and serve as cue's for further discussion. These days this can be done electronically as well. I would highly recommend a tablet that can be opened/turned on quickly if you go the electronic route. I've been in interviews where candidates have pulled out cell phones to show us things, but I would strongly avoid this because (i) the display is often too small to really show much of anything and (ii) you're pulling out a cell phone in the middle of an interview.
  5. Prepare questions to ask the interviewer. All interviews should be a two-way street. You have to decide if this is the right position for you as well. If you have a list of questions prepared, you won't fumble around when they pass the ball to you. If they have answered them and you haven't thought of new ones, you can ask them to expand. Or, you can ask an open ended-question such as what advice they might have for someone starting in that position.
  6. Follow-up. Usually a follow up email within 24 hours of the interview is appropriate. Thank them for the interview and let them know that you're available for any further questions.
  7. Interviews are generally not the best moments to make personal statements about wardrobe or personal style. Researching the company's dress policy can help with this. But it's not uncommon for people to lose out on positions because they wore the wrong shoes or whatever. (I'm not saying I support this idea necessarily, just relaying that it happens).
Thank you, much of this stuff I already do. However, like I said I stumble around questions that I haven't prepared for. For instance, I was asked a question and took about 30 seconds to figure out how I wanted to respond, to me this is a defeat (I feel like I should be able to answer right away) but maybe I'm just being too critical?

Yes, you can ask at any time. Just don't ask too many make it an interactive dialog. Usually the interviewer will start with a brief introduction of the company and the job and then Segway into asking you some questions. During that time, listen and come up with thoughtful questions based on what he/she said and what you already know about the company and its mission.

From there, it will be a give and take. You can take notes but remember not to zone out as you're taking the note down keeping focused and listening at all times. Interviewers pickup on these things, what you say and how you say it. It's a subjective process but that's the way it's done. It's really about seeing how well the candidate will fit in with the team ie do your skills strengthen the team or might you compete with the team.

One trick I used to do in grade school was someone would tell me some math problem and I'd say why do you want to know this. While they were answering I would compute it and blurt out the answer. They thought I did it so fast but their answer gave me some time to figure it out.

Try solving the problem out loud and ask a couple of questions, the interviewer may give you some hints. You'll get points for your thinking process even if you don't solve it.

One of my favorite movies is the Internship with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilsson where they fake their way into google using their salesmanship skills. It's pretty preposterous but funny..

Likes PWiz
jedishrfu said:
One trick I used to do in grade school was someone would tell me some math problem and I'd say why do you want to know this. While they were answering I would compute it and blurt out the answer. They thought I did it so fast but their answer gave me some time to figure it out.

Try solving the problem out loud and ask a couple of questions, the interviewer may give you some hints. You'll get points for your thinking process even if you don't solve it.

One of my favorite movies is the Internship with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilsson where they fake their way into google using their salesmanship skills. It's pretty preposterous but funny..
Yeah, I actually feel pretty solid when it comes to solving problems during the interview. For this last one I was asked to find a taylor series and determine two probabilities given [itex] P(A \cap B) \hspace{2 mm} and \hspace{2 mm} P(A \cup B) [/itex]. Nothing to crazy, and I felt like I was in my element when solving them. However, for questions like "Talk about a time when you had a disagreement with a member of team you were working in" I just didn't have a good answer and ended up sounded like a tyrant lol. Also, I've seen the movie, its funny. Some of the lines they have about being small enough to fit into a blender are classic.

The team member problems are the key ones for that interviewer if asked. Never describe a really bad incident. Talk about one the had a good outcome perhaps a misunderstanding between you and another student that worked out well in the end.

Stories are funny and the key is how they end. One story we were told was you're driving down the road and someone throws a rock at your car. You stop real angry.

Not a good place to stop.

However a moment later,l you discover that the person has just been in a severe crash and is signaling for help.

A better ending...

Basically end on an upbeat.

_N3WTON_ said:
Thank you, much of this stuff I already do. However, like I said I stumble around questions that I haven't prepared for. For instance, I was asked a question and took about 30 seconds to figure out how I wanted to respond, to me this is a defeat (I feel like I should be able to answer right away) but maybe I'm just being too critical?

It's hard to say without context. In a job interview 30 seconds of silence is not good. 30 seconds of you saying "That's an interesting question. The major issues at play would be this, than and the other thing, and my priorities would lie with A and B, although I can understand how I might get pressure from C..." and then coming up with a concrete answer is generally a lot better.

Choppy said:
It's hard to say without context. In a job interview 30 seconds of silence is not good. 30 seconds of you saying "That's an interesting question. The major issues at play would be this, than and the other thing, and my priorities would lie with A and B, although I can understand how I might get pressure from C..." and then coming up with a concrete answer is generally a lot better.
Awesome, I appreciate the advice

I have one more question. When I was interviewed Wednesday, I was told I would know the next day whether or not I was going to be asked back for a second interview or if I was not. Yesterday we got about a foot of snow so I didn't expect to here anything, but I've still not heard anything, should I email my interviewer? Do most company's let you know either way, meaning if you were selected and if you were not selected?

_N3WTON_ said:
I have one more question. When I was interviewed Wednesday, I was told I would know the next day whether or not I was going to be asked back for a second interview or if I was not. Yesterday we got about a foot of snow so I didn't expect to here anything, but I've still not heard anything, should I email my interviewer? Do most company's let you know either way, meaning if you were selected and if you were not selected?

some companies will not send you a yes or no until the job requisition has been filled. They do this in case other people turn down the offer and they then want to extend it to you later.

That being said there is a good chance that is not the case. With the snow it is entirely possible they had a build of of required activities. It would not hurt to email them, asking them what you asked us. As long as you are respectful I cannot see any harm coming from your question.

donpacino said:
some companies will not send you a yes or no until the job requisition has been filled. They do this in case other people turn down the offer and they then want to extend it to you later.

That being said there is a good chance that is not the case. With the snow it is entirely possible they had a build of of required activities. It would not hurt to email them, asking them what you asked us. As long as you are respectful I cannot see any harm coming from your question.
Great, thank you!

_N3WTON_ said:
I always ask questions at the "end" of the interview, but you're saying I should be asking throughout the entire process?

Quite often they will ask you if you have any questions, usually after they are finished with theirs. But if you don't understand something they say, don't just sit there pretending you do. Give it some thought and ask a polite, thoughtful question. This is behavior expected on the job. They don't want charlatans, or at least they shouldn't, and if they know what they're doing they will spot your uncertainty and expect a thoughtful response.

Always remember that it's a buyer's market now. They will probably have a long short-list, so their decision to invite you for a 2nd interview may depend on a gut feeling or might be as simple as where your name appears on that list. You may very well be highly qualified, but arbitrary factors ruled you out. Some of these arbitrary factors won't even make sense if you found out what they are. I once applied for a technical writer position in a large electronics firm. They had me take an aptitude test that included things like describing in words only how to peel and core an apple. I thought I did OK, but didn't get the job. The interviewer, who worked for an HR contractor, took the the trouble to explain that her client would not hire any engineers, scientists or English majors! She seemed to be as bemused as I. One wonders what background would have satisfied them. But then, have you read any user manuals lately...
Another factor out of your control may be that they already know who they want, but affirmative-action rules require that they advertise and interview some minimum number of applicants. I don't know if this unfair practice is as common as back in my day. If it is, one clue to be found in the job announcement is its list of qualifications that wouldn't be met by anyone applicant. That's just the point. They can always justify their decision to hire their favorite with the explanation that no other candidate met their (impossible) requirements.
Point being, it's possible to over-think the problem. If you think the interview went well, yet neither you nor experienced friends can understand why, the answer may be that HR's decision-making process is arcane, even nonsensical, and there was nothing you could have done about it. You can't change yourself in that case, and you shouldn't try. Just move on. It was bad luck , nothing more.

Last edited:
I can say as someone who interviews quite a few recent graduates, I already have a good idea who my favorites are based on resumes are before I actually meet anyone. I generally split my interview into three parts.

1. Cover Resume and mentally prepare questions for the next part.
2. Ask technical questions relating to their resume to validate experience.
3. Ask technical questions relating to the actual job to see if they would be good fit.

My general goal is simply to find someone who was truthful on their resume, has a good background, and will be able to learn the job at their new role. What are my deciding factors?

1. Knowledge base. I don't actually care to much if someone gets the answer right. I just want them heading to the right direction and making good judgments. Would it be cool if someone gives me the right answer? Of course, but I prefer someone who has a good thought process over someone just happen to know the right answer.
2. Likability. The fact of the matter is that I have to work with you for a long time after you are hired. I want someone I like as a person and who I can communicate with easily. I interview a lot of SMART people, who I would consider smarter than I am, however, that won't land you a job at my company. You need to be smart but also play well with others. A lot of my job is relating data to non technical people, that requires an ability to switch off the jargon and get out the ABC coloring book.
3. A real interest in the work we do here. I'm passionate about the work we do, and feel that we are improving our customer's lives while improving my company's profits. You don't have to be really into my company per se, but the work we do. Data science is, to me, the greatest job out there. I want someone who will, on their own time, learn new techniques, research, and think of clever new ways to find insight just because they think it is fun.

If during the interview you demonstrate all three to me, i'll hand you off to my boss. After that, my boss and I will get together with a third person and argue for who we like and pick for there. There has been people I wanted who didn't get selected because my boss liked someone else, but I can only remember that twice. In both cases, I recommended them for a different position in a related division.*I work for a fortune 20 company, so it's a rather large company. On average we get 1k+ application per position. By the time HR filters reach us, we still need to interview 100 people. Even if you are exceptional, the odds are stacked against you by sheer number, so I wouldn't feel to bad if you are not offered a position.

Likes _N3WTON_, Locrian and jedishrfu
Mark Harder said:
Always remember that it's a buyer's market now. They will probably have a long short-list, so their decision to invite you for a 2nd interview may depend on a gut feeling or might be as simple as where your name appears on that list. You may very well be highly qualified, but arbitrary factors ruled you out. Some of these arbitrary factors won't even make sense if you found out what they are. I once applied for a technical writer position in a large electronics firm. They had me take an aptitude test that included things like describing in words only how to peel and core an apple. I thought I did OK, but didn't get the job. The interviewer, who worked for an HR contractor, took the the trouble to explain that her client would not hire any engineers, scientists or English majors! She seemed to be as bemused as I. One wonders what background would have satisfied them. But then, have you read any user manuals lately...
Another factor out of your control may be that they already know who they want, but affirmative-action rules require that they advertise and interview some minimum number of applicants. I don't know if this unfair practice is as common as back in my day. If it is, one clue to be found in the job announcement is its list of qualifications that wouldn't be met by anyone applicant. That's just the point. They can always justify their decision to hire their favorite with the explanation that no other candidate met their (impossible) requirements.
Point being, it's possible to over-think the problem. If you think the interview went well, yet neither you nor experienced friends can understand why, the answer may be that HR's decision-making process is arcane, even nonsensical, and there was nothing you could have done about it. You can't change yourself in that case, and you shouldn't try. Just move on. It was bad luck , nothing more.
Thanks for your response. As I expected, I did not get asked back for a second interview. Although I did desire the internship, I'm trying not to get too upset because I still have a few applications out for internships that I'd prefer. One thing that I am a little perplexed about is that the interviewer made it very clear that all interviewees would be told whether or not they were being asked back for a second interview, but I have still not heard anything, even after politely emailing the interviewer. To me it seems unprofessional, but maybe it is common practice?

Still send a thank you and ask to be considered for any future internships. Maybe even ask them what courses would be helpful the next time around. Basically keep a dialog going as sometimes people drop out and you could be considered next.

_N3WTON_ said:
One thing that I am a little perplexed about is that the interviewer made it very clear that all interviewees would be told whether or not they were being asked back for a second interview, but I have still not heard anything, even after politely emailing the interviewer. To me it seems unprofessional, but maybe it is common practice?

If you were chosen you would have been notified by now, but if you have not not heard anything either way and they said they would do so, then you may not have been finally rejected yet. They may be holding on to your materials, as someone else here suggested, because they don't have a definite commitment from another candidate to whom they offered the position. Or they may not have had the time to call you back yet. Or they don't typically care enough to respond, even to send a form-letter email to you and all the other rejectees. That's the norm these days. Time is money and they won't take the time to send negative letters, which may number in the thousands. Yes, the new norm is rude. That said, I think you wouldn't be out of line to wire them again in a few days, thank them again and ask for an update.

My action item is to keep on sending out new applications, every day if possible. Don't waste any time sitting by the phone waiting for your prince to come. Also, you need to know that sending applications, other things being equal, is not the most likely method to succeed. Number one method is building personal contacts through networking. Go to conferences and job fairs. Let everyone who'll listen that you're searching. If you think you may have struck up a rapport with someone and they show any interest in your search, background, where you want to go, etc., then let them know and ask them if they have any recommendations. They may know someone who's been looking around for a candidate. If so, ask your new acquaintance if you can mention their name when you contact the person they suggest. You should also show an interest in them, particularly if they are in the same boat as you; and offer any help you can. When you phone or write your new prospect, they will be reluctant to insult you knowing that you have the ear of their friend or colleague. This is exactly what you want - you will have a strong leg up when they remember (fondly, one hopes) your intermediary. It's just human nature. Face-to-face contact will always be a more influential search mode than meeting you via a bunch of bytes. Another advantage of building personal relationships is that they work in real time, so to speak. They will cut to the chase. If you make a favorable impression on such a prospect, you most likely will be asked to submit your materials directly to him or his secretary. When you chat it up with anyone helpful, remember to take their business card or information so you can write them and tell them how much you enjoyed your chat and appreciate their help. Who knows? They might run across the very same prospect they recommended at a faculty meeting, or whatever, the next day with your creds fresh on their mind. For most folks making face-to-face contact like this is a little daunting. My reluctance to put myself out there in person was probably my greatest weakness when I was looking for work. You got to practice and learn new social skills if that's what you need. Never ventured nothing gained, blah, blah...

Mark Harder said:
If you were chosen you would have been notified by now, but if you have not not heard anything either way and they said they would do so, then you may not have been finally rejected yet. They may be holding on to your materials, as someone else here suggested, because they don't have a definite commitment from another candidate to whom they offered the position. Or they may not have had the time to call you back yet. Or they don't typically care enough to respond, even to send a form-letter email to you and all the other rejectees. That's the norm these days. Time is money and they won't take the time to send negative letters, which may number in the thousands. Yes, the new norm is rude. That said, I think you wouldn't be out of line to wire them again in a few days, thank them again and ask for an update.

My action item is to keep on sending out new applications, every day if possible. Don't waste any time sitting by the phone waiting for your prince to come. Also, you need to know that sending applications, other things being equal, is not the most likely method to succeed. Number one method is building personal contacts through networking. Go to conferences and job fairs. Let everyone who'll listen that you're searching. If you think you may have struck up a rapport with someone and they show any interest in your search, background, where you want to go, etc., then let them know and ask them if they have any recommendations. They may know someone who's been looking around for a candidate. If so, ask your new acquaintance if you can mention their name when you contact the person they suggest. You should also show an interest in them, particularly if they are in the same boat as you; and offer any help you can. When you phone or write your new prospect, they will be reluctant to insult you knowing that you have the ear of their friend or colleague. This is exactly what you want - you will have a strong leg up when they remember (fondly, one hopes) your intermediary. It's just human nature. Face-to-face contact will always be a more influential search mode than meeting you via a bunch of bytes. Another advantage of building personal relationships is that they work in real time, so to speak. They will cut to the chase. If you make a favorable impression on such a prospect, you most likely will be asked to submit your materials directly to him or his secretary. When you chat it up with anyone helpful, remember to take their business card or information so you can write them and tell them how much you enjoyed your chat and appreciate their help. Who knows? They might run across the very same prospect they recommended at a faculty meeting, or whatever, the next day with your creds fresh on their mind. For most folks making face-to-face contact like this is a little daunting. My reluctance to put myself out there in person was probably my greatest weakness when I was looking for work. You got to practice and learn new social skills if that's what you need. Never ventured nothing gained, blah, blah...
Thanks again. I definitely need to work on my networking skills. In fact, a few of my friends from class have found internships mostly because of who they know (neighbor works for the company, father is the CFO, etc.) Some of that may be luck more than networking, but I suppose you need a mix of both in order to succeed :)

I won't write a book chapter this time ;-) . But yes, if you don't have the sort of contacts your friends have, you need to network. If you do have contacts like them, you might try practicing on the contacts (with their permission of course).