Top Quark Production in p-p Collisions

• I
  • Thread starter Avogadro Number
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quark
In summary, the channels available for a fermion, f, in a p-p collision where we look at u ubar → γ → f fbar depend on the collision energy. If there is sufficient energy, all quarks except neutrinos are possible. In a similar process where the γ is replaced by the Z0 boson, the book by Kane only considers f to be all except the top quark, but this is only for a particular machine where t tbar is not kinematically accessible. Neither of these processes would be the dominant mode of t tbar production at the LHC. The latest edition of Kane's book is a few years old.
Avogadro Number
Hi,

In a p-p collision, where a we look at u ubar → γ → f fbar, where f is a fermion,
what channels are available for f? Is f also allowed to be the top quark?
In an analogous process where the γ is replaced for example by the Z0 boson,
the book by Kane takes f to be all except the top quark.
Could someone please clarify this for me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the collision energy. With sufficient energy (e.g. at the LHC) all quarks are possible. The book might look at a particular machine with a lower energy.

Avogadro Number said:
In a p-p collision, where a we look at u ubar → γ → f fbar, where f is a fermion,
what channels are available for f? Is f also allowed to be the top quark?
Any channel that is energetically allowed where ##f## carries electric charge is allowed. In other words, if you have sufficient energy, everything except neutrinos (which do not carry electric charge).

Avogadro Number said:
In an analogous process where the γ is replaced for example by the Z0 boson,
the book by Kane takes f to be all except the top quark.
As stated in #2, the only reason to do this is to look at a particular machine where ##t\bar t## is not kinematically accessible.

Neither of those processes would be the dominant mode of ##t\bar t## production at (e.g.) the LHC as ##t\bar t## production can occur through strong interactions.

Are you looking at the first or second edition of Kane's book? There are some 25 years of intensive research separating the two editions.

I see. This helps me follow! I was looking at the latest edition, but I suppose even that is probably a few years old now. Thanks again!

1. What is the top quark and why is its production in p-p collisions important?

The top quark is the heaviest known elementary particle, with a mass of approximately 173 GeV. Its production in p-p collisions is important because it allows us to study the properties of the top quark and test the predictions of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How is the top quark produced in p-p collisions?

The top quark is produced in p-p collisions through the strong interaction between quarks. This can happen through two main processes: gluon-gluon fusion and quark-antiquark annihilation.

3. What is the significance of studying top quark production at different collision energies?

Studying top quark production at different collision energies allows us to test the predictions of the Standard Model and search for new physics beyond it. It also helps us understand the behavior of the strong force at high energies.

4. How do scientists detect and measure top quarks in p-p collisions?

Scientists use large particle detectors, such as the CMS and ATLAS detectors at the Large Hadron Collider, to detect and measure the properties of top quarks. These detectors can measure the energy and momentum of particles produced in collisions, allowing us to identify top quarks based on their unique signatures.

5. What are the current theories and predictions for top quark production in p-p collisions?

The Standard Model predicts the production of top quarks in p-p collisions, and its predictions have been confirmed by experiments. However, there are also theories beyond the Standard Model that predict different production rates and properties of top quarks. Ongoing experiments, such as those at the Large Hadron Collider, are searching for evidence of these new theories.