Top speed on a windy conditions.

In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:Based on this conversation, an old car with a small engine and a low aerodynamic coefficient would only be able to go up to around 120 kilometers per hour when driving on a level road. If there is a head wind, then the car would only be able to go up to around 115 kilometers per hour.
Lsos said:
...I guess you did do some proper tests then!....You are right that engine power is measured at the clutch. However, the drivetrain losses are NOT included in the rolling resistance...

Good evening, Lsos.

I know what you mean, but I used an empirical methos of getting the rolling resistance. It was 2 or 3 years ago, now I do not remember the calculations nor numbers, but, anyway, what I did:

On a no wind conditions and a leveled road, driving at 45/50 kms/hr in the 4th gear I step down the clutch pedal keeping the 4th gear engaged. The car then slows down and I start my timer just when the speed is 40km/h. Car keeps going decreasing speed and then I stop the timer just when my velocity is 15 km/hr. I did this several times back and forward to have a good average in case of slight wind or road slope I would not had noticed. I also logged the lap-times of 35,30,25 and 20 km/hr passing-by in order to get a better model.

So according to the time of decelerating from 40 down to 15 km/h and suppresing the small drag interference, I figured out my mean rolling resistance between 15 and 40 km/hr.

What I guess is that if I had the 4th gear engaged all the time I accounted the 4th gearbox rolling resistance as well, did I not?.

I probably made some mistakes, mainly because I was conscious that a slight deviation would not cause large errors in the final calculations. But everything is subject to be improved.

I want to thank you very much your help in this issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
SystemTheory said:
...Just to confirm my initial understanding I would multiply to get G3 = 4.125*1.786 = 7.367 in third gear, and G4 = 4.125*1.316 = 5.429 in fourth gear.

I think you are right. Those would be the final relationships between the engine crankshaft and the traction wheels.

SystemTheory said:
... It is not clear to me how to find the tire radius for 135 tyres, so if you can clear that up it's one less thing to google.

Upsss !, what I have just done is going down to my garage and have the actual distance between the center of the wheel and the floor. It is 28 cms for a 1,8 bar tyre pressure.

(Now I start of thinking this tiny and basic car does not deserve so many calculations !, but I like it)

Thanks again, ST.

SystemTheory said:
It is not clear to me how to find the tire radius for 135 tyres.
What you want is the effective radius. Determining the effective circumference can be done directly by putting a thin strip of water on the pavement between the tires (so that only the front or rear tires roll over the strip), then going forward or backwards and measuring the distance between the wet stripes the tire leaves behind.

What you want is the effective radius. Determining the effective circumference can be done directly by putting a thin strip of water on the pavement between the tires (so that only the front or rear tires roll over the strip), then going forward or backwards and measuring the distance between the wet stripes the tire leaves behind.

You mean the tire circumference? On the R/C boards they calculate the rollout but I don't use it in my models. In this case we're only looking at top speed equilibrium, so driveline intertia is neglected. The best case force at the drive axle as a function of velocity is then approximately:

F(v) = G*(T/r)

where G is the overal gear ratio, T is the torque-speed curve, and r is the tire radius. I plug this into plot F(v) in kilometer per hour for each gear and we'll compare to the Newton's of drag force on the nose of the car to estimate the equilibrium speeds.

(Now I start of thinking this tiny and basic car does not deserve so many calculations !, but I like it)

I'm working on educational modules to solve interesting differential equations using case study and reasoning by analogy. My website is still in the idea phase but I might want to use your better than average data to illustrate gearbox design in an Internal Combustion Engine car. I've already done some models for 1/10 scale electric and the Tesla Roadster, single speed gearbox cars.

Last edited:
Jeff Reid said:
Determining the effective circumference can be done directly by putting a thin strip of water on the pavement between the tires (so that only the front or rear tires roll over the strip), then going forward or backwards and measuring the distance between the wet stripes the tire leaves behind.

SystemTheory said:
You mean the tire circumference?
The effective tire circumference. Due to deformation at the contact patch, the effective circumference is a bit less than the unloaded tire circumference, and the water strip measurement is an easy way to determine the effective circumference.

Jeff Reid said:
The effective tire circumference. Due to deformation at the contact patch, the effective circumference is a bit less than the unloaded tire circumference, and the water strip measurement is an easy way to determine the effective circumference.

Hi Jeff, you are right. The effective tyre circumference is a bit less, that is why I provided System Theory with the actual radius I measured from the center of the wheel to the floor. It is 28 cms whilst from this wheel center to any other point but the contact patch is about 30 cms.

Regards.

CHICAGO said:
Hi Jeff, you are right. The effective tyre circumference is a bit less, that is why I provided System Theory with the actual radius I measured from the center of the wheel to the floor. It is 28 cms whilst from this wheel center to any other point but the contact patch is about 30 cms.
Although you measured 28 cms, the effective radius will be larger than that because the tire acts a bit like a tank tread. The deformation I mentioned is due to linear compression of the tread, not vertical.

I sampled the curve with a software tool to make this table. Read the table into an array for speed w {rad/s} and array for torque T {N-m} (note 9.807 Conv factor applies):
229.475 3.93939
252.324 4.02597
272.63 4.11255
290.392 4.19913
308.154 4.28571
325.883 4.43723
343.612 4.58874
366.473 4.65368
391.91 4.65368
417.347 4.65368
442.784 4.65368
468.222 4.65368
493.659 4.65368
516.585 4.58874
534.468 4.43723
552.352 4.28571
570.235 4.1342
590.673 3.96104
This code builds arrays for Force and Power versus velocity:
`CV2 Chassis
rho = 1.15 `{kg/m^3}
Af = 1.69 `{m^2}
Cd = 0.51 `{#}
r = 0.28 `{m}

`3rd Gear Transformer
G3 = 7.367 `#
F3 = G3*(T/r) `{N}
v3 = (w/G3)*r `{m/s}
vW = 60/3.6 `{m/s} headwind
R3 = 250 + 0.5*rho*Cd*Af*(v3 + vW)^2 `{N}
P3i = F3*v3 `{W}
P3o = R3*v3 `{W}

`4th Gear Transformer
G4 = 5.429 `#
F4 = G4*(T/r) `{N}
v4 = (w/G4)*r `{m/s}
R4 = 125 + 0.5*rho*Cd*Af*v4^2 `{N}
P4i = F4*v4 `{W}
P4o = R4*v4 `{W}

Note I added 250 {N} rolling resistance estimate in 3rd gear and 125{N} rolling resistance in 4th gear just to make the curves "look about right." Not sure if this factor of 1/2 is reasonable. In lower gears (higher reduction ratios) the friction in the engine tends to dominate the equilibrium. In higher gears (lower reduction ratios) the friction in the load starts to dominate the steady state equilibrium. Actual driveline friction is the hardest part of the model.

Also note the torque-speed curve got truncated a bit so plot does not go out to 120 kph top speed. Graphs attached with conversion to HP and kilometer per hour horizontal axis.

Attachments

• 2cvplots.png
    2cvplots.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
CHICAGO said:
On a no wind conditions and a leveled road, driving at 45/50 kms/hr in the 4th gear I step down the clutch pedal keeping the 4th gear engaged. The car then slows down and I start my timer just when the speed is 40km/h. Car keeps going decreasing speed and then I stop the timer just when my velocity is 15 km/hr. I did this several times back and forward to have a good average in case of slight wind or road slope I would not had noticed. I also logged the lap-times of 35,30,25 and 20 km/hr passing-by in order to get a better model.

So according to the time of decelerating from 40 down to 15 km/h and suppresing the small drag interference, I figured out my mean rolling resistance between 15 and 40 km/hr.

What I guess is that if I had the 4th gear engaged all the time I accounted the 4th gearbox rolling resistance as well, did I not?.

"Keeping the car in 4th gear" is actually a damn good idea (I don't think I would think of that), but unfortunately I don't think it would accurately show how much power is lost in the drivetrain. This is because drivetrain losses depend, approximately, on the power transmitten through them (although some people would argue this). Your test essentially spins the drivetrain under no load, which would significantly decrease it's internal friction.

What I'm saying is if you're going 40kph down hill, your drivetrain losses will be MUCH less than if you're going 40kph up hill (under load)...whereas rolling resistance will be almost the same throughout.

Also, I didn't quite understand if you accounted for the air resistance when figuring the rolling resistance. I figure the air resistance would start at around 65N and end at around 10N when doing the coast down test. This sounds pretty significant...

After that, you'd probably be going to deep into the exercise...

Yes, drivetrain frictional losses depend upon load. So with the engine at full-throttle, you will lose more than if you were coasting at the same speed. This is independent and separate from rolling-resistance (tyres & bearings).

Ok, I've added to your gearing table and calculated the RPMs your engine is actually running at 60km/h:
Chicago-Gearbox.jpg

Plot that on your dyno-chart's power-curve and we get:
Chicago-Power.jpg

As you can see, at 60km/h in 4th-gear, your engine is really ony generating 17-18hp, not 30hp. This is less power-output than using 3rd-gear @ 60km/hr where the engine is putting out 25hp. Regardless of the actual power-required to travel at 60km/hr into a headwind, you have more reserve power to accelerate to a higher-speed from 60km/h in 3rd-gear than 4th.

Also 120km/hr top-speed in 4th gear with no wind isn't fully optimized. The gear is too low and you are revving the engine past its maximum power-peak at 5100rpm. At 6000rpm, the engine's only generating 26-27hp; less than the 32hp @ 5100rpm. If you had 20% taller 4th-gear, you can reach a higher top-speed by matching the engine's maximum output to its calculated top-speed. In which case, you may see 125km/h.

Last edited:
Sorry gentlemen for my absence during the last two months.

I would like to thank you all for your high level responses which I have checked in the "real world" and all of them are quite accurate.

Thanks again.