Topology: Determine whether a subset is a retract of R^2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
nightingale123
Messages
25
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Let ##X=([1,\infty)\times\{0\})\cup(\cup_{n=1}^{\infty}\{n\}\times[0,1])## and ##Y=((0,\infty)\times\{0\})\cup(\cup_{n=1}^{\infty}\{n\}\times[0,1])##

##a)##Find subspaces of of the euclidean plane ##\mathbb{R}^2## which are homeomorphic to the compactification with one point ##X^+## and ##Y^+##

##b)## are any of the subspaces ##X## and ##Y## retracts of ##\mathbb{R}^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I was able to find the required subspaces for ##a)## and proved that they are homeomorphic, however I'm having some problems with ##b)##. I know that ##Y## cannot be a retract as it is not closed.

I got that since ##\mathbb{R}^2## is a metric space therefore ##T_{2}## and we know that if ##f,g:X\to Y## are continuous and ##Y\in T_{2}## then the set ##\{x|f(x)=g(x)\}\subset Y## is closed. However in this case ##Y=\mathbb{R}^2## and if there exists a retraction ##r:\mathbb{R}^2\to Y\subset \mathbb{R^2} ## the set ##\{x|r(x)=id_{x}(x)=x\}##,which is ##X##, must be closed. And since it is not. ## X ## cannot be a retraction. Can someone correct me here if I did something wrong?

However this argument does not work for ##X## as ##X## is closed. ##X## is also connected so that fails too. I can't find a homeomorphism between ##X## and ##\mathbb{R}##. Could someone clarify how we could determine whether X is a retract or not?

EDIT: I'm sorry for posting this in the advanced physics section. I just noticed it and I don't know how to change it
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have an intuition about X that may or may not turn out to be a hint that leads to a proof that X is not a retract. Call the retract function f.

X is a 'comb' that is an infinite horizontal row of vertical segments (tines) stuck onto the comb spine that is the x-axis to the right of (1,0).

Let B be X with the spine removed. If there exists a tine that does not intersect f(~X) then we'd expect there to be some sort of discontinuity at the tip of that tine, because points in ~X infinitesimally close to the tip must map to the spine while the tine tip must map to itself.

On the other hand, if every tine intersects with f(~X), we could partition ~X into pre-images of the tines and a pre-image of the spine, and we might expect to run into discontinuity problems at the boundaries of these pre-images.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nightingale123
I'm sorry but you kinda lost me at this part
andrewkirk said:
Let B be X with the spine removed. If there exists a tine that does not intersect f(~X) then we'd expect there to be some sort of discontinuity at the tip of that tine, because points in ~X infinitesimally close to the tip must map to the spine while the tine tip must map to itself.

On the other hand, if every tine intersects with f(~X), we could partition ~X into pre-images of the tines and a pre-image of the spine, and we might expect to run into discontinuity problems at the boundaries of these pre-images.
 
nightingale123 said:
I'm sorry but you kinda lost me at this part
For the first para, say for argument's sake the first tine ##T_1\equiv \{1\}\times (0,1]## does not intersect f(~X). Consider the tine's tip P=(1,1). We know ##f(P)=P=(1,1)##. But for any point ##Q\notin X## that is near P, f(Q) is not in ##T_1## so it will either be somewhere on the x-axis or on a different tine. In either case f(Q) will be distance at least 1 away from f(P), regardless of how close Q is to P. Can you use that to prove that f is discontinuous at P, which would mean that f is not a retraction function?