Topology Problem: Closure X Path-Connected?

• Thread starter mveritas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether a path-connected space remains path-connected when its closure is considered. The answer is no, as demonstrated by the example of the sine curve. This example is frequently used as a counterexample in topology and is a popular exam question.
mveritas
Hello, I have a question about topology.

If X is a path-connected space then is it also true that closure X is path-connected?

I think it's obvious, but I can't solve it clearly...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, this is a very good question. In fact, this very question was asked on my topology exam...

It is maybe obvious to you (and to me), but it is false. Consider

[tex]\{(x,\sin(1/x))~\vert~x\in ]0,1]\}\subseteq \mathbb{R}^2[/tex]

This is clearly a path connected set. However, it's closure is not path connected.

I suggest that you remember this example very well. Because it is a very frequent counterexample to all sort of connectedness-properties. And it's a popular exam question as well :smile:

micromass said:
Ah, this is a very good question. In fact, this very question was asked on my topology exam...

It is maybe obvious to you (and to me), but it is false. Consider

[tex]\{(x,\sin(1/x))~\vert~x\in ]0,1]\}\subseteq \mathbb{R}^2[/tex]

This is clearly a path connected set. However, it's closure is not path connected.

I suggest that you remember this example very well. Because it is a very frequent counterexample to all sort of connectedness-properties. And it's a popular exam question as well :smile:

-----------------------------------------------

Thank you!

It is used so often that it even has a (rather dull) name: the sine curve[/url].

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear [Name],

Thank you for reaching out with your question about topology. To answer your question, yes, it is true that if X is a path-connected space, then closure X is also path-connected. This can be proven using the definition of path-connectedness and the properties of closure in topology.

First, let's define what it means for a space to be path-connected. A space X is path-connected if for any two points x and y in X, there exists a continuous function f: [0,1] -> X such that f(0) = x and f(1) = y. In simpler terms, this means that there is a continuous path between any two points in X.

Now, let's consider the closure of X, denoted as cl(X). The closure of a set is the smallest closed set that contains all the points in the original set. In other words, it is the set of all limit points of X. We can also define it as the union of X and all its limit points.

Using these definitions, we can see that if X is path-connected, then for any two points x and y in cl(X), there exists a continuous function f: [0,1] -> X such that f(0) = x and f(1) = y. This is because cl(X) contains all the points in X, so any path between x and y in X will also be a path between x and y in cl(X). Additionally, because cl(X) is the union of X and its limit points, any path between x and y in cl(X) can also be extended to include the limit points in X.

In conclusion, the closure of a path-connected space is also path-connected. I hope this explanation helps clarify the problem for you. Feel free to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

Best,

1. What is a topology problem?

A topology problem involves the study of properties and structures of geometric objects that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching or bending. It is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the concept of topological spaces and their features.

2. What is closure in topology?

In topology, the closure of a set is defined as the set of all points that are either in the set itself or are limit points of the set. It is denoted by a bar over the set symbol, such as X̄. The closure is important in determining the boundary and interior of a set.

3. What does it mean for a set to be path-connected?

A set is said to be path-connected if there exists a continuous path between any two points in the set. This means that you can draw a line segment between any two points in the set without leaving the set. It is a property that is often used to describe the connectedness of a space.

4. How does closure relate to path-connectedness?

The closure of a path-connected set is also path-connected. This means that if a set has a continuous path between any two points, then the closure of that set will also have a continuous path between any two points. This is because the closure includes all the limit points of the original set, and any path between two points in the original set can be extended to include the limit points.

5. Why is the closure X path-connected problem important?

The closure X path-connected problem is important because it helps to understand the relationship between two important concepts in topology. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science and physics, where the study of topological spaces is crucial. This problem is often used to demonstrate the interconnectedness of different topological concepts and to develop mathematical proofs.