Topology Proof (Closed/Open Sets)

U - C = U \cap C^cIn summary, to prove that C - U is closed and U - C is open, we can use the definitions of set difference and complements. By writing C - U and U - C in terms of intersections, we can show that C - U is closed and U - C is open.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Let (X,T) be a topological space,
let C be a closed subset of X,
let U be an open subset of X.

Prove that C - U is closed and U - C is open.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to do this by 4 cases:

Case 1: Let U be a proper subset of C.
Then U - C = empty and hence is open.

Case 2: Let C be a proper subset of U.
Then C - U is empty and hence is closed.

Case 3: Let U be a proper subset of C.
Then C - U = ?

Case 4: Let C be a proper subset of U.
Then U - C = ?

Cases 3 and 4 are where I am stuck. Can someone give me some intuition to get me started on them? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't thinnk you need cases, I would start by writing the difference term using complements
[tex] C - U = C \cap U^c [/tex]

1. What is a closed set in topology?

A closed set in topology is a subset of a topological space that contains all of its limit points. In other words, if a sequence of points in the set converges, then the limit point is also contained in the set.

2. How is a closed set different from an open set?

An open set in topology is a subset of a topological space where every point has a neighborhood contained entirely within the set. A closed set, on the other hand, contains all of its limit points and may also contain its boundary points.

3. How do you prove that a set is closed?

To prove that a set is closed, you can use one of several methods, such as showing that the set contains all of its limit points, or proving that the complement of the set is open. Another method is to use the definition of closed sets, which states that a set is closed if and only if its complement is open.

4. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, in certain topological spaces, a set can be both open and closed. This is known as a clopen set. An example of a clopen set is the empty set or the entire topological space itself.

5. How are closed sets related to continuity?

Closed sets play a crucial role in the definition of continuity in topology. A function is continuous if and only if the pre-image of every closed set is also closed. In other words, the continuity of a function is closely tied to the properties of closed sets in the topological space.