1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toroids on graphics cards and some other circuits

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    I've seen toroids on graphics cards and some other circuits; what is their function? I know that they help in keeping a uniform magnetic field...but what do they do for a graphics card or any other device they're on?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    I really have no idea but I would imagine they have the same function as solenoids? Solenoids can cause changes in the amplitude and phase of an AC current/voltage, I can't imagine any reason why toroids would not have this effect.
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    Oh...sort of like an inductor...
  5. Apr 22, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Hi Gear300,

I think an advantage that toroids have over solenoids is that with a circular core the magnetic field is better confined. A straight solenoid would have its magnetic field escape from the core at each end, but the toroid would have a closed path.

(But I could be wrong; I've never used a toroid in a circuit.)
  6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    Yeah, I was actually wondering what would differentiate the use between the two; that actually does make sense; if the magnetic field is confined withing the toroid, it shouldn't disturb the rest of the circuit. Heh...thing is is that I sort of learned about a number of basic circuit elements without understanding how circuits take advantage of their effects.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?