Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Toroids on graphics cards and some other circuits

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    I've seen toroids on graphics cards and some other circuits; what is their function? I know that they help in keeping a uniform magnetic field...but what do they do for a graphics card or any other device they're on?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    I really have no idea but I would imagine they have the same function as solenoids? Solenoids can cause changes in the amplitude and phase of an AC current/voltage, I can't imagine any reason why toroids would not have this effect.

4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    Oh...sort of like an inductor...

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Gear300,

I think an advantage that toroids have over solenoids is that with a circular core the magnetic field is better confined. A straight solenoid would have its magnetic field escape from the core at each end, but the toroid would have a closed path.

(But I could be wrong; I've never used a toroid in a circuit.)

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    Yeah, I was actually wondering what would differentiate the use between the two; that actually does make sense; if the magnetic field is confined withing the toroid, it shouldn't disturb the rest of the circuit. Heh...thing is is that I sort of learned about a number of basic circuit elements without understanding how circuits take advantage of their effects.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook