• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Toroids on graphics cards and some other circuits

• Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
I've seen toroids on graphics cards and some other circuits; what is their function? I know that they help in keeping a uniform magnetic field...but what do they do for a graphics card or any other device they're on?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

I really have no idea but I would imagine they have the same function as solenoids? Solenoids can cause changes in the amplitude and phase of an AC current/voltage, I can't imagine any reason why toroids would not have this effect.

Oh...sort of like an inductor...

alphysicist
Homework Helper
Hi Gear300,

I think an advantage that toroids have over solenoids is that with a circular core the magnetic field is better confined. A straight solenoid would have its magnetic field escape from the core at each end, but the toroid would have a closed path.

(But I could be wrong; I've never used a toroid in a circuit.)

Yeah, I was actually wondering what would differentiate the use between the two; that actually does make sense; if the magnetic field is confined withing the toroid, it shouldn't disturb the rest of the circuit. Heh...thing is is that I sort of learned about a number of basic circuit elements without understanding how circuits take advantage of their effects.