Viber, Fax, other methods of using a credit card to pay

Ephant
Hi,

A company doesn't have an online store. They accept credit card payment via email or fax. Email is not secure. And I don't have a fax machine.

They don't use viber. What other medium that one can send credit card information except fax. And can't fax be intercepted?

Apprecited and thank for any assistance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Personally, if they don't provide the means to do shopping online, I would hesitate to go out of my way to make it work that way. In other words, I would just go there and do this in person.

You're right to not send credit card data via E-mail, I also wouldn't do it via fax. Because the shop can misuse that also (do you know them? And thrust them?). And if they receive a Fax, and leave that fax laying around somewhere, some employee might take advantage. These are all things the online credit card payment methods protect you against (in that case the shop doesn't even get to see your credit card number).

Ephant said:
A company doesn't have an online store. They accept credit card payment via email or fax. Email is not secure. And I don't have a fax machine.

They don't use viber. What other medium that one can send credit card information except fax. And can't fax be intercepted?
Credit card information is not supposed to be sent to anyone. It's supposed to be used electronically only, either at a POS or online. It's highly insecure to send your CC number, expiry, or CVV to anyone so that they can process it without your physical presence.

Fax is anyway from the previous generation and not used anywhere nowadays. I would strictly forbid myself from buying from this company. If they are doing remote business, but don't accept any online payment like PayPal etc., it's a red flag. If they can't make this minimum venture, they are not worth your money IMHO.

If you still need to purchase from them, I would recommend visiting them physically. I am not sure of your country, but in my country, the postal service has something called "Money order". I pay a certain amount of money in cash at a post office near my house, and the postal service, in turn, pays the recipient in cash at their location. Transaction slips are preserved in this system, thereby giving you an option to prove your payment in Court if the need arises.

Likes russ_watters, jack action and Arjan82
I've purchased things from companies which typically do business with other companies. They don't have a retail front which you can visit to "do this in person." Both replies so far seem to be from people who haven't ever had to deal with a company like that, and while they're wise to suggest caution, they also veer into fear-mongering.

I also wouldn't do it via fax. Because the shop can misuse that also (do you know them? And trust them?). And if they receive a Fax, and leave that fax lying around somewhere, some employee might take advantage.

Wrichik Basu said:
Credit card information is not supposed to be sent to anyone. It's supposed to be used electronically only, either at a POS or online. It's highly insecure to send your CC number, expiry, or CVV to anyone so that they can process it without your physical presence.
When you type in your credit card info on a website and hit the "place order" button, that same info gets transmitted to the company, and it could just as easily be stored and misused. Sending a FAX is just a different method of communicating that same info.

Fax is anyway from the previous generation and not used anywhere nowadays.
That's not true. It's not used as much as it was in the past, but it's still in use.

I actually had to send a FAX sometime during the last five years or so. Fortunately, my ISP at the time offered an electronic FAX service. If I didn't have access to that, I'd probably have gone to Staples to send it.

vela said:
When you type in your credit card info on a website and hit the "place order" button, that same info gets transmitted to the company, and it could just as easily be stored and misused. Sending a FAX is just a different method of communicating that same info.

This is simply not true. An online shop, when setup correctly, will never see your credit card number as a whole, and most definitely not including the csv number and expiry date.

There are ample stories where dodgy (online) shops misusing the thrust of their customers. Calling for caution to this fear mongering seems way too strong to me.

Likes russ_watters
Arjan82 said:
This is simply not true. An online shop, when setup correctly, will never see your credit card number as a whole, and most definitely not including the csv number and expiry date.
If I go into my Amazon account and try to add a credit card, it asks for my credit card number—the whole thing—and the expiration date. On another site where I made a purchase last week, it asks for the CVV number to verify it is me using the stored card info.

Competent sites won't store the credit card info after its use is authorized, but to claim that you never send that info to another party when first using a credit card at a site is patently wrong.

A web store that is using an acceptable payment solution will use a third party solution that verifies the payment with your bank using two factor authentication. If they don't you and if you don't have a separate (very good) reason to trust them (it is your brother, long time business partner, trusted thirdparty, etc (assuming you trust anyone)) you should not trust them with your credit card or banking details.

Last edited:
This thread seems to ask the question, "is it better to hide my house key under the welcome mat or on the doorsill?"

Definitely under the door mat with a sign that says only a fool hides a key is under the door mat so don't be a fool and look there. The thief is no fool hence your house is secure.

Wrichik Basu said:
Fax is anyway from the previous generation and not used anywhere nowadays.
I assume you don't mean JUST for payment but in you mean it isn't used in general, in which case you are completely wrong. The medical profession uses it regularly. For example, doctor's offices fax prescriptions to pharmacies, and there are other medical business uses as well:
https://med.stanford.edu/school/lea...your-doctors-office-still-depends-on-fax.html

Likes russ_watters
vela said:
When you type in your credit card info on a website and hit the "place order" button, that same info gets transmitted to the company, and it could just as easily be stored and misused. Sending a FAX is just a different method of communicating that same info
Yes, and that's why I also avoid using shady websites. Most websites, even scammers, in my country often just deploy one of the already available payment gateways. These gateways do not send the card information, except the last four digits, to the company. They share the transaction status and reference number for the order processing to be complete.

In my country, as per the directives from the Govt., no website can store the CVV of the card. In addition, for any online transaction to be completed, an OTP has to be entered. The only exception that I have seen is PayPal, which does none of these, and I am not sure how it has not been warned till now.

Likes russ_watters
Some banks/card issuers offer one time use credit card numbers. You could also buy and use a gift card for the exact amount you need to spend.

But I agree it's much much worse to knowingly send the numbers in the clear/on paper as opposed to using a processing service you think but aren't certain is secure.

You guys are saying you have not encountered any company that asks credit cards information anymore (like the 3 digit, expiration date and number)? Or is it still legal for some company that asks this? Right now. You can't even find a company that offers this? It's so rare now?

What if after you gave the company the credit card information and they applied it to your purchase, you immediately cancel the card and let the credit card company send you a new one?

Here in the USA, the credit card companies willingly accept, and recognize, a request to reverse an unauthorized charge. They will cancel the charge to you and even if the crooks already collected on it, they will deduct it from the next payment to that company. Additionally, my credit card number was leaked during an out-of-state trip one time, and the card company called and asked me if I had made a specific purchase. I told the No and the charge never appeared on my bill.

Many years ago I convinced my bank to not honor a check I used to pay for some used electronic equipment. The equipment was presented as 'fully functional' but did not work.
I called the bank and requested they not honor the check. Of course they wanted to know why. I told them "Merchandise not as advertised and represented." The seller was, of course, rather upset when the check bounced, but I returned the bad equipment and that was the end of it.

So, at least in the USA, you do (or did) have SOME recourse.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. You are still better off being very careful though!

Last edited:
Likes Ephant

1. What is Viber and how can it be used to pay with a credit card?

Viber is a messaging and calling app that also offers a feature called Viber Out, which allows users to make calls to landlines and mobile numbers. To use Viber Out to pay with a credit card, you need to first add a credit card to your Viber account and then purchase Viber Out credits. These credits can then be used to make calls to non-Viber users.

2. Can I use my credit card to send a fax?

Yes, there are several online services that allow you to send faxes using a credit card. These services typically charge a per-page fee for sending faxes, which is deducted from your credit card. Some services also offer subscription plans for frequent fax users.

3. Are there any risks associated with using a credit card to pay through Viber or fax?

As with any online transaction, there is always a risk of fraud or unauthorized access to your credit card information. However, reputable messaging and fax services use encryption and other security measures to protect your information. It is important to only use trusted and secure websites when making payments with a credit card.

4. Can I use a prepaid credit card to pay through Viber or fax?

Yes, most messaging and fax services accept prepaid credit cards as a form of payment. However, it is important to ensure that your prepaid card has enough funds to cover the transaction before attempting to make a payment. Some services may also have restrictions on using prepaid cards for certain transactions.

5. Is it possible to reverse a payment made through Viber or fax with a credit card?

In general, it is not possible to reverse a payment made with a credit card through Viber or fax. However, if there is an issue with the transaction or you believe it was made fraudulently, you can contact your credit card company to dispute the charge. It is important to carefully review your transactions and report any unauthorized charges as soon as possible to protect your account.