Torque on a fixed reference of falling masses

In summary: The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in the relationship between torque and angular acceleration. In summary, in the thought experiment described, it was found that the torque produced by the nearest object's weight is greater than the torque produced by the farther object's weight, resulting in a larger angular acceleration. However, this can be explained by considering the moment of inertia, which affects the relationship between torque and angular acceleration.
FG_313
I had a little thought experiment, in which there are two objects with the same masses near each other (same height) on freefall. If I set up a point that is on an instant besides the two masses and call it the center of torque, I get that the torque produced by the nearest one's weight is T=F.d, where d is the distance to the imaginary point. The other one is T'=Fd', where d'>d and F=mg. I find that the torque T'>T and so I expect a'>a, where a is angular acceleration. But for a small instant of time, the geometry of the problem will tell you that the angle of the first mass made with the point (call it o) is larger than the angle the other one is making, because they are falling on the same rate. And so o'<o and a'>a. That for me is very difficult to understand why... Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
FG_313 said:
I find that the torque T'>T and so I expect a'>a, where a is angular acceleration.
Hi FG_313, welcome to PF!

Why do you expect that? What is the formula relating torque and angular acceleration? Does it involve any other quantity?

Thanks for the quick answer, don't know why I missed something like that. If the moment of inertia is considered the result makes sense.

Exactly!

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or rotational force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the point of application and the axis of rotation.

2. How does torque affect falling masses on a fixed reference?

When a mass is falling on a fixed reference, the torque acting on the mass can cause it to rotate or change its direction of motion. This is because the torque produced by the gravitational force on the mass causes it to rotate around the fixed reference point.

3. How is the torque on a falling mass calculated?

The torque on a falling mass can be calculated using the formula: torque = force x distance from reference point. The force is the weight of the mass, and the distance is the perpendicular distance from the reference point to the line of action of the force.

4. Can torque on a falling mass be negative?

Yes, torque on a falling mass can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to the mass is in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to rotate in the opposite direction.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect torque on a fixed reference?

The distribution of mass can affect the torque on a fixed reference by changing the distance between the point of application of force and the axis of rotation. A larger distance will result in a higher torque, while a smaller distance will result in a lower torque.