Torque problem - game show wheel

In summary, the wheel on a game show has an initial angular speed of 1.25 rad/s in the counterclockwise direction. It comes to a rest after rotating through 3/4 of a turn. The torque exerted on the wheel is .5654.
FlipStyle1308
A solid wheel on a game show is given an initial angular speed of 1.25 rad/s in the counterclockwise direction. It comes to rest after rotating through 3/4 of a turn.

Find the torque exerted on the wheel given that it is a disk of radius 0.73 m and mass 6.4 kg.

I got 0.5654 as the answer, but it's not correct. Anyone able to help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you obtained that answer so we can see where you made your mistake?

I used mr^2 = (6.4)(0.73)^2 = 3.41056. Then I plugged that into Wf^2 = Wi^2 + 2 (angular acceleration) (delta theta) => 0 = (1.25)^2 + (angular acceleration) (1.5 pi) => 0.1658. Then I multiplied that by 3.41056 to get 0.5654 as my torque.

mr2 is the moment of inertia for a point object about a point a distance r away.

You are not dealing with a point, but with an entire disc. The moment of ineria of a disc about the central axis is a slightly different expression.

Here is a helpful website that shows the moments of inertia of various objects: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#cmi

You can either memorize the formulas or derive them by integrating, depending what your teacher/professor requires you to do.

Okay, so I use T = 1/2 mr^2. Then once I get the inertia, do I still multiply it by 0.1658, the angular acceleration I got, in order to get torque?

Yes, that looks right.

Wait...how do I incorporate the 3/4 of a turn into this problem? Do I translate that to 1.5 pi?

Yes, you already encorporated that into your work earlier:
FlipStyle1308 said:
I used mr^2 = (6.4)(0.73)^2 = 3.41056. Then I plugged that into Wf^2 = Wi^2 + 2 (angular acceleration) (delta theta) => 0 = (1.25)^2 + (angular acceleration) (1.5 pi) => 0.1658. Then I multiplied that by 3.41056 to get 0.5654 as my torque.
All of that work is right, except that you used mr2 instead of 1/2mr2

Edit: Your answer for acceleration of .1658 looks right but you probably made a typo when posting the equation that's underlined, since your previous equation of "Wf^2 = Wi^2 + 2 (angular acceleration) (delta theta)" is right.

Last edited:
Will my answer end up negative or positive? Cuz my result for the angular acceleration is negative.

If you define clockwise as negative and counterclockwise as positive it makes sense that the torque is negative because it is acting in the clockwise direction, causing the wheel to stop. You just have to be consistant as to the signs you use.

You are finding the torque excerted that causes the wheel to stop, right? That's what you solved for. If you are trying to find the torque that the person who spun the wheel applied then I don't think you have enough information.

Last edited:
Never mind, I got it. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to the game show wheel?

The game show wheel is designed to spin based on the torque applied to it. The contestants must apply enough force to overcome the resistance of the wheel in order to make it spin.

3. What factors affect the torque on the game show wheel?

The two main factors that affect torque on the game show wheel are the force applied and the distance from the pivot point to where the force is applied. The weight of the wheel and any other external forces can also impact the torque.

4. How can contestants increase their chances of spinning the game show wheel?

Contestants can increase their chances of spinning the game show wheel by applying more force and increasing the distance from the pivot point to where the force is applied. They can also try to find the "sweet spot" on the wheel where the weight is distributed evenly, making it easier to spin.

5. Is there an optimal angle for applying force to the game show wheel?

Yes, there is an optimal angle for applying force to the game show wheel. The angle should be perpendicular to the radius of the wheel in order to maximize the torque and increase the chances of spinning the wheel.