Is Chelsea's 50 million pound purchase of Torres worth it?

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the high transfer fees and salaries for soccer (football) players, particularly in the UK. The speaker expresses their disapproval of the excessive amounts of money being thrown around in the sport, especially during a recession and in a country with many financial struggles. They also compare these fees and salaries to those in American sports, where there are no transfer fees and players are paid directly by the teams. The conversation also touches on the UK's heavy focus on sports and the prioritization of funding for events like the Olympics over other important areas like education. Overall, the conversation highlights the debate and controversy surrounding the financial aspects of professional sports.
jarednjames said:
Certainly, but aside from the odd few I don't see anything fantastic for the most part with any of those players.
There is a huge difference between the players you see on the street and those who play in the fourth division League Two. There is a huge difference between the top League Two team and the bottom Premier team. That you cannot see the difference is irrelevant. You don't know the subtleties of the sport; from what you have posted you don't even like the sport.

The sport does not care what you think. They care about what the fans think -- and how much the fans will pay. A similar situation exists between American football and me. I don't like American football; I think it is an extremely boring sport. Call me Un-American, but I will not be watching the Superbowl this Sunday. The NFL apparently doesn't give a hoot what I think. Imagine that!

Physics news on Phys.org
D H said:
There is a huge difference between the players you see on the street and those who play in the fourth division League Two. There is a huge difference between the top League Two team and the bottom Premier team. That you cannot see the difference is irrelevant. You don't know the subtleties of the sport;

I understand the "subtleties" and the differences between the levels. But, it doesn't change what I posted. I suppose my problem lies more with the players themselves than the game.

I'm not seeing a sport where people do their best and the clubs go for this. I'm seeing a sport where clubs compete for the so called 'best' players simply to draw a crowd - and unfortunately that seems to be what the fans want.
from what you have posted you don't even like the sport.

Really? I actually enjoy watching it.
The sport does not care what you think.

Never said it does.
They care about what the fans think -- and how much the fans will pay.

I believe that's been an integral part of my complaint.

If I were running a business, I would be primarily focused on how much money I can make. So at that point, its the consumers(fans) who guide my business model. Fernando Torres may well be worth 120 million to the club over a three year period, I can't say otherwise.

I have separate issues with the league and the players. I feel like the players are spoiled babies. There is an atrocious amount of unsportsmanlike behaviour across all levels of play including international tournaments. If you took a baseball umpire and put him on a soccer field, there would be 6 red cards in the first half.

dacruick said:
If I were running a business, I would be primarily focused on how much money I can make. So at that point, its the consumers(fans) who guide my business model. Fernando Torres may well be worth 120 million to the club over a three year period, I can't say otherwise.

I have separate issues with the league and the players. I feel like the players are spoiled babies. There is an atrocious amount of unsportsmanlike behaviour across all levels of play including international tournaments. If you took a baseball umpire and put him on a soccer field, there would be 6 red cards in the first half.

You know, I think you've summed up perfectly what I feel in this one post. Although I do stand by what I said above.

dacruick said:

ROFL, baseball fan. And Americans keep saying football is a bunch of "pu$$ies" running around and falling pretending to get hurt. Now you're saying its too violent.

Curl said:
ROFL, baseball fan. And Americans keep saying football is a bunch of "pu$$ies" running around and falling pretending to get hurt. Now you're saying its too violent.

He's talking about attitude.

Curl said:

I am actually not a baseball fan. And nor am I American. And I also did not say that it is too violent. You are putting words into my mouth and its making you look childish(or maybe it was the 'ROFL' that did that). It is the unsportsmanlike conduct that is offensive to me and I would be handing out red cards for dives like candy on Halloween. Let's see how long it takes for diving drills in practice to stop if the leagues crack down on it and start handing out suspensions.

It sets a terrible example for kids, and it taints the sport. The amount of soccer players and fans that have told me "diving is a part of the game" is astounding, its like they don't resent it at all. So yes to what Chris said, I am talking about an attitude. And funnily enough you don't seem to have a great one yourself, maybe there's a trend.