Total Derivatives and Linear Mappings .... D&K Example 2.2.5 ....

In summary, in "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk, Example 2.2.5 states that for every $h \in \mathbb{R}^n$, $A(a + h) - A(a) = A(h)$ and there is no remainder term. This is because the derivative of $A$ at $a$ is the unique linear mapping $DA(a)$ satisfying $A(a + h) = A(a) + DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)$ with $\epsilon_a(h) = o(\|h\|)$, and when $DA(a) = A$, the remainder
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: Differentiation ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Example 2.2.5 ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk's Example 2.2.5 read as follows:View attachment 7825
View attachment 7826In the above text by D&K we read the following:

" ... ... Indeed \(\displaystyle A(a+h) - A(a) = A(h)\), for every \(\displaystyle h \in \mathbb{R}^n\); and there is no remainder term. ... ... "Now I can see that

\(\displaystyle A(a + h) = A(a) + A(h)\) ... ... (1) from the definition of A ...

and in (2.10) we have ...

\(\displaystyle A(a +h) - A(a) = DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)\) ... ... (2)

So ... from (1) and (2) we get

\(\displaystyle A(h) = DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)\)

... BUT ... why, in D&K's terms is "there no remainder term" ...

... in other words ... why is \(\displaystyle \epsilon_a(h) = 0\) ...
Hope someone can help ...

Peter
==========================================================================================***NOTE***

The above post refers to equation (2.10) which occurs in Definition 2.2.2 ... so I am providing Definition 2.2.2 and the accompanying text ... as follows:View attachment 7827
View attachment 7828I hope that helps readers understand the context and notation of the above post ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: Differentiation ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Example 2.2.5 ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk's Example 2.2.5 read as follows:
In the above text by D&K we read the following:

" ... ... Indeed \(\displaystyle A(a+h) - A(a) = A(h)\), for every \(\displaystyle h \in \mathbb{R}^n\); and there is no remainder term. ... ... "Now I can see that

\(\displaystyle A(a + h) = A(a) + A(h)\) ... ... (1) from the definition of A ...

and in (2.10) we have ...

\(\displaystyle A(a +h) - A(a) = DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)\) ... ... (2)

So ... from (1) and (2) we get

\(\displaystyle A(h) = DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)\)

... BUT ... why, in D&K's terms is "there no remainder term" ...

... in other words ... why is \(\displaystyle \epsilon_a(h) = 0\) ...

By (2.10), the derivative of $A$ at $a$ is the (unique, remember the lemma on uniqueness we discussed) linear mapping $DA(a)$ satisfying
\[
A(a + h) = A(a) + DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)
\]
with $\epsilon_a(h) = o(\|h\|)$. Now, as follows from what you wrote yourself, the above equality is satisfied for $DA(a) = A$, because in that case $\epsilon_a(h) \equiv 0$ identically, and clearly $0 = o(\|h\|)$. Since derivatives are unique, it follows that $DA(a) = A$ and the remainder vanishes identically. The latter is what they mean by saying that there is no remainder term.

Last edited:
Krylov said:
By (2.10), the derivative of $A$ at $a$ is the (unique, remember the lemma on uniqueness we discussed) linear mapping $DA(a)$ satisfying
\[
A(a + h) = A(a) + DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)
\]
with $\epsilon_a(h) = o(\|h\|)$. Now, as follows from what you wrote yourself, the above equality is satisfied for $DA(a) = A$, because in that case $\epsilon_a(h) \equiv 0$ identically, and clearly $0 = o(\|h\|)$. Since derivatives are unique, it follows that $DA(a) = A$ and the remainder vanishes identically. The latter is what they mean by saying that there is no remainder term.

Oh! OK ... get the idea ...

Thanks ...

Peter

What is a total derivative?

A total derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. It takes into account the effect of each variable on the function and gives a complete description of its behavior.

What is a linear mapping?

A linear mapping is a function that preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, the output of a linear mapping is equal to the sum of its inputs and can be multiplied by a constant factor without changing the function's behavior.

How do you calculate a total derivative?

To calculate a total derivative, you need to take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then use the chain rule to combine them. This will give you an expression that represents the total derivative of the function.

What is the significance of Example 2.2.5 in D&K?

Example 2.2.5 in D&K (Differential Equations and Linear Algebra) is used to illustrate the concept of linear mappings and how they can be used to represent a system of differential equations. It also shows how to calculate total derivatives and use them to solve differential equations.

Can total derivatives be used in real-world applications?

Yes, total derivatives have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as in fluid dynamics or electrical circuits.