1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Total energy of a shell charge

1. May 2, 2017 #1
    Suppose a spherical shell is kept at the orgin. Its surface charge density is ##\sigma## and radius is ##R##.

I think I remember the formula for its electric potential energy is ##U = \displaystyle {Q^2 \over 2R}##.

Now I want to derive it. I used ##\displaystyle U =\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} \vec E\cdot \vec E\ \ dv##.

I know that electric field by an sperical shell is ##Q\over R^2##.

So I got,

##\displaystyle U =\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} {Q^2\over R^4}\ \ dv = \displaystyle\dfrac{Q^2 }{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} {1 \over R^4 }\ \ dv##

Then I used ##v = {4\pi \over 3}R^3## to get ##\displaystyle \left({3v \over 4 \pi}\right)^{1/3} = R##

Back in integral, ##U = \displaystyle\dfrac{Q^2 }{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} \left({4 \pi \over {3v} }\right)^{4/3}\ \ dv##

For limits ##v \to \infty## I got the desired answer.

Is this correct ? I have some confusions because the proofs I saw on internet involve triple integral and spherical coordinates.

I think I am doing something wrong as why would anybody use spherical coordinates for such a simple proof ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2017 #2
  4. May 2, 2017 #3
  5. May 2, 2017 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

You could write the integral as (a much simplified version of spherical coordinates) ## \int \limits_{R_o}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{r^4} (4 \pi r^2) dr ## and you get the same result. Meanwhile, a (editing: scratch "alternative") proof of the original formula is to add ## dQ ## from ## Q= 0 ## to ## Q_o ## with ## dU=(\frac{Q}{R_o}) dQ ## so that ## U=Q_o^2/(2 R_o) ##.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  6. May 2, 2017 #5
    I did not understand the integral.

Isnt ##\displaystyle \int E\cdot E dv = \iiint E\cdot E dx dy dz##.
    How do you get ##R## in here ?

7. May 2, 2017 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I did two different integrals. The first one is one that you did, over ## dv ## where you replaced ## r^4 ## with an expression for ## v ##. The simpler way to do that is to use the surface area of a sphere is ## 4 \pi r^2 ## so that with spherical symmetry ## dv=4 \pi r^2 \, dr ##. (Otherwise, in polar coordinates ## dv=r^2 sin(\theta) d \theta \, d \phi \, dr ## where ## \theta ## integrates from ## 0 ## to ## \pi ## and ## \phi ## integrates from ## 0 ## to ## 2 \pi ##.) ## \\ ## The second integral was one where you assemble the charge on a sphere, and the potential energy ## dU ## for each ## dQ ## that you add is ## dU=(Q/R_o)dQ ##. The energy required depends on the charge that is already there. The charge ## Q ## that is already there determines the potential ## V ## at that instant which the charge ## dQ ## encounters when it gets added to the shell. (You gave the formula for this one at the very beginning, but without a derivation.)

Last edited: May 2, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted