Total energy of satellite in orbit

In summary, the weight of a satellite in a circular orbit around the Earth is half of its weight on the surface of the Earth. To determine the altitude and speed of the satellite, equations for gravitational force and potential energy were used. The minimum energy required to move the satellite from its orbit to outer space was calculated by including the kinetic energy due to tangential velocity. The answer provided by the book may be incorrect as it neglects the initial kinetic energy of the satellite.
cyt91

Homework Statement

The weight of a satellite in a circular orbit round the Earth is half of its weight on the surface of the Earth. If the mass of the satellite is 800kg, determine
(i)the altitude of the satellite
(ii)the speed of the satellite in the orbit
(iii)the minimum energy required to move the satellite from its orbit to outer space.

Radius of Earth = 6.4 x 10^6 m
Mass of Earth = 6.0 x10^24 kg

Homework Equations

Gravitational force = -GMm/(r^2)
W=mg
Gravitational potential energy = -GMm/r
Kinetic energy of satellite = GMm/(2r)

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) GMm/(r^2)=mg
GMm/(r'^2)=0.5mg
Solving, r'=(2^0.5)r
Altitude,h=r'-r
=(2^0.5-1)(6.4 x 10^6)
= 2.7 x 10^6 m

(ii) GMm/(r^2)= (mv^2)/r
v=(GM/(r)^0.5
Solving using r=2^0.5 x 6.4 x 10^6 m
v = 6.7 x 10^3 m/s

(iii) Total energy of satellite in orbit is
T=U+K
When removed to outer space,energy of satellite should be U=0 and K=0 since we want to find the minimum energy required.
Thus,
Energy required,E= 0 - (U+K)
E = 0 -(-GMm/r-GMm/(2r))
= GMm/(2r)
Solving using r= (2^0.5) x 6.4 x 10^6 m and m= 800kg
E=1.8 x 10^7 J

Please check my working,especially the third part of the question. When calculating Minimum energy required to remove the satellite to outer space, we should take into account the kinetic energy of the satellite shouldn't we?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you've got it essentially right. When calculating minimum escape energy, the idea is to include the kinetic energy due to tangential velocity and then apply force in the tangential direction. This takes a lot less energy than directing your force radially and moving out to infinity -- half as much, in fact, I think.

Your algebra looks solid.

fuzzywolf said:
I think you've got it essentially right. When calculating minimum escape energy, the idea is to include the kinetic energy due to tangential velocity and then apply force in the tangential direction. This takes a lot less energy than directing your force radially and moving out to infinity -- half as much, in fact, I think.

Your algebra looks solid.

Thanks. Then the answer provided by my book is incorrect. They neglected the initial kinetic energy of the satellite. Thanks for checking my work.:smile:

1. What is the total energy of a satellite in orbit?

The total energy of a satellite in orbit is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy of position.

2. How is the total energy of a satellite in orbit calculated?

The total energy of a satellite in orbit can be calculated using the equation E = KE + PE, where E is the total energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy. The values for KE and PE can be determined using other equations, such as KE = 1/2mv^2 and PE = -GmM/r, where m is the mass of the satellite, v is its velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet it's orbiting, and r is the distance between the satellite and the planet.

3. How does the total energy of a satellite in orbit affect its orbit?

The total energy of a satellite in orbit determines the shape and stability of its orbit. If the total energy is negative, the orbit will be elliptical and the satellite will continue to orbit the planet. If the total energy is positive, the orbit will be hyperbolic and the satellite will escape the planet's gravitational pull.

4. Can the total energy of a satellite in orbit change?

Yes, the total energy of a satellite in orbit can change. This can happen if the satellite experiences a change in velocity, such as a boost from a rocket or a gravitational slingshot from another object. Changes in the position of the planet or other objects in the system can also affect the total energy of the satellite.

5. How does the total energy of a satellite in orbit relate to its potential to escape its orbit?

The total energy of a satellite in orbit is directly related to its potential to escape its orbit. If the total energy is positive, the satellite has enough energy to escape its orbit and will continue to move away from the planet. If the total energy is negative, the satellite will remain in orbit around the planet.