1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Energy

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    In my notes,

http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~pmonthou/Statistical-Mechanics/documents/SM3.pdf [Broken]

on page 1 we are told we're dealing with systems of fixed total E but in the expilicit example on page 3, do we not find 4 different values for the total energy. how is this possible?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. The point is to look at how many different microstates (arrangements of up/down spins) correspond to the same macrostate (total energy). This is used to give us entropy as a function of total energy, S(E).

Notice that total energy is still an input parameter. So once we find the function S(E), we can fix E to be any particular allowed value.

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    yes but this is supposed to be an isolated system hence E is fixed

yet in the table we have E being -3mH, -mH +mH, +3mH which means it's not fixed. i guess i just cant really follow your argument sorry

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're not talking about a single system, but an ensemble of many possible systems. Each of those systems has a different energy and entropy. Your notes describe how to find the entropy as a function of energy, S(E).

Once we know S(E), we can then calculate properties of any particular system of some given energy E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook